Need Advice: Fishing Wear - Sun Protection

geeviam

I need to do better at sun protection.  Found a cool hat here:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y39X39J/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=IY50EBIG8E5EL&colid=BK6U9OZ9IMZE

Looking for advice and recommendations on a gaiter, finger-less gloves, cool/dry shirt & pants.  I tried a tube gaiter and it was too snug and binding.  One that is higher in the back - maybe even to top of the head and a slightly relaxed fit would be ideal.  Thanks in advance for any help.

I like doing a regular hat so I can pull the buff/gaiter over my head.

For cool shirts, any dri fit works. Pants, Columbia makes nice ones that you can zip off for shorts. Simms sungaiter is by far my favorite. Its shaped to the head and has vents for breathing. Also covers your nose without fogging which most cant do!! Tailin toads makes gloves but simms probably does too.

Id recommend going to a Bealls near you, they have a very good selection of all brands of fishing apparel

1 minute ago, linesider 159 said:

For cool shirts, any dri fit works. Pants, Columbia makes nice ones that you can zip off for shorts. Simms sungaiter is by far my favorite. Its shaped to the head and has vents for breathing. Also covers your nose without fogging which most cant do!! Tailin toads makes gloves but simms probably does too.

Id recommend going to a Bealls near you, they have a very good selection of all brands of fishing apparel

Great info!  Thank you!

I really prefer the hooded shirts rather than a buff. I just pull the hood over a regular ball cap and I get great protection without the tighter fit of a buff. I use some very light a Simms gloves, long pants and I'm bulletproof. In addition to the sun protection for cancer, I just feel so much better after a long day on the water when I dress like this. 

I've never, ever found a hat as good as this one. It's 7-8 years old and I wear it all the time - boat, pool, construction, yard work...it won't die. I don't know if it's the material or what but I swear it's the coolest hat I've ever worn. Bonus is the brim flips up when running so you never really have to take it off all day.  

They sell them on Amazon -  cheap too - but they seem to make them with slightly smaller brim now. Not a deal breaker by any means, but this one is a keeper. I thought I lost it a few months ago and literally tore my house and boat apart looking for it. Found it a week later stuffed behind my fish finder 🙄

IMG_0423.JPG

image.jpg

Gillz for shirt and neck coverage 

https://gillz-gear.com/collections/mens-pro-striker-collection

Biggest hat with biggest brim -Lotus Hat

https://www.sundayafternoons.com/p/lotus-hat/

Buff Pro Series gloves

http://buffusa.com/shop-buff/gloves-category/gloves-family.html

Columbia nylon pants, convertible to shorts.

Better cover than sunscreen, no need reapply, doesn't stain seat cushion vinyl or the boat deck. 

5 hours ago, justfish said:

I've never, ever found a hat as good as this one. It's 7-8 years old and I wear it all the time - boat, pool, construction, yard work...it won't die. I don't know if it's the material or what but I swear it's the coolest hat I've ever worn. Bonus is the brim flips up when running so you never really have to take it off all day.  

They sell them on Amazon -  cheap too - but they seem to make them with slightly smaller brim now. Not a deal breaker by any means, but this one is a keeper. I thought I lost it a few months ago and literally tore my house and boat apart looking for it. Found it a week later stuffed behind my fish finder 🙄

IMG_0423.JPG

image.jpg

Good to see somebody else with a 7 3/4" head !!!   Most of the one small fits all hats look like a coffee cup on my head. 

Here is the brand I wear and it also is a good hat for hot weather and keeps the sun off the noggin. 

IMG_1542.JPG

Magellan, the Academy Sports brand, is very affordable and comfortable. I like their pants a lot and they can be had for around $25 or so. I've had a few scares lately and I've been covered up pretty good the last 5-6 years, but not so much in my younger days. 

Stohlquist Sun Glove

Has a "faux leather palm" that wears well. If you order, might as well get two pair.

$11.95.    Available through Amazon or directly from Campmor.

This Sun Protection Zone hat is also inexpensive, less than $20 on ebay and elswhere. Its my favorite hat so far. I pull both straps dowm under my chin. Kinda looks like a bonnet, but I can run with it like that. Brim holds up well. I think Wannaflatsfish (Dino), wears one or used to.

image.jpeg

On 6/17/2017 at 10:03 AM, linesider 159 said:

I was pleasantly surprised to find a really nice "Breathe Like a Fish" shirt at Bealls last weekend. Paid $16.99 for a shirt that retails for $45.

I admit I am addicted to quality fishing 'gear'. I am always shopping UPF shirts and shorts. I love Aftco boardshorts and Billabong. For shirts- mostly Howler Bros Pescador and Matagorda (they look good not on the boat also). I have too many hats, some sun sleeves, and tons of buffs. Heh.

Newest purchase; XTRATUFF Riptide shoes. Love them. Most comfy boat shoe ever.

I have been religious in covering up for the past several years.... Long sleeve hooded shirt, buff, gloves, spf 50 on the skin that might be showing. And I have, at 63 years old, have never had a issue with cancer, until recently.  

I hadn't been to a dermatologist in probably 10 years because I hadn't noticed any suspicious spots, marks or moles. Well, he noticed a spot on my chest that turned out t be melanoma. Lucky for me it was surgically removed and it hadn't spread. So now I have a 10 stitch battle scar and all is good. 

Moral of the story. Please cover up even though it is sometimes so hot that you would like to dress like a tourist. 

Also, I have a pair of Mangrove brand palmless sun gloves that are deteriorating. Does anyone have any idea where I can find similar gloves? I don't like the feel of full gloves.

Archived