Catfish and Catfish and Thunderstorms Oh-My !!!

Well,

Capt.  Don almost slammed the boat....errrr....one 12" red, one 12" trout and.....well it was that kind of day...

Things looked promising...low wind, overcast, and we figured the T-Bangers would not come till the late PM...

Well, nothing works like a plan...

As usual, the MA17 ran like a champ - power pole fixed, we ran from Choko -Outdoor resorts down to Chatham as a bit farther south to fish some out going spots..

Moved 7-8 times and couldn't find anything but cats...

Water temp was really high...but, we couldn't find anything in the "normal" spots...

Lots of cats, did I say lots of cats.....

then cam 1pm and it came with a vengeance - black sky from Bird Key south...out as far as the horizon, and in as far as land...

We were around Joe Kemp and made a run for it...and run we did...

Made it to the ramp right at 124pm, earliest return trip for us in years....

Well, until the next time.....

Will try and be out next week....

DonH - where are the 10-15 day redfish days of year's past ??? Ugggggh !!!

Paul, we were thinking about you...you said you might go to the Lostman and South?   Man, it musta been a nasty one if you were in it ??? :(

dc

Darn sail cats! LoL We had to try all sorts of different baits and spots the past 4 days down there. Water wasn't bad but we didn't find a lot of good flow.

We ran from storms each day but not as bad as summer time. The wind kicked up to 30 & temp dropped 15-20 degrees at the edge of a storm that approached us near Turkey Key on Friday afternoon. We ran from that one but still had to wear foul weather gear for the last 20 miles of that day's ride home. Getting thru the unmarked skinny while it was pouring around low tide definitely had me puckered up tight!!

5 hours ago, conocean said:

Darn sail cats! LoL We had to try all sorts of different baits and spots the past 4 days down there. Water wasn't bad but we didn't find a lot of good flow.

We ran from storms each day but not as bad as summer time. The wind kicked up to 30 & temp dropped 15-20 degrees at the edge of a storm that approached us near Turkey Key on Friday afternoon. We ran from that one but still had to wear foul weather gear for the last 20 miles of that day's ride home. Getting thru the unmarked skinny while it was pouring around low tide definitely had me puckered up tight!!

Glad you got home safe- Yep, it got skinny...DonH and I were loaded with rain gear when it came at us at the Chatham....we were thinking about you....I knew you were pretty far south and we couldn't see if it built before or after Lostmans.....sounds like built way south.....

Nothing better than 35mph in a skiff in pouring rain.....definately makes you feel "alive".

dc

Archived