New to me 17' master angler questions!

Reddog280

I just recently purchased a 1998 17' master angler. The engine is a Yamaha 130 2 stroke and is mounted as low as it will go... what hole should it be in? Is it better to just install a jack plate? Im sure I'll have more specific questions but are there any problem areas I should check out being its new to me? Overall I think it's in pretty good shape. I'm excited to be a part of this group finally thanks for your replies in advance!

I could be wrong, but I don't think the 17 were really designed to run a JP. I have a 1999 17MA, df140....honestly I've never felt like I needed one.

Is there anything to performance wise that you don't like and woukd cause you to want a jp?

I asked many of the same questions...

I found a cream puff 1995 and have since upgraded it....look under my name and the posts will be there: wanaflatsfish

I was recommended to NOT put on a JP and so far, I have not found many times when I really needed it for the type of fishing I do....I'm 90% on the Trolling motor, 10% on the pole, if ever....

The MA is very sensitive to tabs and weight / trim....if you do go JP - you'll need to also change the height of the poling platform to avoid crushing the cowling...it can be done easily - a simple cut and extend, but, still another few $$$

Run the boat for a while and decide after a year running it without the JP.

This is a great boat....enjoy it have fun...

Yesterday, my fishing partner and I ran 70 miles.....we ran at 26-30 mph and it was into a sloppy chop....ran great...we got over 4 mpg...

DC

NO JP on the 17 Master Angler. This has been discussed and advised even by MBG, NO JP on this model. I've owned mine since  2004 even Skip says no on this subject. The 130 2 stroke should have a great holeshot, mine sure does. You did good getting the 130 Yamaha 2 stroke, perfect match for this skiff.

Archived