High-Vis vs. Low-Vis Braid

FunFlatsFishing

What Miss Jazzy said.  When Power Pro first came out with their low-vis Moss Green braid I thought that was the way to go in order to not spook fish and be more stealth but then I realized it's more important to be able to see your line, e.g. to see if there's slack in it, or if the line is tight, tangled, etc.  All my spin reels have high-vis yellow.

I've been using braid since Cortland was the only company making it and I've used all the colors but can't tell any difference in catching more or less fish. I prefer the red or green Power Pro 15lb (4lb diameter) for almost all my red, snook & trout rods; 20-25lb Power Pro for my grouper & tarpon rods. Pink Yo-Zuri fluorocarbon and uni-knot line to line connection for the win!

Interesting on the pink fluoro. I use Seaguar blue but always wondered about that yo ziti pink. I've tried all colors of braid also- usually go back to lime green. At one point I was spooling to match the reel for looks as it didn't matter to me what color the line was.. now I go hi vis so I can see it. Lol

I also use yellow hi vis 8 slick PP 10 lb line so I can watch my line, I use 20 lb floro leader with a uni to uni knot . This is my go to set up for red fish and snook most of the time in Tampa bay . When we go to flamingo and fish mangroves with lots of current I do    use a heavier line and leader . We bring a few set ups with 15 lb. line and 30 lb floro leader . If my 62 year old eyes could see a non hi vis line better I would give it a try and see what the fish think . Joe R

I use Fins "Windtamer" 12 lb on spinners and Fins "XS Braid" 15 lb on bait casters.  No color preference, currently I'm using the pink Windtamer and dark green Fins.  These are just for trout / redfish / flounder fishing....artificial baits..DOA, Slayer lures, Zara Spooks, Mirror Lures, etc.

For Tarpon and Tripletail...I pull out the bigger guns. 

I found I go longer on leader. Usually almost 3ft as I change lures pretty often. On my live bait days I do the 2ft and rarely change hooks. I'm going to try the YoZuri Pink now. I'm usually rolling with 20-30lb fluoro but have gone up to 40 for tarpon and structure. My braid is always 10 or 15lb depending on the reel (10lb for 3000 and 15 for 4000 series.)

one quick question- do you guys spool yourself (buy the braid in the roll or in bulk?) or let shop spool it? I've always had my shops spool it but they almost always over spool and I need to strip when I get home otherwise I get wind knots.

I go with a longer leader as well. 20-30 pound Seaguar Premier or Blue Label fluorocarbon leader at about 3 feet. That way when a snook chafes the area near the hook, I don't have to tie a whole new leader. Instead of a popping cork I just place a foam bobber that I can remove or add without cutting the line or tying additional knots.

20 lbs Suffix 832 in Lime green

Yet, most tie very expensive leaders to their braid at various lengths.:$

Take a look at what most do when trolling an so on. Leader lengths for trolling for marlin and Tuna, the main line is out of the water. Only the high end stuff is in the water "the leader" Flouro

Get a ton of yellow tails behind your boat and put anything high vis to you in the water and see what happens. They will haul tail because they can see it.

Why do your think Kite fishing/green stick fishing Is so effective for fish with big eyes. It is because the line is out of the water and unseen. Conditions and specie will dictate what you can get away with. If it didn't I would fish 30 lb mono on the flats and never get broken off or have to re-tie or mess with a leader.

I have payed with and used it all. Put on a dive mask and swim around your lines next time you go to the sand bar. Some of this new braid looks like pieces of rope in 3 feet of water. Some of it is also noisy but it would take too long to explain my theory on that.

Best to use what you have the most confidence in. If it works for you, use it with confidence. Kinda like your favorite lure. The more you use the more you catch on it until I show up with a bunch of live bait:D.

56 minutes ago, FunFlatsFishing said:

I go with a longer leader as well. 20-30 pound Seaguar Premier or Blue Label fluorocarbon leader at about 3 feet. That way when a snook chafes the area near the hook, I don't have to tie a whole new leader. Instead of a popping cork I just place a foam bobber that I can remove or add without cutting the line or tying additional knots.

20 lbs Suffix 832 in Lime green

same type of bobber with cup end. just slip out center rod on/off

This may be a silly question but here goes...For those that fish with the longer leaders do you use a uni-knot? when reeling up to cast do you run the knot through the eyes of your rod? Does that effect your casting and such with the clunking noise or effect your accuracy?

1 hour ago, fin-addict said:

capt. t,  that is why I asked the question, been thinking of going 3'+ on leader. feel any braid will be seen on the flats or mangroves, but I fish with several fellas who only use mono and I normally out fish them and  I'm on the back of the boat. ^_^

All about the angler and presentation. I use 3 feet of leader and trim when needed to my braid. If the fish are in a school high vis line of any braid will spook them in my area.

Braid of any type will out cast mono, zero stretch with zero memory. Gives better control and feel to boot.

Think about this. Most braid is equvalent to 1/4 diameter of most mono. It is always less intrusive and less visible just by design.

Do the line test at home. If my old azz burned eyes can see it without my readers on I'm fairly sure a 6 year old snook can see it better.

I can see the white in visa braid from my couch when I"m rigging rods in the kitchen. I trashed all of it.

I fish with moss green line because it looks just like every piece of grass around the area I fish. I don't need to see it cause with zero stretch you will know when you get bit.;)

I would never tell anyone what line to use. I will only tell you what works for me and I might mislead you just a little for obvious reasons.:)

Archived