Trout bite...top water....Savannah

fishmanjj

I got out yesterday morning on outgoing....looking for reds coming out of grass, however, the trout were hungry for top water baits and after an hour...we managed to have 8 keepers. Crazy thing is....we never caught a redfish. We were happy with the trout though....took the boat home, put them on ice and then went on to work. Trying to figure out how to fish every morning before going to work now.........

IMG_8105.JPG

When I am sleeping, you are fishing!   Not fair.  I need to see if I can get a job where you work!!!!!  Nice catch in muddy water.  I put the boat in Sunday morning, skipped church, and took two other couples from Atlanta to Daufuskie for lunch.  The water was muuuddddyyyy.  I need to get some fishing lessons from you.

untitled - Copy.png

I typically use a Zara Spook Jr. , unless the water a little choppy....then I use a original size Zara Spook or Top Dog with the rattle chamber.  As for colors....white / red head or the silver / black combo....even the clear ones.  There are so many colors to choose from, I just use what I have confidence in and keep it simple. The key is the cadence that you retrieve it with....walk the dog. 

1 hour ago, HewesYourDaddy said:

Thanks! I found a good selection of them at Wally World. Now I just have to get back out on the water. 

If possible, buy the ones with "saltwater hooks" , otherwise you'll be sharpening and changing the stock hooks on the others. Look for the little small sticker on the pack that says "saltwater hooks".

Trout will come up and eat it aggressively, but redfish typically slap it first, I think because their mouth is beneath them more than trout, it's hard to get a hook set,  keep those hooks sharp...and you'll catch the redfish also. Sometimes in the side of their head or top of their head........but, you can put them in the boat too.

Archived