What did you do to your boat today?

HewesYourDaddy

8 hours ago, JEM said:

Hhhmmmmm.  That is a new one on me too!  Makes sense tho.  I assume this prevents water from running up around the jp motor?  If it prevents water from being "scooped" up there, if some water does get up there, I assume there is a way for that water to drain?  It looks like water can still drain down around the edges?  Are you going to be able to see/measure/feel any performance gains?  So, the only real performance benefit is a quicker hole shot?   How much did the plate cost?

Yes, the splash plate does not have a tight seal on the jack plate, so water is able to drain out easily.  The main reason for the splash plate is quicker hole-shot, but I am also getting a lot of back-wash when coming off of a plane.  This should help with that too.  I have not tested it yet, but I will report back here when I see the results - compared to the hole-shot times before installation.  The Atlas Hole-Shot plate costs about $50.00 and the same from Bob's costs about $100.00 - Bob's calls it a Splash Pan

11 hours ago, geeviam said:

A jack plate added to the transom of a boat is like adding a scoop that catches and funnels water through itself because it is practically hollow.  Adding a hole-shot plate to the bottom of your jack plate prevents water from getting caught up in the JP and causing drag when you throttle up on plane, thereby providing a quicker hole-shot (time to plane from a stand-still).  Adding a hole-shot plate will also prevent excessive water from gushing up through the jack plate and coming up into the transom splash well, when coming off of a plane as well.

I made one ten years ago when I had a 16 RF with a hopped up V-4 tlrb 115 . It didn't hurt my hole shot but didn't help it .It did help if you backed up fast water didn't go up the inside of the Jack plate into the hull . You have to be carefull if the rear of the drag plate is angled down and if it is in the water at speed it will add drag and hurt bow lift. Make sure the rear of the drag plate is angled up or straight and above the water at speed. The drag racers use these for hole shot and to keep the nose down during initial launch.  Eagle One had one made from carbon fiber that was a combo stabilizer/ drag plate that worked well on my RF years ago until it cracked. With all the low end torque of the VF 115 SHO  you may not need anything to help hole shot. Sometimes it is easier to make a boat go slower than faster ,keep it out of the water at speed. Joe R

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dabear said:

I made one ten years ago when I had a 16 RF with a hopped up V-4 tlrb 115 . It didn't hurt my hole shot but didn't help it .It did help if you backed up fast water didn't go up the inside of the Jack plate into the hull . You have to be carefull if the rear of the drag plate is angled down and if it is in the water at speed it will add drag and hurt bow lift. Make sure the rear of the drag plate is angled up or straight and above the water at speed. The drag racers use these for hole shot and to keep the nose down during initial launch.  Eagle One had one made from carbon fiber that was a combo stabilizer/ drag plate that worked well on my RF years ago until it cracked. With all the low end torque of the VF 115 SHO  you may not need anything to help hole shot. Sometimes it is easier to make a boat go slower than faster ,keep it out of the water at speed. Joe R

Good info.  Thanks Joe!

On 7/3/2017 at 11:34 AM, geeviam said:

Yes, the splash plate does not have a tight seal on the jack plate, so water is able to drain out easily.  The main reason for the splash plate is quicker hole-shot, but I am also getting a lot of back-wash when coming off of a plane.  This should help with that too.  I have not tested it yet, but I will report back here when I see the results - compared to the hole-shot times before installation.  The Atlas Hole-Shot plate costs about $50.00 and the same from Bob's costs about $100.00 - Bob's calls it a Splash Pan

I tested the new Hole-Shot Plate/Splash Pan setup on Wednesday.  With the JP raised 2-1/2" so that the bottom of the JP was flush with the splash pan, the hole-shot was about 20% quicker.  There was also much less back-wash when coming off of a plane.  I am happy with the results and recommend this add-on for anyone using a jack plate.

It works out great actually. I get no grief for going in the boat (especially when I take the kids). She goes shopping or has time to herself, I go boating/fishing and have man time.  She doesn't mind riding to the Crab Company or other places for dinner in the boat, however.  It really is an issue with the heat. She doesn't like hot weather. She will go in the boat in winter without argue. She's weird   

12 hours ago, BradM said:

I've been working in mine a lot lately, but today I finally got around to installing my Battery Tender trolling motor plug. Next up is the switch panel and switches. 

Best investment you can make !!!

I've had mine for 2.5 years now, keep it clean and sprayed with corrosion block....not an issue with my TM shorting out or not connecting to my remote, etc.

Excellent product.

dc

4 hours ago, HewesYourDaddy said:

That plug is on my priority list after I get a new TM or get mine repaired. 

I have since seen that it comes (or did)  in white, which I didn't know when I got mine. Not that I mind it being black, but it would have looked a little cleaner in white.

DC, I think you're the reason I bought it. The lugged connections are solid and the screw system is genius. I like how it pushes the connection apart as much as it pulls it together. Very slick! Thank for the heads up on an excellent and affordable product!  

5 hours ago, BradM said:

I have since seen that it comes (or did)  in white, which I didn't know when I got mine. Not that I mind it being black, but it would have looked a little cleaner in white.

DC, I think you're the reason I bought it. The lugged connections are solid and the screw system is genius. I like how it pushes the connection apart as much as it pulls it together. Very slick! Thank for the heads up on an excellent and affordable product!  

I learned from others as well.....great to have a positive forum and learning.

dc

• Like 1