95 MA Repower

In the process of repowering my boat a 95 MA 18 and I'm trying to decide between a 115 vmax sho and a f150. I like the 150 for the power but it is much heavier and I'm not sure how this will affect the draft, ride, etc. The old 130 pushed the boat just fine and I would think the 115 vmax would be similar. Does anyone have any opinions or experiences with this combo?

Personally I would prefer the 150. Is the boat still running now, you could just add 100 pounds of weight to the back as a test. Too bad they can't get 130hp outta the 115. I've always thought 115 to 150 was a big gap in power. 

Could look at an etec, they make a 135, just a thought!

1   5   0

Mines a 96 w dual rod lockers so bit heavier but I can't imagine it getting on plane with a 115. She will jump out of the hole with a 150.  You could figure out the weight diff and drop a sandbag back there thats close in weight if you think its going to increase the draft. I would say no change in draft except maybe on the push pole. They ride heavy anyway so Id say its negligible though. You will be greatly disappointed in that 115 on our boats.

Might get more responses in another thread. You have this one under product info.

• 2 months later...

Big questions are;

1) What top speed do you want, and how important is that to you?

2) How many people do you have in the boat, typically, and what (general) size are they (big adults, kids, etc).

My 87 ran great with an 88 115, but top speed was 44mph.  I was fine with that, because I ran the boat with 2 average sized guys or a just a child or two.  That boat was a little lighter than the later models, not sure where yours falls.

I do agree that a 150 would probably be a better choice.   You have enough hull there to support the weight, it isn't going to squat, and that extra umph is gonna make a big difference.  Moving batteries around can go a long way towards balancing the boat out.   With a 150, you should be well over 50 mph - mine runs 54 and change with a 3 blade.

Archived