Time to Re-power

Mangroovin

Well after a great 14 year run my 200 2 stroke HPDI has had all she can take.  Diagnosis is a cracked block.  Been a great dependable motor.  No complaints.

Looking at a 225 SHO.  My RF is 2003.  Anyone put one of these 200-250 on the 21?  Just curious.  Appears to be a great motor and only weighs about 25 lbs more than what I have.  My buddy noted not to forget Id be taking out the 2 gallon oil tank so the weight difference is not an issue at all.  No idea what to do now that I won't have to keep adding oil to a separate tank all the time.  lol.

If anyone has one of these motors Id just be curious how ya like it.  :D

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not on a Hewes, but I hung a 225 SHO on a Pathfinder 2200 earlier this year.  I love it.  All kinds of torque.  A dealer in Houston has one for sale now for $15700, no sales tax if you aren't in Tx.  I had mine shipped to Savannah, Ga for $172.  Can't beat that deal!  PM if you want more details.

14 hours ago, Mangroovin said:

Well after a great 14 year run my 200 2 stroke HPDI has had all she can take.  Diagnosis is a cracked block.  Been a great dependable motor.  No complaints.

Looking at a 225 SHO.  My RF is 2003.  Anyone put one of these 200-250 on the 21?  Just curious.  Appears to be a great motor and only weighs about 25 lbs more than what I have.  My buddy noted not to forget Id be taking out the 2 gallon oil tank so the weight difference is not an issue at all.  No idea what to do now that I won't have to keep adding oil to a separate tank all the time.  lol.

I know! You'll be changing oil instead of adding it!! 😬

14 hours ago, Mangroovin said:

Check with Peter Babb...I think he put a 225 or 250 sho on his MA21 - different hull, yes, but, he can give you some real world info....he did this a few years ago.

dc

The 200hp vmax hpdi on my 02 21 rf is getting worn out so I'm already looking into re powering. From a performance and weight standpoint the new SHO is the direction I'm going. Is it even possible to get re power financing with a 02 hull as collateral? 

• 4 months later...

Getting closer now.  

Anyone have a SHO on their RF 21?  Im looking at a repower with a 225.  Wondering what prop to use?  I currently have 4 blade on my 200 vmax and like the way it handles very much.  Think its a 23.  Runs the right rpms and speed.  Digs in nicely on corners and hole shot is fine.  

Appreciate any feedback as far as size/ pitch etc for the SHO.

Look forward to getting back out there.  Thanks all.

6 hours ago, Mangroovin said:

Getting closer now.  

Anyone have a SHO on their RF 21?  Im looking at a repower with a 225.  Wondering what prop to use?  I currently have 4 blade on my 200 vmax and like the way it handles very much.  Think its a 23.  Runs the right rpms and speed.  Digs in nicely on corners and hole shot is fine.  

Appreciate any feedback as far as size/ pitch etc for the SHO.

Look forward to getting back out there.  Thanks all.

Check with the Funky Monkey - Marcus and see if he has any previous information on RF's?  Just a thought.....

DC

Mine is 2003 and rated for 225.  Not sure if anything is different.  Seemed like the rating was increased by 2004/5.  Boat ran great with the 200 but since Im upgrading to 4 stroke might as well go for the max rating.  Price difference to go to 250 isn't really gonna be worth it for me as well...... but its tempting.  lol  

• 1 month later...

Ill be back in action soon!  The new SHO is getting bolted on the back this week.  If you see someone in a green 21 RF with an ear to ear smile - thats me.....  :D

Hopefully I don't leave the new lower unit on some kind of Hurricane Irma debris.  Fortunately Ive seen a lot of it from trips out with my brother.  :S

Thanks to all for the advice/input.  Ill let ya know how she runs.:D

Thanks JN.  I love my 21.  Just needed new horses after nearly 15 years of good service by my HPDI 200.  Never had a four stroke before.  Been on boats with em and they are awesome machines.  Still feel like I should buy some oil....lolol.

Should run like a scalded ape......after break in of course.......:D

Archived