Donh

On the Lagoon

7 posts in this topic

Reds on the Lagoon today. Really crowded with the holiday weekend, but plenty of reds for everyone. This little crab pattern pays off again.

dh

IMG_0321.PNG

IMG_0322.PNG

2 people like this

Nice fly, Don!   Is your tan dubbing a brush of some kind (with rubber legs in it)?

The body is deer hair, the collar is EP Brush 1/2 inch, couple of hackles for claws and EP crab/shrimp eyes. Sometimes a touch of EP fiber in orange for egg sack. This always seems to work on the slot reds. For the bigger ones need a larger profile, i.e.  bait fish. At least never hooked a bull red on this pattern.

Saw something this time never seen before. The schools were rolling kinda' , flashing their white bellies. Don't know why but it sure helped us find them.

dh

1 person likes this

On 5/29/2017 at 11:49 AM, Donh said:

The body is deer hair, the collar is EP Brush 1/2 inch, couple of hackles for claws and EP crab/shrimp eyes. Sometimes a touch of EP fiber in orange for egg sack. This always seems to work on the slot reds. For the bigger ones need a larger profile, i.e.  bait fish. At least never hooked a bull red on this pattern.

Saw something this time never seen before. The schools were rolling kinda' , flashing their white bellies. Don't know why but it sure helped us find them.

dh

Real Fish Reside in Chokoloskee...enough about those wonderful trips to da-lagoon !!!  (LOL)

Glad to see you had a great time....now, stop being busy and let's go to Choko and at least look for feeeesh....haha

dc

Nice red.. I really like the fly also!!  Is the water up there clear now or is there still a bunch of algae around?

Water is in pretty good shape. Wind will stir it up once in a while. No bloom.

dh