MA 17 vs. MA18

horseshoe_scott

I am like many of you. I have had many boats. Some big, some really small and some in between.  Fiberglass and aluminum. Tunnels, bays, flats, etc... I always find the beauty in them all.  Now at 40 years of age and much less time for fishing I want to acquire a Master Angler for many reasons mainly including nostalgia. II just love their versatility and am ahold school flats boat enthusiast.  In your opinions is there any advantages or disadvantages to the 17 model versus the 18?  Obviously the 17 is shorter, but I do not have any restrictions to length like having to put it in a garage.  It will be mostly me by myself and occasionally my wife and or young daughter.  I have had true poling skiffs and am over that and more of a trolling motor man now.  The 17 seems to have just as much storage and looks like it would ride just as good, but  am counting on you seasoned owners to let me know if there is any important differences in the 2 hulls to make note of before I make a purchase.  There seem to be man more 17's available for sale than the 18's as well.  Thanks for taking any time to read this and help me out.

I've owned a 94 17 w 115 yam 2 stroke and an 02 18.5 w 175 hpdi. Few more questions. Is speed important to you? What about range/mpg? engine technology? Most 17MA will come with a 115 or 130 yam carb 2 stroke, then 115 yam 4 strokes and don't hold your breathe for the 150 4 stroke bc it is few and very far between. Whereas you can find a decent mix of straight 2 strokes, HPDI's (pretty much all 01+), a few 150 4 strokes.

The 17 MA has 1 deck layout, with refinements like VARIS and increased max hp from 130 to 150hp in the later model years (i think 06+). 

The 18.5 has 3 deck layouts: no rod lockers (92? to 00?), duel rod lockers (96-00?), last deck design 01+ which is 1 rod locker and bigger console plus front hatch hidden dedicated trolling motor storage

The 17 MA will run low/mid 40's on avg w 115/130 yam, about the same w 115 4 stroke, and mid 50s w a 150 4s

The 18.5 willl run low mid 50's (150) and sometimes high 50s (w 175)

I would agreed that 17 layout has excellent storage, both excellent rides, 17 will draft 1-1.5 inches less than the 18.5 but i what caused me to make the switch was the extra length, speed, no more ole 2 stroke (hpdi is awesome), efficiency of the hpdi, did i mention speed? haha. It's very close but overall my vote goes to the 18.5. hard to beat w a 175 hpdi

Mitz pretty much lays it out.

I own and 18, my buddy has a 17, I think they fish and ride very similar. I would say it comes down to motor options, the lay out and the console, which setup you like best. Those are the only real differences. You can't go wrong with either boat.

The good news is that you are asking if dark chocolate is better than milk chocolate.   Either way, you have great taste. :)  Good luck on your search and let us know where you end up (and post lots of pics, some of us really enjoy those).  

I agree with you that there are a lot more 17's out there and 18's are in demand at the moment.  I know there are a few really nice ones out there, unusual to see some post-2004 18's, but there are (or at least were) two of them recently - an 08 and Nag's 06.    

Good luck - I know I love the two 18's I've owned and have never felt cramped on either of them - and I have 5 kids!

Great advice as was hoping to receive.  I had a Redfisher 18 for a short stint and my wife still says that was probably her favorite.  I think the extra room couldn't hurt, especially when I want to bring a fish cooler along.  Also thinking about getting a big forward tower for taking it out to Delacroix.  I also admit that even though 30-40 mph in a boat is plenty fast enough, it is still nice to get on up in the 50's every now and again to feel young for a moment.  I was looking actually at PlainoMaverick's 18 he has listed and that ride is set up very much how I would want mine as well.  Of course it would be nice to find one at a good price that needed re-power because I would put a F150 on there in a heartbeat, but those old 2 stroke carb Yamahas are tough as nails motors and will run strong for many years.

I just picked up my first MA17...Conocean knew I was looking to upgrade from my skinny mini Pathy 17 and called me..

Best call I ever had...

I've owned a Robolo 29 (*72'), Dusky 23 (2000), Redfisher 18 (2003), Pathfinder 22 (2005), Pathfinder 17T, 1998, and now a 1995 MA 17 with a 2 stroke 115.

Read any of my posts and you  can see the upgrades....long story short...deal of a lifetime...garage kept for 20 years...limited use..the owner died of a heart attack...had not been used in 5 years....it's like a cream puff.

So far, it's literally the best boat I've every owned, for what it does...it takes the chop like a 22 Pathy and when trimmed properly, is dry as a bone...you can run 25-30 in a TRUE 2 foot chop....the deck layout is designed for fishing and the older models are 100% glass

More than enough storage.....

I'm just over 60 and this will be by last skiff....you won't be disappointed if you are looking for a trolling platform - I'm using a Ultera 24v 80 with dual power poles...

It does draft a good bit...but, you'll be loving the deep V when you are running home 20 miles into some white caps on the flats.

34180122336_ecff4b4161_h.jpgIMG_3463 by Dino Cardelli, on Flickr

DC

Mitz covered everything very comprehensively and the others chimed in intelligently too but, even though I'm a 17 owner, I must admit that the boat is by no means a speed demon and I often wish I had more top end.  Thus, there is the possibility that I'll move up to an 18 at some point (or preferably a 21 if I can find the right kind of storage).  Another thing to consider, and I know this may be argued by some, but the 17 just doesn't perform like you'd expect it to with a jackplate.  If you don't care about having one then it's a non-issue.  I've seen many more 18s with JPs than 17s.  And even more so with 21s. Seems like the bigger the hull gets, the better the boat performs with one. 

BUT.... one thing I always keep in mind is that the hardcore anglers that come on my boat, both bait and fly, always say the same thing to me:  "Don't ever sell this boat".

jb

DSC03226.JPG

Archived