Bottom paint

sky

Need to research Bottom Paint. They make some that is white. It's designed for trailerable boats, so it won't loose it's effectiveness if you put the boat in the trailer, then back in the water. It has very specific application instructions. Needs to be applied in a climate controlled enclosure (air conditioned shop). They say it actually enhances the performance of the hull.  It's pricy, but if applied properly I don't think it would detract from resale value.

14 hours ago, SCFD rtrd. said:

Need to research Bottom Paint. They make some that is white. It's designed for trailerable boats, so it won't loose it's effectiveness if you put the boat in the trailer, then back in the water. It has very specific application instructions. Needs to be applied in a climate controlled enclosure (air conditioned shop). They say it actually enhances the performance of the hull.  It's pricy, but if applied properly I don't think it would detract from resale value.

I had a boat that came with this type of paint on it - forget the brand, but it was a complete non-issue performance wise.

It was an issue when I wanted to sell the boat. Some buyers just won't consider a boat with bottom paint. Period.

My 17 MA had/has bp, scared me at first but it is petite vivid and was applied with no prep work. IT has been removing itself over time with a little help, you can't even tell it was there, it soon will be back to original. That being said, no way on God's green Earth woukd I ever subject any of my boats to that unless I absolutley had to. I'd go as far as to pull the boat once a week to clean before applying bp, especially that horrible black stuff.

3 minutes ago, jason p said:

Still waiting on the "pros"...O.o

The one pro is : if you are fortunate enough to have a dock spot, of which you can walk to the dock and get in the boat and go without the hassle of a boat landing, or a marina hoist, storage hoist etc.... you are lucky.  The drawback is you will loose a few mph because of the drag with bottompaint....unless the new stuff mentioned above has less resistance. I do not have bottom paint....but my boat is sitting on a trailer at our home. I do fish with a few friends that have bottompaint because their boat is sitting in the water all the time....and let me tell you....a boat that is 100% available to fish or booze cruise is awesome. 

I do know there is upkeep with bottompaint....and it's about $25 per foot to have a boat prepared and the bottom painted. Also, every two to three years you have to touch it up from sandbar or oyster rash....but, I see the pros and cons and truly respect and understand everyone's opinion. 

the benefits I have of having my boat bottom painted far out weighs not having it. 25' from my back door. can use it whenever without any pre planning.  lose of 1mph at max rpm. would not think twice about buying a painted one if everything else checked out. jmo, yes, I am odd man out, lol.

brother sold his 02 2200v bottom painted for 28k, no BS. second person who looked at it, took it.  it was posted here.

Had bottom paint on my 1806V for 16 yrs.   No regrets.  Kept the boat behind the house, in the water from mid April through mid November.  Other than the labor of applying paint and then ever yr a touch up (or a complete light sanding and re applying paint) it has been easy and carefree.  I traded the boat in this past April and the dealer was amazed how well the boat looked. But if trailering I would not do it.

• 11 months later...

Well after considering the above and looking at dings and gouges for oyster bars applied fairing over them 3 coats of epoxy primer and 2 coats of bottom paint. Sits in slip out back door and no issues. Dis not want to do it but fiberglass was exposed and yard recommended.

Have my boat on a Safe Haven drive on dock parked behind the house and I avoid the ramps and marinas and launch when available.

I bought my first flats boat with bottom paint and it served me well. Don't need to go fast and the bottom paint absorbed the meetings with the oyster bars.

If I had some money blow and didn't care about killing a boat, I'd do it. It's convenient, but leaving a 30-60k boat in the most corrosive environment out there is a head scratcher. But if money wasn't an option, I'm not sure I wouldn't. I'd just have to ok with taking a bath on resale.

21 hours ago, Nag Juice said:

If I had some money blow and didn't care about killing a boat, I'd do it. It's convenient, but leaving a 30-60k boat in the most corrosive environment out there is a head scratcher. But if money wasn't an option, I'm not sure I wouldn't. I'd just have to ok with taking a bath on resale.

sorry, bottom painting a boat is by no means killing it. !!!!!, Most corrosive environment, multi million dollar boats live in it. if maintained accordingly it will always look like new if you want it too.  And your not going to take a bath upon resale. do not know or understand how people come up with these ideas. Mostly  small craft owners who have been misinformed.  

Interesting perspective....  Sorry, but as a broker and in the maritime industry for 18 years, I don't believe I'm misinformed. The boat market dictates what you take bath on. A million dollar yacht is expected to have bottom paint, a flats skiff is not. Salt water kills everything eventually and buyers don't want a boat that has been left out in the water. 

13 minutes ago, fin-addict said:

sorry, bottom painting a boat is by no means killing it. !!!!!, Most corrosive environment, multi million dollar boats live in it. if maintained accordingly it will always look like new if you want it too.  And your not going to take a bath upon resale. do not know or understand how people come up with these ideas. Mostly  small craft owners who have been misinformed.  

I've had one boat with bottom paint, that was too large to easily pull out onto a trailer.  It was an Aquasport 286 twin-inboard cabin/sport fisherman - parked behind the house on a canal in Key Largo.  The factory did not prep the hull properly and used cheap bottom paint, so it started coming off soon after taking delivery.  Rather than fight with the factory to do it half-*ss again, I took it to a professional who sand blasted off the factory paint and applied the good stuff correctly.  It held up very well after that, with normal maintenance.  I prefer to keep trailerable boats out of the water and away from the salt as much as possible.  When I look at "flats boat for-sale" ads and I see that the boat has bottom paint, I turn away and move on.  But, I've got to say that walking out onto the back patio in those days, with the boat sitting ready in the water, and hopping in to go fishing or sunset cruising was a taste of the Good Life!

23 hours ago, Nag Juice said:

Interesting perspective....  Sorry, but as a broker and in the maritime industry for 18 years, I don't believe I'm misinformed. The boat market dictates what you take bath on. A million dollar yacht is expected to have bottom paint, a flats skiff is not. Salt water kills everything eventually and buyers don't want a boat that has been left out in the water. 

I too was a yacht broker for ten years and around boats all my 69 years. have owned several small to large, power and sail. correct about bottom paint on some types of boats, owners choice. the rest is how it is maintained, not the salt water. never had a buyer who cared if in water or not, again more about condition. market is a small % of how much the bath is, more location, condition and how it is fitted out. gas prices also come into play. too each their own my friend. :) fin.

For small, trailer type boats, say like bay boats or flats boats,  many of my friends are just like me!  We would not even consider buying a boat that has been bottom painted. Period.  It doesn't matter what the topside condition is.  We just wouldn't go look.  Too many to choose from without even having to consider a bottom painted boat! 

Think the stigma of bottom paint is that some unscrupulous people have used it to cover up issues, rather than protect their boat. So one way to look at bottom paint is that the owner took the necessary precautions to correctly maintain the boat, the other is that they are hiding something. Like lots of things, double edged sword.

Archived