Bubba B

ALL QUIET

I was deployed and away from my home starting Friday night. Did not get back home to check for damage until Monday Night. Many of my Fan palms, Fishtail palms, cedar topiary trees and hardwood trees were blown over or mangled. Lost sections of fence and half my rain gutters. But the main house is in one piece and I did not loose power even though many sections around my neighborhood did loose power. NO damage to my Pathfinder, which was parked at the rear of my house. Trees landed all around it, but no damage incurred.

When Irma was predicted to hit South East Florida as a Cat 4 or 5 I sent my wife, daughter, and dogs to Jasper, Georgia and then Chattanooga, Tennessee. I was not going to have them face a possible Cat 5 storm in a house built in 1979. They left Thursday at 6am and finally arrived at 805am the next day (26 LONG HOURS!!!) !!! It took them 20 hours to return home and arrived this morning at 8am.

I hope everyone and their families weathered this storm without injury and/or major damage. The outcome could have been much more severe if the storm had struck as they had been initially predicting.

Stay safe everyone...

Thank you Bubba !!

Your weather site has a better information collection than any 5 sites you can surf.  It was so much better than relying on the Weather Channel and their drama. I had important family decisions to make and I was confident with the facts on your thread.  Well Done, once again !

Woodsie

• Like 2

Hurricane -thanks for the link- It's depressing looking at the pics from the keys. 

Side note- I know its early but, has anyone heard of anything started to help MBG Guides or dealers in the keys and surrounding affected areas. Couldn't imagine being a guide and having to relearn all the areas that have changed. Not to mention the months before tourists get back in to spend money.

I remember that season well, and yes, it does.  The good news is that Maria looks like she's going to head north and out to sea, at least in the current models.  We've been getting some nice surfing out of Jose, I'm plum worn out!

Looks like we are in for one heck of a nor'easter. Going up to Beaufort (NC) cottage today to do high water prep. Also planning to get the Regulator on the trailer and bring it back down south a little. Getting to old for this stuff.

11 hours ago, whichwaysup said:

Yep, watching it closely here, too.  We are enjoying the swells though.  Good surfing at least for now!

I remember many times going to Hatteras and staying 2 or 3 days in the campground at the lighthouse area....great surfing !  We'd also fish from beach...old tackle shop called "Red Drum" tackle shop was close by. 

We'd get on ferry at Cedar Island and Ocracoke....wow, that was a long time ago....long drive in an old cj5  jeep. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fishmanjj said:

I remember many times going to Hatteras and staying 2 or 3 days in the campground at the lighthouse area....great surfing !  We'd also fish from beach...old tackle shop called "Red Drum" tackle shop was close by. 

We'd get on ferry at Cedar Island and Ocracoke....wow, that was a long time ago....long drive in an old cj5  jeep. 

We use to do the same. Drive to Cedar Island Friday night, sleep in the car, to be in line for the 6 AM ferry. I was driving a 68 Rambler. Good times! We rode out a few storms in those days.

• Like 1

Oh well! Tropical Storm Nate predicted to become at least a minimal hurricane and make landfall somewhere between the Florida panhandle and Louisiana!!! :(