What did you do to your boat today?

HewesYourDaddy

Been working on family house project with little time to fish...but, things coming to an end....and had a few hours while some painting was curing....

Loaded up the goodies on the skiff:

Total Scan

Simrad NSS09 Evo2

Gofree Wifi...

Will take it out for a run tomorrow...let's see how everything works :)

IMG_7122.thumb.jpg.c2ca2c5611189a5d7057f6b02633d645.jpgIMG_7124.thumb.jpg.4c591fb91ff4517d01dcc6ce7d81ece1.jpgIMG_7127.thumb.jpg.46443be183782fb21bb5221be13da323.jpg

gofree wifi simple connection....great toy.

gofree.thumb.jpg.dc9fa4f9f0f95239d57b20fb1caf88f8.jpg

• Like 1

Took my "new to me" 1997 Master Angler in for new throttle cables and asked them to check the lower unit and they ended up doing all this. 

(4 HOURS)
- remove throttle cable- remove shift cable- remove control binnacle- pull spark plugs and check- check where trim/tilt leak is coming from* the cap is broken.- remove lower unit- check water pump

(7 HOURS)

- drain lower gear oil* found contamination in oil- check shaft seals for damage- pull all oil seals on shaft- inspect oil seals on drive shaft.* found broken shim and a bad thrust bearing under the waterpump housing- drill and tap broken housing bolt- remove old top oil seal- flush lower of all water and metal debris- install new thrust bearing- install new volcano drive shaft seal- assemble water pump- install prop shaft seals- grease bearing in housing- fill with fluid and pressure test- install prop- install lower unit- run control cables- connect 14ft shift and throttle cables- snake 15 ft and 20 ft speaker wire- install new binnacle- run engine- check gears

Then, I purchased a new Terrova I-Pilot to make myself feel better :D  Can't stop putting money into a boat that I plan on keeping until the hull disintegrates.
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, FLSnookhunter said:

Took my "new to me" 1997 Master Angler in for new throttle cables and asked them to check the lower unit and they ended up doing all this. 

(4 HOURS)
- remove throttle cable- remove shift cable- remove control binnacle- pull spark plugs and check- check where trim/tilt leak is coming from* the cap is broken.- remove lower unit- check water pump

(7 HOURS)

- drain lower gear oil* found contamination in oil- check shaft seals for damage- pull all oil seals on shaft- inspect oil seals on drive shaft.* found broken shim and a bad thrust bearing under the waterpump housing- drill and tap broken housing bolt- remove old top oil seal- flush lower of all water and metal debris- install new thrust bearing- install new volcano drive shaft seal- assemble water pump- install prop shaft seals- grease bearing in housing- fill with fluid and pressure test- install prop- install lower unit- run control cables- connect 14ft shift and throttle cables- snake 15 ft and 20 ft speaker wire- install new binnacle- run engine- check gears

Then, I purchased a new Terrova I-Pilot to make myself feel better :D  Can't stop putting money into a boat that I plan on keeping until the hull disintegrates.

I plan on keeping mine for the same amount of time....unless I get a giant bonus some day...

But, at the price of a new skiff - HPX-V ($60K fully rigged), HC Marquessa- ($66 fully rigged), ECC ($50-60)....for me, it's easy to put in $5-10K for fix'n old stuff...I have a  1995 and waiting for my gas tank to leak....and that will break a few $$$$ but, no biggie :)

dc

Needed a place to mount the amp, and with the console only being about 1/2" think, I needed more material. Looks like the dealer installed 1/2" PVC sheet to mount the battery charger to (I'm moving that starboard tonight). I would have liked it if they made one big piece there, but I can work around it. I was just going to epoxy my piece in place, but the grab rail bolt was too close not to utilize. I'll take wake and chop with piece of mind knowing my amp is secure with both epoxy and a mechanical fastener. A trip to Ace for a 1/4-20 a 1/2" longer than what was there fit the bill perfectly. I'll wire it up tonight and lay out speaker holes.

AmpMount.jpg

18 hours ago, ChrisB said:

We use weld mount studs to mount starboard then screw the components to the starboard

http://www.weldmountsystems.com/

IMG_0043.thumb.JPG.c6fe2f364ea70c99b5d71b08d580edd6.JPG

I've seen people doing that and like it. Just above where the upper studs are is a bolt for the grab rail, I made my amp board so I could utilize the existing bolt. I also used PVC sheet, which takes adhesive better than Starboard (I'm guessing that's why you use weld mounts to affix the Starboard with). I used t-nuts on the back of the PVC sheet, so it shouldn't pull through. I wish the factory would have given these consoles more coring....or at least stick the PVC sheet in there for us.

• Like 1

On 4/7/2018 at 5:39 PM, Wanaflatsfish said:

Been working on family house project with little time to fish...but, things coming to an end....and had a few hours while some painting was curing....

Loaded up the goodies on the skiff:

Total Scan

Simrad NSS09 Evo2

Gofree Wifi...

Will take it out for a run tomorrow...let's see how everything works :)

IMG_7122.thumb.jpg.c2ca2c5611189a5d7057f6b02633d645.jpgIMG_7124.thumb.jpg.4c591fb91ff4517d01dcc6ce7d81ece1.jpgIMG_7127.thumb.jpg.46443be183782fb21bb5221be13da323.jpg

gofree wifi simple connection....great toy.

gofree.thumb.jpg.dc9fa4f9f0f95239d57b20fb1caf88f8.jpg

i'm a Simrad guy myself and run a evo2 12 inch. Looking on simrads website on the gofree module. I'm confused. Is it wifi meaning you have internet access when fishing off wood key or wifi meaning you only bluetooth your devices to see chart imagery. By the way you are super smart for ram mounting your screen. Keeping your chart at eye level is so important when running in choko. looks like your running updated version of FMT chip. 

1 hour ago, wthree3 said:

Gofree broadcasts your simrad's screen over WiFi so you can see it on a phone or tablet running the gofree ap. On Apple devices you can control your Simrad from your device.

I'm surprised this isn't built in and that it requires an extra device. Its built in to the EliteTi, which I thought was a lower level unit compared. 

Got the house projects done early this morning so went to work on the boat....

new light in livewell

new switches for said light and stealth charger

new fuel lines from tank to motor

went to clean the carbs and on the first one I pulled off there wasn’t even a gasket between the carb and throttle body, stopped right there and ordered the rebuild kit, now on hold a few days.