F115 enough for a 2000V?

JWalk

Hello all - this weekend I looked at a 2000V that has a low hour F115 on it.  It's in pretty good shape and the price is definitely right for the few things that I need to do to it, but I am concerned about the power.  Is the F115 enough motor for this boat?  I don't need crazy speed, but I don't want a dog either when I have it loaded down and a few people with me.  Thoughts?  I've also got my eye on one with the F150, which I think is a much better package, but I can't swing the price right now.

"Enough motor for this boat?" is in the eyes of the beholder, so to speak.  It is the same with the 22 Path with an F150.   Will a F115 work? Absolutely, or MBC would not have put it on the transom.  Will you be happy with it, maybe, maybe not.  Only you can decide that.  I had an F150 on my Pathfinder 2200V, and was perfectly happy with it.......until I hung a 225 SHO on the transom.  So, I was happy with the 150, now I am happier with the 225.  I have never been on a Pathfinder 2000V, but I suspect the F115 would equate to an F150 on a Pathfinder 2200V, but the F150 would be peppier, able to tote heavier loads, etc, etc. There is no right or wrong answer.  It is your call, and your back pocket, but if in doubt, it is always cheaper to satisfy your wants and wishes the first time rather than later down the road. 

The more money $$ you have...........the faster you can go !!

JEM nailed this one.  I had a 200hp on my 2400v and wanted more...so, I put a F 250 on her.  Faster she went.......now people have 300's on the same boat. However, the 200 would take me anywhere I wanted to go and fish...... bottom line.........there are literally hundreds of the 1900's and 20's with 115 and 130 hp on them still running fine.......but, occasionally you see them with the 150 hp on them. Just like JEM said........ it's your choice. Either way you decide..........it's a great boat.

Does the boat have a t top?  I almost pulled the trigger on a 2000v with t top and F115.  The owner said it didn't have any troubles getting on plane and topped out at 35mph on gps.  I suspect without the top it would've been a lil faster. The boat was priced right but I think buyers, including myself, felt it was under powered because of the extra drag/weight of the t top.  He ended up taking it off the classifieds after 3 months.  Without the t top I prolly would've bought it.  I don't know how loaded down you plan on running. Good luck!

I have both a 2200V and a 2000V with a F150.  JWalk, you will find a bunch of 2000V with F115 motors because the dealers sold that boat to entree level boaters at a price point.

i suspect you will be happier with the F150.  My 2000V cruises at 32 mph at 3900 rpm and tops out in the high 40's.  My 2200V is about 2 mph slower at cruise and 5 mph slower at WOT.  But I'm running a 3 blade prop on the 2000V and a OFX4 on the 2200V.

You will have to look harder to find a 2000V with a F150 but they are worth it.

As a 2000v owner with an F150 and seeing one perform with a 115 absolutely no question get one with an F150.  The only way I see anyone being happy with one with the 115 is only one person on board no water in livewell, less than 1/2 tank of fuel and light gear load.  Its not about the speed the 150 will bring its the xtra power to push... I was shocked at the perf difference running my boat with an empty livewell vs a full one.

What's the weight differance between a 1900 and a 2000? I know the idea behind the 2000 was to carry the weight of the then new 4 strokes, but....Don't get caught napping on a 2000 w/ an F150, I can usually run with them, with a 115. And I suspect I'd hurt some feelings if it had a 115. I'd pass. 

I had my 2000 for 6 years and over 1000 hours with a 115 and was very happy with the performance.  40 mph on the GPS with ideal water conditions - that's way fast enough for me.  The 115 weighs less and as a result, I've never had the water intrusion so common to these boats.

You want to go fast on the water, try this...

Donzi-31.thumb.jpg.05f9219290ebd9d38665e7077963cc56.jpg

This is a 1990 Donzi "Sweet 16".  A 16 foot, deep V hull with this engine in her...

59494edf447e4_Engine1-2.jpg.fc3200adc6ca7bc7d82f1e8c1d7fa366.jpg

That is a Chevy, stroked 383 V-8 engine.  We didn't even know just how much horsepower she put out, around 450hp we think.  No windshield and well into the high 70 MPH's.

Donzi-32.thumb.jpg.d7619477ac9b4420369ece377e1cb201.jpg

5949502dc3efb_DonziatSpeed-3.thumb.jpg.888af3ad8948dd7616db79a7791d5dbf.jpg

It was fun but at times she would chine walk making it feel like you were riding on a skipped stone across the water.  I'll stay with the Pathfinder V2000 and a reliable, quiet, 115 hp motor.

12 hours ago, JEM said:

That sure is a purty 16' boat!  It looks like it must be close to a 24 degree dead rise. It is a real classic with a racing pedigree!

Yes, you're right about the dead rise, this is an ocean racer designed by Don Arnow himself to be his personal boat.

594a59c3d6026_DonziatSpeed-11.thumb.jpg.6a8fe85a04a42fd6f523bea521374ee7.jpg

I thought this was interesting.  The passenger seat faces  rearward.  

Donzi-3.thumb.jpg.a4f7fc32d55d8859248345d8e9a1b19b.jpg

I assumed that was so the passenger could watch the skier behind the boat.  No, turns out Don liked to pick up pretty young women off the beach in Miami and take them for a ride.  They would always have a bikini on and Don liked to watch the bikini top bounce up and down as they hit the waves -that's why the passenger seat faces rearward!  Now that is a heritage I can live with!  This yellow one was one I had looked at but did not purchase.

The answer to how many coats of Zaino??  Three.  Before...

594a5b7665ad2_Engine4.jpg.9562ecd2828c46a28511529dad486828.jpg

After...

Referb-5.thumb.jpg.3935cc18e8537b641ee122f3d79c4d31.jpg

Had a Cobia Bay 19 with an F115, overall it was pretty good performance. But typically ran a high rpm when at a normal cruising speed in the low 30's. When you looked at the fuel consumption, you are not really any better off with the 115 vs the 150, because you are running higher rpm's, needed to be around 3800 rpm just to stay on plane. I found that when I was moving from spot to spot, was always maxing out the 115, a 150 would have been a better fit, not stressing the engine all the time and having the higher speed capability if needed. 

That said, I know a guide here in NC with a 2000 using an F115 and he even has re powered the hull with the F115. The lighter weight helps him, since he fishes mostly in the marsh

Ron..........that sure is a beautiful boat !!!

1 hour ago, Ron in Atlanta said:

I assumed that was so the passenger could watch the skier behind the boat.  No, turns out Don liked to pick up pretty young women off the beach in Miami and take them for a ride.  They would always have a bikini on and Don liked to watch the bikini top bounce up and down as they hit the waves -that's why the passenger seat faces rearward!  Now that is a heritage I can live with!

I like that thinking process Don had too........

In regards to these smaller Pathfinders - I went on a MBC factory tour a few years ago when I had and really enjoyed my 1900.  I asked the them why they quit building it and was told because Yamaha quit making 2 strokes.  He said they made the 20' to handle the additional weight of the 4 strokes, but the 20' really needed a 150.  They quit making the 20' because if a buyer was gonna get a 150 they may as well get the 22 since price difference was so small.  

so not justfish's opinion, but they guys who build them - 

The 19 was made for 2 strokes 

The 20 really needed a F150

The 22 is fine with a F150

28 minutes ago, justfish said:

so not justfish's opinion, but they guys who build them - 

The 19 was made for 2 strokes 

The 20 really needed a F150

The 22 is fine with a F150

Wow, GREAT information!  Talk about "from the horse's mouth".  I always wondered why they quit the 20, I loved that boat and would have bought a new one had they continued it.

Now, had I bought a new one, it would have been with a 115.  My use of the boat is different from just about everyone else's on the Forum.  1)  I don't fish, so there is never any water in the bait well(s) nor any fishing gear on board.  2) There is rarly anyone on board besides Laurie (whom I'm guessing may weigh less than the average fishing buddy).  3) I'm a sailor, so anything faster than 6 knots seems fast to me (exception being the current America's Cup foiling catamarans which sail faster than most boats built by MBC can run at WOT).

So, bottom line, because of the above, my opinion on engine size is meaningless, yet my opinion on camera and lens selection, and boat polishing procedures, bear listening to :).

Thanks.  I'm looking now at 22s as well.  There are simply more of them out there at more reasonable prices.  It's just a matter of finding something clean.  Every 19 and 20' Pathfinder I have looked at so far has been over-priced.  Just my opinion but prices on old boats and motors (that are no where close to mint) are just silly right now.  $20- $25k for a 15 year old boat and motor?  No thanks.  Thanks again everyone for your input.

My last Pathfinder was a 2005 20' with 150F.  The dealer had all his 20' stocked with the 115F which weight is the same as the 150.  At that time there wasn't much difference in the price so I ordered it with a 150 and glad I did.  There's nothing like a little extra power when you need it.  If you can find a 22' close to the pricing of a 20' then I would get it.  It wasn't the case when I compared the pricing in 2005.  As for the pricing of Pathfinder boats.....they hold their value because they are well built and having a Yamaha motor is a plus.  No matter which one you decide on it comes down to how well the owner maintained it....and it's trailer.  Ask for service records on the motor.  Both those was a plus when I sold my 20' and upgraded.  Hope you find the right one.      

Archived