Pathfinder hull damage - What to do

General disarray

Hi everyone!

So I finally picked up the pathfinder I purchased from a friend and got a solid deal on it. There is a little hull damage on the lowest chine (photos below). I wanted to get your opinions on how serious this is and how quickly I need to get this corrected. Also If you think this is a major issue. Some details:

Each damaged area is about 6" long - there is no spider cracks, blistering, or deformation of the hull near these crack. If I push on the exposed glass right on the very edge of the chine it does flex a little and there appears to be some hairline gaps. Tapping with my hand around the area nothing is soft and there are any changes in sound. 

Also you can see where the old trailers bunks have rubbed though most of the gel coat. 

This is the first boat I've purchased so I am a bit new to this. 

IMG_4262.JPG

IMG_4264.JPG

IMG_4265.JPG

I had the hard plastic bunks on my trailer and it ate right through the gel coat where the bunks touched the hull from power loading. I took the plastic bunks off and replaced them with carpet after the repair and have not had the same problem.

21 minutes ago, gambler1 said:

I am no expert but I would have a glass guy look at it. Anything at or below waterline can lead to water intrusion.

Have you been in the boat for water test?

Also hard to believe trailer bunk did all that damage, was there no carpet?

Wow thanks for all the replies guys,

Went for a water test, no intrusion that I could see. We were on the water for 20 mins pulled the plug zero water came out. From what I can tell its almost like that chine was laid then another flat layer (leaving a gap) behind it. From what I can look see from the anchor locker I dont see any of the indents from the chine. I could be way off though. I think I will definitely have a glass guy look at it and repair  - do you think the 4th of july weekend on the water would be a big deal?

For the trailer damage - It lines right up with where the bunks are - its on a brand new trailer never got a chance to see the old trailer. I would imagine this would need to be recoated yeah?

I asked the friend I bought it from (Who I have no doubt is being honest) its been there as long as he's owned the boat. Anything I can do to, and I hate to say this, bandage it to minimize impact while I enjoy the long weekend?

9 minutes ago, lurem said:

I had the hard plastic bunks on my trailer and it ate right through the gel coat where the bunks touched the hull from power loading. I took the plastic bunks off and replaced them with carpet after the repair and have not had the same problem.

New trailer (hasn't even been registered yet) all carpet. So that is good - I guess I will need to get it recoated though. Something that can wait or something that needs to happen like ASAP?

8 minutes ago, fishmanjj said:

easy fix for a glass man........but, it looks more like oyster shell rash than trailer bunk damage. 

Well that puts me at ease. I think its a combination there of to be honest also some sand bar rubbing over the years. 

I got a pretty solid deal on the boat. 03 2200V 200 hpdi 650 hours just serviced and everything checks out solid.  Brand new dual axle aluminum trailer, T-top (new cover), recently re upholstered, 6 speaker stereo, full sea dek, 1 year old pilot, all new batteries (running and trolling) Only issues I can find are these hull items and 1 trim tab not working. paid 23 - With the hull repairs do you guys think I still made out?

3 hours ago, General disarray said:

Well that puts me at ease. I think its a combination there of to be honest also some sand bar rubbing over the years. 

I got a pretty solid deal on the boat. 03 2200V 200 hpdi 650 hours just serviced and everything checks out solid.  Brand new dual axle aluminum trailer, T-top (new cover), recently re upholstered, 6 speaker stereo, full sea dek, 1 year old pilot, all new batteries (running and trolling) Only issues I can find are these hull items and 1 trim tab not working. paid 23 - With the hull repairs do you guys think I still made out?

You got a great deal for 23.   For the gel coat repair....try this stuff, I've used it before and it's easy to work with and matched the factory color perfectly.

IMG_1529.JPG

I see you bought the boat you were asking about on the floridasportsman forum.... awesome!!!! It's a 14 year old boat, it's gonna have some bumps and bruises. Mine has the same wear. I just haven't got around to fixing it yet... no water intrusion on mine. Did you get the 4 blade yet?

Good luck with it!

Just now, craSSh said:

I see you bought the boat you were asking about on the floridasportsman forum.... awesome!!!! It's a 14 year old boat, it's gonna have some bumps and bruises. Mine has the same wear. I just haven't got around to fixing it yet... no water intrusion on mine. Did you get the 4 blade yet?

Good luck with it!

Hey my Friend! Yes I did. 

Just picked it up on Sunday so nothing yet. But the 3 blade power tech on it definitely blows out in turns and plows a little when coming up on a plane. The 4 blade is on the need/want list relatively quickly. I appreciate you catching up with me over here. I am excited to be part of the pathfinder owners family. First boat I have been the owner of so newb jitters

i had the same thing. i chopped up some mat and mixed it with resin, then applied it to the area(after sanding with coarse grit paper) in a heavy coat. sanded that down and applied a coat of gel coat. sanded and polished that. doesn't match the color exactly, but then it's on the bottom.

2 minutes ago, smooth move said:

i had the same thing. i chopped up some mat and mixed it with resin, then applied it to the area(after sanding with coarse grit paper) in a heavy coat. sanded that down and applied a coat of gel coat. sanded and polished that. doesn't match the color exactly, but then it's on the bottom.

I think I am going to gelcoat patch for now then when I get her dialed in have it glassed and bottom resprayed to fix the other areas that are getting down to glass. Boat is in killer condition other than that. 

I dissagre that it is oyster rash as the crack is above the nice clean area of the chine. Looking at the location and the wear from the old bunks it appears to possibly be due to bouncing on the trailer. If the damage is symetrical on each side then you may have a bigger problem than most here think. Do not cover it up with a patch until a good glass man has looked at it. A patch job will make it harder for the glass man to truly identify the problem.

Took another look and realized that the first picture was below the chine but still does not look like oysters. 

The lower photo looks a lot like a loading problem issue. If the trailer is not in far enough and you miss the center then you can gauge that area on an angle or metal support of the trailer.

either way let the glass guy look before patching. Sometimes a poor patch increases the cost as he must remove it before fixing it right.

25 minutes ago, smilemaker said:

Took another look and realized that the first picture was below the chine but still does not look like oysters. 

The lower photo looks a lot like a loading problem issue. If the trailer is not in far enough and you miss the center then you can gauge that area on an angle or metal support of the trailer.

either way let the glass guy look before patching. Sometimes a poor patch increases the cost as he must remove it before fixing it right.

Yes really two separate things. The chine is where it bounced off something pretty solid pics 2&3 (same area). If you look at the bottom of the pathy this is the first chine up from the keel. No damage to the opposite side - damage is one side only.

now the lower section (1st picture) is something else probably from the old trailers bunks. There aren't any spider cracks or soft spots there it just looks like the gel coat rubbed through.

Archived