Borrowed time, or still life left?

whichwaysup

So I noticed the other day as I pulled up to the boat ramp at 0-dark-30 and noticed that my trailer springs were making a hell of a racket.  Squeaking and creaking and, well, sounding a lot like my joints when I get out of bed in the a.m..    I took a look at the springs and this is what they look like.

On a smaller boat, I would let them go for awhile, but I REALLY don't want these failing on me.  SO, thoughts?  Time to replace or do I have more life in them than it looks?

20170603_103252.jpg

20170603_103320.jpg

20170603_103248.jpg

20170603_103312.jpg

20170603_103315.jpg

20170603_103250.jpg

Here ya go.....to give you an idea of price.

http://www.sturdybuiltonline.com/25-14-inch-Double-Eye-4-Leaf-Spring-1750-pound-capacity_p_296.html

Your u-bolts are in perfect shape, Mine are usually very ugly and always get the cut off wheel removal method! I would get a 3/4" deep socket, some spray lubricant and replace in about 30 minutes.Easy to do! Don't mess around with these, change ASAP!!

"Triple F" did a great job highlighting your issue with the broken springs, that one is really bad with the bottom leaf completely broke off and gone somewhere like spring heaven. The next leaf up is broken and pretty much useless, I would say you are at less than 50% original capacity.

From picture #3 looks like you have double eye leaf springs. Measure the distance between the "double eyes, either 20" or 25". Odds are you have 1750# springs (4 leaf). Find your local marine hardware store and purchase like items. The last time I replaced my 25", 1750# springs I moved up the the 2000# springs, it made my trailer more stable. While you are at it replace anything else that looks worn. If needed, use only 9/16" replacement bolts for the "eye" bolts, I do not favor 1/2" bolts with a nylon spacer.

If you lived in Tampa I'd tell you to go to T.A. Mahoney's and let them do it. Not sure if you have a place close by you like that does trailer repairs. This is an easy job.

Take one off and to a trailer shop and they can match it. Likely have it in shop.  Really no need to not use the local guy on these they are so cheap.  

Even tho they don't look too bad, I'd start  soaking those u bolts in PB blaster now. Sure beats cutting them off if possible. 

For just one axel, I'd consider it.  Never mess with springs again, rides better and sits lower...

the thing about springs is they never last.  They get dipped in unloaded state, when they get put on a trailer they flex and the galvanization cracks... as soon as you leave parking lot, they flex more and galvanization cracks even more.  This allows saltwater in from the first time they touch it and so starts the process pictured....

Hey all - 

about to pull the trigger on ordering the trailer spring kits.  Any reason I wouldn't go with a 1750# spring on each side?  I can't recall the weight of an 18.5 MA, but 3500 lbs sounds right.  

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/assets/products/otb/bulletins/bulletin_4stroke_hpv6_pro_mav-18masterangler-f150tlr.pdf

EDIT:  looks like dry weight is 1524 lbs and the engine is ~500 pounds.  That's 2K lbs, add fuel, everything else and I'm still way under.  Anyone push me towards a heavier duty spring?

Hey folks - 

Any brilliant ideas to remove the spring eye bolts without cutting them off?  They are (of course) right up next to the hanger and the boat is on the trailer.  REALLY don't want to use a ziz wheel this close to the hull and have burning hot metal pieces hitting it and/or me.   Will do it if I have to.   

Thinking of using a heat gun and some PB blaster, but really not sure I want to ignite the boat either.  Have an impact driver as well.  Haven't started this yet, but initial inspection would suggest I have loads of fun ahead of me.  Good news is that the Ubolts on the springs are in great shape, just the leaf spring bolts that will be making my life miserable.

Thoughts?

Soak them good overnight with pb blaster.   Then try them with an air wrench.

If you have to cut, maybe duct tape a rag to the hull to protect it, and wear eye protection of course.

When you get old and lazy like me, you just take it to the nearest shop, any old auto repair shop will do, and pay them to swap out the springs.  It shouldn't be more than an hour of labor.

13 minutes ago, whichwaysup said:

Thanks JEM.   You are right, it would be easier to take it somewhere, but it's a function of pride.  And you know the old saying - pride goeth before the trailer falls on your head.

That just means you aren't an old codger like me!   Reminds me of the time I had my 24 Albemarle jacked up, on the lawn no less.  I was real bright in those days.  I was changing out springs, if I remember right, and had the whole undercarriage off.  Anyway, I had a collection of stuff for the trailer to sit on.  Like I said, I was real bright.  Anyway, about 10 seconds after I slid out from under the trailer, the whole things fell to the ground.  If I remember correctly, I started shaking pretty good, like I had cheated death by 10 seconds.  Did I say I was pretty smart way back in those days.   Anywho, I had to hire a crane to come lift the whole thing off the ground.    One of my 9 lives used up on that fiasco.

1 hour ago, JEM said:

That just means you aren't an old codger like me!   Reminds me of the time I had my 24 Albemarle jacked up, on the lawn no less.  I was real bright in those days.  I was changing out springs, if I remember right, and had the whole undercarriage off.  Anyway, I had a collection of stuff for the trailer to sit on.  Like I said, I was real bright.  Anyway, about 10 seconds after I slid out from under the trailer, the whole things fell to the ground.  If I remember correctly, I started shaking pretty good, like I had cheated death by 10 seconds.  Did I say I was pretty smart way back in those days.   Anywho, I had to hire a crane to come lift the whole thing off the ground.    One of my 9 lives used up on that fiasco.

JEM, ....sounds like it was too late to put on your brown pants.............

WHICHWAYSUP: if I give any advice, it would be to take the boat off the trailer before you start any repair to the leaf springs, axle, etc. 

11 minutes ago, fishmanjj said:

JEM, ....sounds like it was too late to put on your brown pants.............

WHICHWAYSUP: if I give any advice, it would be to take the boat off the trailer before you start any repair to the leaf springs, axle, etc. 

I hear you.  Looks like I'm getting defeated by these spring bolts.  Gonna need to grind 'em off.  I just don't have anywhere to put the boat while I'm working on the trailer.  Any thoughts?

7 minutes ago, whichwaysup said:

I hear you.  Looks like I'm getting defeated by these spring bolts.  Gonna need to grind 'em off.  I just don't have anywhere to put the boat while I'm working on the trailer.  Any thoughts?

A friend with a dock ??,  or a local marina will normally let you do an overnight with no water or electricity for about $ 20 per night. Sometimes, they will even lift the boat out and sit on a stand for an overnight if you explain the situation.  

Archived