Mirage 18HPX-V question

brokenskeg

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, wheres the fish said:

I put a jack plate on my 18 HPX with a 115 and loss top end speed. Its jumps out of the hole better but over all im not happy with it. I think the boat runs better with out one.

How much top end speed did you lose? Did you take the Jackplate back off or are you still running with it? I have an 18HPX with a 115 and an Atlast Micro-Jacker Jackplate. Bought the boat with it so haven't run without it. I have always struggled to hit the speeds that everyone else is hitting.

I do agree that the Jackplate does not really serve a purpose on this boat.

15 hours ago, brokenskeg said:

Thank you, Jscann and dabear.  Dabear, didn't I see here somewhere that you have an 18 hpx-v which had a 150 on it, but you went to a 115?

Yes brokenskeg I did have a F150 on my HPX for years . After the F150 developed a problem I traded the F 150 in at Family Boating Center and got a 115VF /SHO from them . 

Just now, wheres the fish said:

I was running a 4 blade Mercury Spitfire prop. And was getting 49-50 mph with a half tank of gas. Put the Atlas jack plate (4") and speed drop to 42-43 mph. I was telling my wife today I might take it off and sell it taking that money and put one of them new 8 foot power poles on the back.

Very very interesting. I run the 21Pitch Spitfire prop also. 6-7 MPH is a huge difference. I am going to pull mine off after hearing that.

When I ordered my 18HPX back in 2011 I was told by someone at MBC that a jackplate would not increase performance.

Jason's correct about the PP disease! It happens all too often. After having my single 8' Blade for a few years I can tell you that I don't need a 2nd PP 90% of the time once I learned how to align my boat with wind, tide, current, etc.

21 hours ago, wheres the fish said:

I was running a 4 blade Mercury Spitfire prop. And was getting 49-50 mph with a half tank of gas. Put the Atlas jack plate (4") and speed drop to 42-43 mph. I was telling my wife today I might take it off and sell it taking that money and put one of them new 8 foot power poles on the back.

Is your jack plate the Altlas Micro-Jacker 4" or the big Atlas 4" (which is actually a 5" setback)?

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 8:38 AM, wheres the fish said:

Jason I have a pro power pole 6 foot on the back now. But the new Blades sure are nice, I will be putting a 8 foot one on next  week blue in color. The jack plate is the standard 4".

When you get the second one you should get it in red, very patriotic on the back of a white boat!

Archived