Is a F150 Enough power for a 2200 Pathfinder

East Coast Dave

I have my eye on a little larger Pathfinder. I have an 1810 now and looking to go up to 22 ft so I have a little more room for the family. I my eye on one but before I make the trip over to take a look I was curious if anyone had the same boat with the same motor and what kind of speeds you guys are getting with it.  I just don't want to be underpowered.

Thanks for your help!

More 22's have come out of the factory with 150's on them than any other engine.  I am sure that holding the price down played the biggest part behind that.  You can expect a real world speed of around 44 to 46, depending on load.  That said, I just repowered mine from an F150 to a 225 SHO.  To me, it made a new boat out of it.   I now top out around 55 to 57, depending on load.

1 minute ago, bernieNC said:

YES

4 fat guys, 5 batteries,150lbs of ice, 5 cases of beer, 3 full live wells: NO

ofx 4 17 I get 45 mph, 3 blade Yamaha ? I have seen 48 mph I also prefer the 4 blade. (with a T-top, TM, PP 3 batteries)

Those are some pretty good numbers. 

I can get my OFX4 up to 5800 rpms. Just bought the OFX3 and trying to figure it out. 

14 hours ago, bernieNC said:

From what I see on this board I am getting a couple more mph than most. I had mine built/setup light for draft.

I typically have one of my 40 gallon livewells full and typically keep my fuel tank full. 

3 - 31 series AGM batteries, twin 10' blades, jack plate, two Yeti's full of ice, drinks (and fish lol) and a trolling motor all add to the weight. 

I may may be able to squeeze a little more out of it. 

With the  F150, I cruise at 30 mph.  On Apalachicola bay, only one time in ten, can I run much faster than 30 mph.

if you are going to run in a lot of flat water, a little more hp might be useful, but stay away from the heavy engines on the 2200V, because they upset the balance of the boat.

I'm running a OFX4 -16 on my 2200xl with F150..... runs 44 mph at 5900. She will run faster mph with the 19" 3 blade ..but the hole shot is not as good. I seldom get to run WOT anyway, so I'm well satisfied with the performance of this motor and the amount of fuel it burns..  Previously I had a 2400v with a F250...... yes, it would run 58 mph, but with the wind and chop we get around here.....seldom do you get to and the F250 burned twice the fuel. 

Not exactly what your asking but I have the 150 max so same hp...its plenty of motor!. I was lil worried before my sea trial and now have no regrets at all. In fact went out other day with 4 people, full of fuel, two coolers full of ice and buddy was shocked at the performance.  

The F150 is supposed to be a "strong" 150 as well as super reliable. I wouldn't hesitate unless your a speed demon.  I believe I remember some YouTube vids of guys "debunking" it being underpowered maybe search for them on there. 

By the way I don't get any water in my scuppers even with that load. It's a nice balanced boat like this. I have rabuds I bought because of the rumors, but haven't even needed to install them. I think it's the big block motors hanging way out there in jack plates that cause those problems. 

2 minutes ago, justfish said:

Not exactly what your asking but I have the 150 max so same hp...its plenty of motor!. I was lil worried before my sea trial and now have no regrets at all. In fact went out other day with 4 people, full of fuel, two coolers full of ice and buddy was shocked at the performance.  

The F150 is supposed to be a "strong" 150 as well as super reliable. I wouldn't hesitate unless your a speed demon.  I believe I remember some YouTube vids of guys "debunking" it being underpowered maybe search for them on there. 

Correct. The only issue they have is the balancer issue on some of the older models. Depending on the year engine you are looking at, check into the balancer issues. If it has the old balancer and it hasn't gone bad, its about $400 to swap out.

1 hour ago, FunFlatsFishing said:

Correct. The only issue they have is the balancer issue on some of the older models. Depending on the year engine you are looking at, check into the balancer issues. If it has the old balancer and it hasn't gone bad, its about $400 to swap out.

Mine is a 2009 F150 and it had the 2nd generation balancer on it, there is now a 3rd generation balancer available now which constantly drips oil onto the crank. I was told it should be good for 500 hours and then change it, I noticed the high pitch squeal around 150 hours and went ahead and changed it to be safe. That $ 300 was far cheaper than a power head later down the river.

No boat is really underpowered. They can propped wrong which creates the effect of the wrong engine. I had a 22 TRS with a 250 SHO. It was very fast even with a full load, head wind, etc. That was what I wanted. It was hard to go slow. under 30 mph, was tabs down, everything down and attention on the throttle. All based on the prop and high x deminson of the short shaft engine. I have been on the same boat with a 150, its the same boat just slow in the mph range. You can prop to plane almost as fast as with the 250. It depends on what you want to do with. I will say I liked having the torque of the V6 when the livewells and cooler was full. However, the boat is awesome. So whatever you decide, I doubt you will be disappointed.

I get 48-49 2005 yamaha f150 with the Yamaha 4-13 3/4 x 18 prop 5900-6000rpms without the balancer on my Florida boat.

I get 44-46 2006 yamaha f150 with the Powertech 4-ofx4917 (whatever those #'s mean)  without the balancer on my California boat.

Both boats without t-tops.  I would say these boats are not underpowered by any means, just not speed demons.

I got about 42-45 on my 2006 F150 Yamaha running a 3 blade prop. Boat is pretty heavy with T-top, 2 full coolers, more then needed fishing eqpt and about 3 hefty guys.

I have since repowered with a 2016 F175 and put on a OFX4-17, get almost the same speed 43-47 but a much better hole shot. I'm sure I can get 2-3 more MPH with a 3 blade but don't need it. (prefer the hole shot)

Basically the difference between a 150 vs 175 was not much at all.

1 hour ago, Phinz13 said:

I got about 42-45 on my 2006 F150 Yamaha running a 3 blade prop. Boat is pretty heavy with T-top, 2 full coolers, more then needed fishing eqpt and about 3 hefty guys.

I have since repowered with a 2016 F175 and put on a OFX4-17, get almost the same speed 43-47 but a much better hole shot. I'm sure I can get 2-3 more MPH with a 3 blade but don't need it. (prefer the hole shot)

Basically the difference between a 150 vs 175 was not much at all.

good info Phinz............. I'm running a OFX4-17 now ( courtesy of JEM) with the same results on my F150...was faster at WOT with 3 blade 19...but hole shot much better with 4 blade.

My 2200 came with a VZ HPDI VMax 150. Like the others say...mid to high 40s depending on load and conditions. It was stolen and recovered 4 years ago. The only thing taken off was the 10 yr old outboard. Repowered with the SHO 225. I could never go back to the 150. Night and day. Hole shot with either motor was very good. With a few people on board the 225 doesn't even hesitate to get up and go. It is much more responsive backing down and maneuvering as well. If Yamaha had a 350 V-6 I'd have hung it on the new 25. When it comes time to repower I'm sure I will go bigger than the 300.

Archived