Borrowed time, or still life left?

whichwaysup

It's pretty simple either way...Support the trailer on jack stands; I like to get the whole trailer up which means 4, one in front of and one behind the axle on both sides (you can block it too - with wood). I also like to have the trailer hitched to my truck. This will keep the tongue from randomly popping up. After that I like to slide my floor jack under the axle and give it a bump to unload weight of the axle from the bolts. Then get with it....if you leave the boat on it, duct tape some tin foil where the sparks hit the hull...or use the opposite side of the wheel and throw sparks the other way. I'd cut and replace them, personally. The rest is pretty straight forward. Have fun! 

Got 'er done.   Thanks for the recommendation to just get the boat off the trailer - found a local marina that I could dock at for a couple of hours.  Boys and I knocked it out in less than two hours.   Nothing like cheap child labor to get a job done!   Funniest thing was when we finished, my 5 year old walked up to his momma and looked her dead in the eye, made a very dramatic sigh, and said "Man, I'm gonna be sore tomorrow."   Poor guy, lifting all those rusted bolts and putting them in a pile really wore him out!

20170620_190132.jpg

20170620_190145.jpg

20170620_191420.jpg

It was funny - I only had a few hours to get it done, so I originally envisioned having my wife get the kids settled in for bed while I knocked it out, but during dinner it hit me that this was an awesome opportunity to teach the boys how to work on your own stuff.  I knew there was nothing in this job that they could break.  Initially, I thought that getting them involved would make the job longer, but I was shocked when my two older boys went at those spring bolts like dogs on a bone.  While I was dealing with the ubolts, they got the spring bolts taken care of and all I had to do was tighten them.  They probably cut 30 minutes off the job at least!

Archived