Maverick 18' with 115SHO, what speed are you seeing?

Slug-O

On June 9, 2017 at 10:47 AM, Slug-O said:

Have an 18' HPX with an 115SHO. Prop is an PT 18P 3 blade. Top speed is 43MPH loaded with 3 people. RPM is 6300. Does this sound right?

We sometime focus all of our attention on pitch and blade number and don't do home work on the style of prop . Some prop models have way more rake and cup than others . Which model 3 blade PT prop are you running ? I have run several props on my HPX 18 with a 115 SHO  I ran a used Pro Series Yamaha K-21 @ 6100 RPM - 6300 RPM @ 51.5 - 52.8 MPH . The boat has to be trimmed out and riding on the narrow pad bottom to see these speeds and RPM . When this hull isn't on the pad bottom your RPM and speed drops way down  . I buy and run three PT  3 blade model  PTR props a -PTR - 19 - PTR -20  - and a PTR  -21. . With the 19-20 and 21 PTR blades  I ran from 49.5 to 52.3 MPH from 6300 - 6100 RPM .    I can.not run these speeds sitting on the pad in rough water but in a very small chop I can air this HPX out and run way better than mid 40's. Add more weight lose more top end . Half tank gas two people  50 MPH with 20 PTR is very possible. Go to 21 and pick up a hair more top end and lose a hair hole shot.  I have only had this combo a short time after motor is broke in I will fine tune a prop to have a great hole shot with top end. Hope this info helps  The SHO power band is very peaky great low end hole shot pulls hard until mid 4000 than doesn't pull real hard kind of noses down until 5600 than pulls ok from 5600'-6300 . Hope this info helps you prop your HPX . Joe R

1 minute ago, Slug-O said:

Thanks for your input sir. Went out again today with full load and 2 pax and WOT at 6100 I turned about 42.5mph. I'll try and post a photo of the prop my using.

Wow that's a PTR 18  I would of bet money that a 18 PTR  would be all over your rev limiter .  Are your trim tabs up all the way and hull is out of the water and riding on the pad. If so I'm not sure what's wrong . Where do you live ?  Joe R

IMG_0117.JPG

On June 20, 2017 at 2:48 PM, Slug-O said:

I'm here in NE FL. Tabs are up and trimmed up till I loose bite.  I'm sure I could contact my dealer at Atlantic Coast Marine and get another PT prop to test.

I think something is definately not right. I'm no where near a prop expert but there's no way my set up (F115 with 800 hrs / PTR418, and a significantly scratched up hull bottom) should be faster than your boat with a 3 blade. 

On 6/12/2017 at 3:39 PM, Slug-O said:

I'm running an PTR3R18 2 people today full load got to 6100RPMs before loosing bite at 43MPH

I've got a different hull (16 Redfisher) with the same motor.  Your boat is lighter and should be faster than mine, when running up on the pad.  With an 18-pitch 3-blade prop, I was getting 48-49 mph @ 6300-6400 RPM.  You say you are losing bite.  Is your motor mounted too high on the transom?  Which bolt hole in the motor mount are you using on the transom?  Are you using a jack plate?  Jack plates have about 1.5" of lift built-in, which can sometimes cause a loss of grip.

No plate. Motor is sitting as low as it can be mounted. I'm beginning to wonder If with this ptr3-18 I'm loosing bite before I reach maximum trim on the back pad? Last night by myself and no wind I hit 45mph at 6200RPMS.  I had zero tabs and I was trimmed out till I started loosing bite.

3 hours ago, Slug-O said:

No plate. Motor is sitting as low as it can be mounted. I'm beginning to wonder If with this ptr3-18 I'm loosing bite before I reach maximum trim on the back pad? Last night by myself and no wind I hit 45mph at 6200RPMS.  I had zero tabs and I was trimmed out till I started loosing bite.

Sounds like maybe you should work on improving the bite - maybe try a different prop.

• 2 months later...

Archived