Port of the Islands?

Has anyone ever been out to fish that area?

Ganna be out there for the first time in a few weeks for 2 days, looks like there is TONS of areas to explore. Ive been looking at the maps but cant seem to find many fishing reports- seems pretty shallow in a lot of places.

That channel to get out of the resort looks like an hour long...............

2 hours ago, Phinz13 said:

Has anyone ever been out to fish that area?

Ganna be out there for the first time in a few weeks for 2 days, looks like there is TONS of areas to explore. Ive been looking at the maps but cant seem to find many fishing reports- seems pretty shallow in a lot of places.

That channel to get out of the resort looks like an hour long...............

AAAAAHHHHHH YYYYYYESSSSS....The Port of the Idle (LOL).

I've fished there many times with my buddy Capt Peter Babb....

Yes, the idle is about 30-35 minutes....min...good for rod rigging on the way out...good for a stogie on the way in....

Yes, there are many very shallow areas on the inside of the FAX bays....unless you have a guide, I'd be very careful on the low tides outside the main channels near the end of the canal...

You can head to the outside (where the fish should be) and either head North (right) or left (south) and fish the outside....normal guidelines....look for clean moving water.....fish the outside points with some ladyfish chunks (2"), and work the mangroves along the channels....

Good luck and enjoy !!!

dc

I have fished out of there many times years ago when the landing was affiliated with some condos. Bad mosquitoes !  

Very good trout and bass fishing on the many banks of shells you will see. It does get really shallow in areas. 

Awesome snook fishing around the mangroves once you get out of the five mile idle area....also you can go a few miles down and fish out of Chockolosskee. 

Thanks guys, I plan to play it safe and stay near the main channels for the first time out. Maybe get a little brave when high tide rolls around.

Hopefully I can find some bait, if not Ive got plenty of artificial that will have to do.

• 3 weeks later...

Went out there on Saturday to scope out the area.

Idle is not as long as expected - but still long (about 30 minutes each way)

Mosquitos were not as bad as expected.

Fishing was quite bad.  Got the last 2 hours of the incoming and first 3 of the outgoing tides. Ran around for quite a while- couldn't find ANY bait. Eventually gave up on chasing bait and just threw some of my trusty lures lures at some of the points & creeks.

NOTHING but a  "GARBAGE CAN SLAM" - jacks, ladyfish and catfish. + 1 small snook.

Better luck next time....................

I like fishing the canal above the dam.  You can put in at the rod and gun club "ramp"...probably.  I have used jon boats and kayaks, but have seen flats boats in there before so they had to have launched at that ramp.  Lots of bass, snook, and tarpon in the canal.  I have caught a couple peacock bass in there too.  The snook and tarpon seem to eat about any artificial.  I don't think they have seen too many fishermen in their lives, especially the farther you get into picayune/fakahatchee strand preserve.  The fishing should be pretty good right now because the rain finally started falling and there should be some moving water in the canal.  Fish where one canal with moving water meets a canal with stagnant water and you might be surprised how big some of the fish are in there.  

Archived