2003 18 redfisher, 2015 115 merc fourstroke

eshoberg

Folks, I have an SCD4 17' prop on the boat now that is about 10 years old and has been reworked once.  No major blade damage but not positive the pitch is still dead on at 17.  I switched motors about a year ago and swing this prop easily.  If i'm not careful with two people I bounce of the rev limiter at 42 mph.  I initially got the SCD for stern lift.  I've been reading way to much and have narrowed it down to an SCD4 18" or Mercury Spitfire, 4 blade 17".  Any thoughts or suggestions before I pull the trigger?

Just my opinion...  If comparing a stock SCD4 to a stock SpitFire X7... the SpitFire wins.  With more cupping and rake, the SpitFire is a 4-blade on steroids.  It looks like a 4-blade version of its big brother, the Mercury Tempest Plus.  The SpitFire X7 has it all - better grip in turns, great holeshot, faster top speed, and plenty of bow lift if you want to trim it up!
Can you tell that I like this prop?!!
Also, I should mention that I love my Yamaha Talon SS 3-blade for days when I want to reach the finish-line before others do.  :D

My new merc is 2.1 liters.  Doesn't have as much hp as the yamaha SHO 115 that one of the forum members is running on a 16 but should have as much if not more torque.  Cant decide between a 17 or 19 if I go with a spitfire.  I have a 17 scd that gives me a decent holeshot for backwater fishing and would like another prop to get my rpms down a little at cruise.  Seems like i'm always running around above 5k.  Thinks I can maintain a decent holeshot and spin a 19 on my redfisher 18?  If I could run 35 at 4500 that would be ideal.  At 4k with my 17 scd i'm running about 26 and at 5k I'm running 3400.  The hulls are about 250lbs difference in weight, other than that, I would assume results would be similar.

eshoberg,

Before you pull the trigger on a new prop let's meet up. I'll show you how fast the spitfire prop can be! haha

I have a 19 spitfire if you want to try it for fun. It may be the ticket for your rig. I can bring a couple others (props) to if you like.

I love me some prop testing!!

1 hour ago, lurem said:

eshoberg,

Before you pull the trigger on a new prop let's meet up. I'll show you how fast the spitfire prop can be! haha

I have a 19 spitfire if you want to try it for fun. It may be the ticket for your rig. I can bring a couple others (props) to if you like.

eshoberg,

Lurem helping you with your boat's prop setup is like getting a driving lesson from Jeff Gordon!  Lurem was a great help to me when I needed some expert advice.  My boat performs as good as it gets now.  My advice... take him up on his offer!

I will warn you now.  Be very carful playing with props with Lurem.  Before you know it you will have a room full of shinny props.  You have to have your everyday prop, holeshot prop, topend prop, ect.  And of course you will need one of each of those for every season plus backups.:D

58 minutes ago, mulligan said:

I will warn you now.  Be very carful playing with props with Lurem.  Before you know it you will have a room full of shinny props.  You have to have your everyday prop, holeshot prop, topend prop, ect.  And of course you will need one of each of those for every season plus backups.:D

Hahaha, so true!  :D

Uui

On June 27, 2017 at 3:46 PM, lurem said:

eshoberg,

Mr. Lurem , I think this guy has a Mercury are you going to be able to install your Yamaha hub props on his motor ?  Joe R

good thinking Joe.

I have a couple different flo torque kits for mine so maybe between the two we can make something work. it may be worth a try, nothing ventured nothing gained right? I did run some of my props on a 225 HP merc with the help of his flo torque kits and mine we made it happen. Unfortunately the diameter of mine were way to small.

eshoberg, did you get the regular gear case or the command thrust? If you have the command thrust I have a large diameter (13 3/4)18 pitch you may be able to swing.

• 1 month later...

Big thanks to Lurem.  Had a great day of fishing and prop testing.  Came to the conclusion that my scd4 17 isnt to far off, for my load, and that a little reworking on my existing prop might be my best  bet.  Saved me a shitload of $ and survived some crappy fishing weather.  In addition, forget to tell Lurem that i had 3 group 24 and 2 group 27 batteies on board till almost the end of the day😁

Archived