Today Friday fish report Ruskin area

dabear

Hurricane no reds last week we got a couple small reds but today we did not ever see a red. Grand daughter got a flounder and small snapper but mostly snook. Water is super dirty from all the rain . Reds should show up soon. Joe R

On 6/9/2017 at 4:39 PM, dabear said:

Dirty water pretty good tide and lots of small snook everywhere from Apollo beach area to Bahia beach Simmons park area. First day all week it didn't rain in this area . Joe R

Been tough. Rain, wind and tons of grass up my way. We went from being on fire around here to flooding rains. Has been a very special spring to say the least. The fish around me are on the beach. No can fish them with this weather.

Had the day off yesterday and went to the Little Manatee river by myself. Fishing is good for the Soul. The water was still dirty without the floating grass.  there was no tide movement all day which made things tougher. I fished, listened to some music and ended up with snapper and some small snook similar to Dabear.

• 3 weeks later...

Fished near Simmons Park. Lots of bait schools on flats, however they are small Thread Fins. Caught some small Snook and one Red about 23". All on artificial, I did chum a bit with the small baits I netted, but the were really to small to put on a hook. 

• 2 weeks later...

07/15 report

Went out early and caught bait in cockroach with BDSnook on my boat. We blacked out the livewell in just a few casts of the net. We had a problem first thing as all the bait died on the way to the fishing hole. We were not sure what happened unless the water was to warm and no oxygen. So we went and caught more bait and headed back to the fishing hole. It was a little later than we wanted to be there but we still caught some fish. This was the first of many obstacles through out the day. We fished the south shore from Joe island up the e.g. Simmons park catching snook and trout. We saw reds pushing on the flats and sight casted to them but no dice. The water was both clear and murky depending in where we were and most of the fish were caught in the clear water areas.

My trolling motor shorted out on the water so we had to go old school and set up our drifts with the wind and water current. I slipped on the algae at the ramp and busted my butt. Got a few scraps and bruises from that fall. We still had a great time on the water and got to catch a few fish.

I fished the south shore today, in the Simmons park area. Got a couple nice reds, big one was 28.  Saw plenty of snook bustin along the bushes. Hard to fish those snook without live bait, the water is shallow, clear and they ain't dumb. 

It was so dang hot, and there was zero wind. I was sweating just standing there!

2017-07-16 12.56.07.jpg

IMG_20170716_072719.jpg

Little tip for the floating grass/scum on surface, fish shorelines that are upwind of wherever it has recently been blowing. It will blow the grass away from that shore. Found some good water yesterday and picked up some fish. Also ran into a pod of spotted eagle rays which was cool

Edit: Also, watch out for those thunderstorms even at night. I'm generally very good at dodging storms, but tonight around 10pm I was in upper bay and we had a lightning storm pop up on top of us. 

It was my dad and I and we were running wide open across the bay to get away from it with one strike much much to close for comfort. Probably my worst experience as far as lightning and boating goes since I was stuck in the middle of the bay. 

I was caught off guard in a situation just like Linesider about 20 years ago, and it still haunts me.  My wife and 6-year old son went with me on the Action Craft 18 for an evening of bully netting lobster on the flats at Caesars Creek.  It was a beautiful, calm night on Biscayne Bay when we launched at the ramp near the Turkey Point nuke plant.  We scooted across the bay and started catching lobster as soon as we reached the flats.  It wasn't long after that when a solid line of strong thunderstorms developed very quickly over the mainland and were moving East across the bay toward us, with no route for us to take to outrun them, except out to sea.  Out to sea in a flats skiff??  Not an option!  My prayers must have been heard, because a path opened up in the storm just enough to see the stacks at Turkey Point, so I made a run for it at WOT.  My wife and son were bundled up in rain gear and under a blanket.  There was constant lightning strikes all around us.  The short stainless VHF whip antenna on my console had a continuous blue spark flaming on the tip of it from the static electricity during the ride through the storm.  I'll never forget it.  The path to Turkey Point opening up like that and getting back to the boat ramp safely was a miracle in my book.  It could have easily been much worse.

Geeviam......I had the same kinda deal with my 6 year old granddaughter in the boat....Fla Thunder Storms are scary stuff at times!:(

Gabe.....Lurem and I couldn't buy a redfish the day we went........they have been tough for me this year...slaying the snook though...:/

To add to report above, the water quality in upper bay was spotty. Some spots loaded with orange algae, and some crystal clear. No rhyme or reason. The orange algae seemed to be the areas where there were no fish. Grass is getting thicker by the day on the bottom, surface grass depends on wind direction. 

I didn't personally look for reds but a friend went around upper bay Saturday and said reds were pretty scattered. Its been tougher lately for them up north. Ive been targeting tarpon lately anyway so haven't messed with the reds. Been catching the juvenile tarpon using artificial and a steady retrieve near the surface, no twitches (this is key), or off the beach using a pinfish on a cork for the bigger ones. Last 2 trips they were very thick on the beach 

That looks like fun. Home after 5 weeks in the Keys. Yet to fish inshore but at least the ARS are still open for RECs. Ran out off Tarpon and got a limit Friday for 5. It was almost too easy. Still trying to get an answer if I can use my permitted charter boat to fun fish the rec season. The initial response was so clear we took my buddies boat.>:(

The gags did not want to cooperate. Water and air were hotter than heck.

Archived