Bubba B

ALL QUIET

1 hour ago, RacerxV6 said:

People that don't know what it is like to have your back against a door trying to not let it blow in getting pounded by the wind and then moving to the other side of the house to do the same 20 minutes later just don't understand.

Yep.  I had been through many "close call" storms, while growing up in South Florida.  Most of them weakened or turned out to sea before reaching the mainland, so I developed a "no big deal" attitude when the news media would ramp up the hype.  I thought Andrew was just going to be more of the same, or at most we would have some gusty winds and lose power for a few days.  Reality finally hit me when the voice of Meteorologist Brian Norcross, on the radio, told us we were minutes away from the impact of a dangerous hurricane.  Soon after that we were in fear for our lives as it felt and sounded like our building would go the way of Dorothy's house in the Wizard of Oz.

Btw, a guy I knew back then had several large pet Python snakes that he left in his house when he evacuated before Andrew struck.  His house was destroyed and the snakes escaped.  Some of the animals in the Metro-Dade Zoo escaped as well during the storm.  We heard later, that the zoo keepers were able to find most of them.  However, those events altered nature's balance in the Florida Everglades forever.  Moral of the story:  Don't keep invasive species as pets.  But, if you do have them, don't leave them behind when you evacuate.

• Like 2

Listening to Brian Norcross on our battery operated radio that was a long night. When the eye hit and he said the second half should be stronger was a felling that I won't forget.   Joe R

• Like 1

For those of you that are hitting the road , have a safe trip . And give this one a wide berth . JUSTFISH kinda had a great ideal , how ever she would have go through a lot of families home to get to the Everglades . Growing up we had a cabin out there for nearly 15 years. I remember a couple years the deer getting hoof rot because of to much water and the attempted controll of it. Personally I like to see Irma act like a tornado and hop over everyone a land smacks dab dead center in the sugar cane fields . And stay there until she digs that new reservoir  over that entire area , that Now or Never glades is talking about  . Then die out quietly .  We can say it was an act of GOD  correcting a big mistake of mans ignorance  or claim Eminent Domain like they did in New Orleans steal those poor people property .This way us could correct back to the natural water flow .. SORRY  getting off subject 

• Like 1

Looks like it's going into the middle keys and heading north.

probably going to go up the middle of the state.

hauling gas over to the Jacksonville area for the next couple of days, looks like traffic is going to ***.

Finally ,made it out of Fla, to Valdosta Georgia. WE left Miami wednesday night.

Today, took us 12 hrs to drive 300+ hours.

Bumper to bumper  on all major roads (I95, TPKe, 27th, 441, 41, I75) but moving. Left break down lane open on TPKE in many areas. 

WE took a lot of inner country roads and the good news,  was that we were able to load up on gas and diesel relatively OK in the smaller gas stations away from the turnpike 

NO HOTELS AVAILABLE ANYWHERE CLOSE TO THE MAIN ROADS !! We had some reservations but were useless, cause we couldn't make it to our destinations due to traffic.

Everyone so far has been very helpful and concerned

Most hotels lifted their pet policies allowing guests with pets.last night we did just that at a Holiday Inn

Tonight we couldn't find a room and Holiday Inn told us to park anywhere in their Pkg lot with our camper, allowing us to use their bathrooms and WiFi 

The whole thing made me empathize more with refugees leaving behind their homes and sometimes loved ones, not knowing if you are going to see them again !! Acts of desperation and survival most of us never have to go through.

Again God Bless all and best of luck with the storm !!

20 hours ago, whichwaysup said:

It it just me or did the track slide East again in the 11:00?  

I don't care how many models they run whichwaysup, it is still just a guess.  No one knows when, where, how Etc...Andrew made a right turn a day before landfall and everyone was like Yeah !!!! then it did a u-turn and it was like oh crap.  Just be prepared as best as you can.  If you can evacuate do it.  if not.  hang on :o

Thanks Bubba- Not sure how long we'll have power down here in SWFL.

Didn't think this thing would swing back to the west side- we'll see. If any one down here needs help feel free to message me. The MA is in the garage.

Thinking of my friends on this site and all the things I love about South Florida and the Keys.

My prayers are with you - for your safety and the safety of your family, for protection of your property, and for this storm to fizzle out.

YJ

Oh Boy!! Please be safe, Fort Myers will take a beating.

Good luck, I will travel down to fl next week with all my rescue gear, if anyone needs some tree's cut ping me here.. 

East Coast (Port Canaveral) and feeling a lot relieved for us, and hoping for the best for our west coast friends.  Huge storm, we will all be effected, but at least this morning not expecting significant impact here.  Pulled the skiff yesterday morning..did stop attempting to catch one last Redfish on the way to the ramp.  Surprise was a tiny Snooklet..like a 7" Snook.   Man it's great to see young fish in our area (that has been devastated by algae, brown tides, low oxygen and fish kills).   

All boarded up - which does nothing but maybe stop flying debris and make the house like a dark cave..business boarded (large store front windows)... expecting major power outages all over Fl.    Leaving the shutters up its Jose still out there.

Be safe!

4 hours ago, Capt. Troy said:

:o:o

Weather alert went off at 2 AM

Been up since and am getting very concerned. I have now been caught with my pants down.

Be careful everyone.

NO kidding!! This did not work out like we thought it would three days ago. Good luck to everyone!!

I have some relatives in Naples that had flights cancelled Wed. They decided to stay because they looked to be in clear. Now they are at plan D. Can't get out now because afraid they can't get fuel up the road.  Not looking good for SWFL.  

My wife's sister from Tampa drove up here to NC yesterday, left around noon and got in about 2AM this morning. She had no real problems getting gas, just use secondary roads. Only took her 3 hours or so longer than normal.

Best of luck to those who stay, hoping with all the hype this one does not live up to predictions.

Anyone headed up this way that needs a place to stay, I have a house available free of charge.

Feeling lil better in St Augustine here, but not out of woods yet and also hoping and praying for those in projected path now. 

As I've said numerous times (too many lately) on here recently...we flooded from Matthew so am familiar with the tear out and insurance stuff. Please reach out to me if you need any advice.  

Stay safe. Everything can be replaced except your life. 

We did ok on St Simons. I have some friends with trees on their houses but that storm surge at an over 8' tide coming off a nor'easter did some damage. South end of island took it on the chin. My girls and I rode it out.....they are tougher than I thought. My boat rode it out in Brunswick and is good. Very thankful Irma was a TS by the time it was our turn