21 Redfisher hull hook?

J.N

I was inspecting my hull bottom recently on my new to me 02 21 RF and noticed the lifting strake on the starboard side has a slight hook by the trim tab. It's also where the trailer bunk stops supporting the hull so now I'm really worried. What's odd is the hook isn't noticeable on the flat hull sections right next to the strake?  The port side looks good so I'm crossing my fingers this is by design. 

if looking correctly, seems like a strange location for a hook. too far fwd. from picture, looks like bunk runs past the hook. I still would extend the bunks as I first stated but do not think it is going to correct the hook. as seen, the curve of the hook is not going to bear any wt. to straighten it out. hope this makes some sense to you. maybe different photos may explain better, hope you figure it out. try calling MBC if you haven't already.

love to see a side view from both sides of bunk at that distance of last picture and where you see the hook.  

I removed the big transducer on the strake to allow for a 2nd set of heavy duty bunks to fully support the transom. I inspected the stringers in the bow, bilge and everything looks good. I'm assuming a small amount of hull hook up by the trim tab area probably isn't going to make a big difference in top speed? I'm a big guy @ 290 lbs and the boat has 5 gp27 batteries. With my wife and I along with fishing gear it will run 50 mph with the old tired 2.6 yamaha 200hp vmax hpdi @5700. I think the YM200PTC3 21p power tech prop on the motor is best suited for heavy loads?  I run it easy for now until I decide on a motor upgrade. 

I just looked at mine.  I have a slight wave on the strake but nothing on the flat part.  I notice awhile ago that the strakes towards the bow where they come in and go up also has a slight wave to them. I always attributed it to the way it got popped from the mold since everything around it is flat and smooth.

• 3 years later...
  • 3 months later...

This boat was damaged when it hit a submerged floating piling... however, upon inspection of the damaged area it revealed a void between the exterior gelcoat/chop strand layer and the structural woven glass layer. The layers of glass were not bonded together and there were voids from 1/8 to almost 1/2 inch in places. This is on the port side of the hull, starts about 8 inches in from the keel and runs all the way through the strake.

I'm not saying it's the case... but if there's voids in the glass layers on these other boats it could cause them to hook over time where the exterior layer conforms to the void. Just a thought. Here's a pic of the void on my 2003 model. I'd get under there with a solid object and tap around the area and see if it sounds hollow compared to the other parts of the hull. Mine was hollow on that side, but solid on the opposite side. Just a thought.

IMG_20210729_081627159_Original.thumb.jpg.f8540cc857e25adfac3e9a280a95b915.jpg

Josh B.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

0?ui=2&ik=b561046cac&attid=0.5&permmsgid0?ui=2&ik=b561046cac&attid=0.3&permmsgid0?ui=2&ik=b561046cac&attid=0.1&permmsgid

LOOKS CAN BE DECEIVING!                       I finally got the boat of my dreams!.  Soon after I bought it I noticed the boat just wasn't riding right.  It just wouldn't pick up the bow of the boat like it was supposed to.  I tried everything and anything any boat professional suggested.  I was told I needed a different prop, so I tried prop after prop and none of them seem to help.  I finally took it to a man that works on boats and he got underneath the boat and started knocking around on the bottom and says there is your problem.  "You hear that"  the boat sounded hollow in several places.  He said you have a broken stringer.  So he said he could fix my boat and I told him "ok, let's fix it." 

So he called me after he got the cap off and said, buddy I got some bad news, you need to come here and look at what I discovered.  I was shocked and disappointed to see how poorly my boat was made. The tech guy said I always thought that these Hewes boats were top of the line boats but after seeing this I would never own one. He said he had never seen a boat of any make built this poorly. He said it looked like a quick Friday afternoon job and don't know how it got thru the production line at the Maverick Hewes company.  Both stringers completely unglued and busted.  The fiberglass that was laid on the stringers was paper thin.  He said he had not ever see such bad quality work ever on any make boat.   

I called Maverick and talked with a guy named Trip, who told me he was just under the president of the company.  He told me that my boat only had a five year warranty on it but if the quality of work was not to the specs of how 2003 Hewes were built at that time he would see what they could do about it.  If it was, then I was just out of luck, that it was a 17 year old boat.  That shouldn't matter how old the boat is it should never have come unglued or busted both stringers like that.  The boat had been babied the whole life of the boat.  So are all 2003 Hewes Flats boats built like this? Things you can't see, paying top dollar for the Hewes name expecting a top of the line boat.  Disaster waiting to happen for all Hewes boat owners?  He said he would have a rep come look at my boat and if the quality of work was not as it was supposed to be he would see what he could do.  Today I talked to him and he was not telling the same story and was not talking very professional. He said someone would be here tomorrow the 12th of October, but now said it would be next week.  My boat has been tore apart a month now.   I asked to speak to his boss and he said figure it out he was not going to tell me who that was. The decision was his to decide what if anything could be done. Look at the pictures of how this boat was made. The estimate is over $30,000 to fix the boat back like it should be properly built.

0?ui=2&ik=b561046cac&attid=0.3&permmsgid0?ui=2&ik=b561046cac&attid=0.1&permmsgid0?ui=2&ik=b561046cac&attid=0.9&permmsgid0?ui=2&ik=b561046cac&attid=0.3&permmsgid0?ui=2&ik=b561046cac&attid=0.5&permmsgid0?ui=2&ik=b561046cac&attid=0.1&permmsgid0?ui=2&ik=b561046cac&attid=0.7&permmsgid0?ui=2&ik=b561046cac&attid=0.9&permmsgid0?ui=2&ik=b561046cac&attid=0.1&permmsgid0?ui=2&ik=b561046cac&attid=0.3&permmsgid0?ui=2&ik=b561046cac&attid=0.5&permmsgid0?ui=2&ik=b561046cac&attid=0.7&permmsgid0?ui=2&ik=b561046cac&attid=0.9&permmsgid0?ui=2&ik=b561046cac&attid=0.1&permmsgid0?ui=2&ik=b561046cac&attid=0.7&permmsgid0?ui=2&ik=b561046cac&attid=0.1&permmsgid0?ui=2&ik=b561046cac&attid=0.3&permmsgid0?ui=2&ik=b561046cac&attid=0.5&permmsgid0?ui=2&ik=b561046cac&attid=0.7&permmsgid0?ui=2&ik=b561046cac&attid=0.9&permmsgid

@Ryan Dolph  Skip's a good dude, a busy dude... but give him a chance to assess the situation. Did you send him the pictures?

If you can, try uploading the pictures again... we would like to see them. No excuse for poor construction. Everyone should expect wear & tear... some boats get run hard and it's not uncommon to see broken stringers, bulkheads, etc. on flats boats that get the piss beat out of them. If the boat didn't get the proper construction from the factory they need to make it right. I'm just saying that even with construction that meets their 2003 baseline the boat could come apart after 18 years of hard use.

Keep us updated.

Josh B.