Bow mount trolling motor install on RF18

Fisherz

Finally able to afford purchase a Trolling motor for my 2015 Redfisher 18.

Plan on a Bow mounted 80lb thrust 24v system.

Any info on the best design for this system?

What is MBG's recommended design and component location?

I already have the starting battery in the console. Where should the trolling batteries go?

will need a battery charger and circuit breaker.

Thanks for any help/info provided

Mine has starting battery in starboard stern hatch with two trolling motor batteries and charger under console seat. Batter charger plug on port side of console seat. Bow mounted with plug in anchor locker. All from factory.

Thanks for the reply

When I bought the boat the starting battery is located inside the center console. I did notice that there looks like a spot in my starboard stern rigging box.

Maybe one of the options when adding a trolling motor is to move the starting battery to the rigging box and place the 2 trolling motor batteries in the center console?

I have my starting battery in the starboard rear compartment and my trolling motor batteries in the console. It's tight for group 27s, but they will fit.  This way you will still have some room in your console for fire extinguisher and other stuff.  

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 2003 RF18 which had a starting battery in the  stern starboard rigging compartment. I added a TM and ended up putting all 3 batteries under the console front seat. Put a piece of starboard down for added support. Tight fit but it works and helps keep some more weight up front. Also mounted a three bank charger in the console/

• 9 months later...

My set up is 2 24 group batteries in consol and starting batteries in starboard rear compartment.  I had 2 27 goup in the consol at first,but getting them in and out was a rear pain.  If you aren't using the troller all day a 24 group will work just fine.  Just get good quality batteries.  My trolling motor is on a puck ,port side on the bow. perfect spot.  Wiring connection in the front hatch,

On 6/2/2017 at 9:32 AM, Fisherz said:

Finally able to afford purchase a Trolling motor for my 2015 Redfisher 18.

Plan on a Bow mounted 80lb thrust 24v system.

Any info on the best design for this system?

What is MBG's recommended design and component location?

I already have the starting battery in the console. Where should the trolling batteries go?

will need a battery charger and circuit breaker.

Thanks for any help/info provided

Should have backing plates glassed in on either side of the bow, I prefer the TM on the left. The left, because if its a hand steer TM, my right hand is holding the rod, also I prefer to feel the edge of the boat with my right foot.

I would keep all 3 in the console, and  I would assume you have wires already run there with a breaker. If not you will need to add a breaker. And yes you will want an onboard charger.

Archived