Push pole holders question

Waterguy

Just purchased a new 18 and ordered push pole holders. It came from factory with one recessed holder up front and two plastic holders where we have to mount rigid plastic holders where we want them. I never have even used a push pole never mind mounted one but before I mount these two rigid ones I was wondering if it would be beneficial to mount additional recessed mounted holders instead. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Accon Marine makes really nice recessed pole holders...  I just learned this valuable lesson, buy your push pole first!  They have varying degrees of flex which will affect where you place your holders, buy a loop holder for the aft and a hook for the mid...  But when you (if) you do put in recessed holders make sure that you have enough clearance...  I wanted recess so I could walk the gunnel and not worry about the "stub"!  Have fun with you new adventure! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered two additional recessed holders. From what I gather is you offset the holders in the gunnel to put a slight bend in the push pole to hold it in place with the middle holder hook facing the opposite of the first and last clips. They have a simple utube video on installation however I think I'll let an expert install as a mistake would be very very bad. Thanks!

One aft, one forward, one in the center.  Yes!  Recessed.  I generally have my Pole with me, but when I don't, having them flip down allows easy (no toe kicking) walking both gunnels.  Actually, when I'm poling I flip them down so my angler has access everywhere and nothing to snap an errant fly line.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

We are about to install two Accon recessed pole holders. The same kind came installed forward. The middle one has plenty of room under the gunnel. My question is does the rf 18 have enough clearance and free of obstructions like wiring ect under the starboard aft gunnel.? The rear hatch is sealed and there is no way to really see under there. I am going to try to shine a light through the small holes used for under gunnel rod storage but I figured the guys that built the boat would have a definitive answer on this so we can proceed accordingly. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

For what it is worth... I bought an older Hewes and restored it last year. It had factory installed recessed push pole brackets. When I took out the rear bracket, there had been water damage and a fair amount of foam had rotted. I cleaned it out, put in some new foam and decked over it and put on above-deck holders made by Stiffy. These are also much better quality than the recessed. 

IMG_4564.JPG

On December 28, 2017 at 4:45 PM, lotsofknots said:

Waterguy:   Would also like to see photo of final install of the Accon holders.   Looking for recessed holders for my ride right now to remove the "foot busters".

The one from the factory uses the same clip butts base is raised about 1/2 inch as you can see in pics. The mid and aft ones are the ones we had installed later on and are flush. I need to remove the factory ones base and just make it flush. My son stubbed his toe on it last week and almost fell in. image.jpeg.6426cd206dee8fcb16d00b427ee707f3.jpegimage.jpeg.33cfe078542921af6178bfbd346d4db8.jpegimage.jpeg.990b615fb9c81bee4ac0a07bc563ae69.jpeg

• 4 years later...
On 1/1/2018 at 6:21 PM, Waterguy said:

The one from the factory uses the same clip butts base is raised about 1/2 inch as you can see in pics. The mid and aft ones are the ones we had installed later on and are flush. I need to remove the factory ones base and just make it flush. My son stubbed his toe on it last week and almost fell in. image.jpeg.6426cd206dee8fcb16d00b427ee707f3.jpegimage.jpeg.33cfe078542921af6178bfbd346d4db8.jpegimage.jpeg.990b615fb9c81bee4ac0a07bc563ae69.jpeg

Water guy - this looks awesome. I’m going to do the same. What did they charge you for mounting the two new recessed ones? Also did you ever remove the base from the front one? Was that easy to do? Can you send pic out you did it?

Thanks!