Seastar or Baystar steering system

lurem

Skip or anyone. Which kits do you install on the Redfishers? I also see a kit offered by UFLEX for hydraulic steering? Any recommendations?

I have a 2007 Hewes Redfisher  16' flats boat with a 115 Yamaha 2 stroke and 4" hydraulic jackplate. My mechanical steering is shot and am wanting to upgrade to hydraulic. I see baystar and seastar kits. Which would be best for me?'

Dale looks like bay star is for non hi performance easy to steer boats that are 150 hp or less and under ;55 mph,next is there sea star for speeds up to 65 , there best is the pro sea star. Has heavy duty hoses and a faster ratio . I am not sure what they are saying when they say easy to steer boats.  Joe R

Funny Mulligan! As a matter of fact I was parked next to Hurricane at the sandbar gig and was sizing up his motor to put on the back of mine since his is all faded and he should be the one getting a 175 SHO for his Maverick!! haha

I've had both Bay Star and Sea Star....the Bay Star was on a 115 hp and Sea Star on both 150hp and 250hp.....if I remember correctly the Bay Star is for like 90's, 115's, 130's...........and the Sea Star is for bigger motors like 150 hp and bigger....both are excellent products.

6 hours ago, lurem said:

Funny Mulligan! As a matter of fact I was parked next to Hurricane at the sandbar gig and was sizing up his motor to put on the back of mine since his is all faded and he should be the one getting a 175 SHO for his Maverick!! haha

Dale, Ill let you be the one to tell Jessie about the new motor. Ill be down the street or maybe even  outta town, while you inform her of the new purchase!

Back to the steering. You might need to check and see if there are any clearance issues with the steering unit and the splashwell. Don't have much to offer other than that. I have only had the Seastar units. Have heard good things about Uflex, and I would think you would be ok with the Baystar unit.  I would price them all out and go from there. 

I thought about that. You can tell her that you bought new decals because I was busting your chops about yours being faded. When she gets the bill for the decals, then you can tell her that there was a new engine attached to them!! haha  It's all in the wording my friend!! I am here for you brother!!

Dear lovely wife,

I bought the new motor for our son, not me.  Every time I started it he coughed from the smoke. Again I was only thinking of him.  When we spoke on the phone and I asked if it was OK to get the motor i  thought you said  it was a "go" not "no", it was hard to tell with that loud two stroke running.  Please let me know when I can come home and stop sleeping on Dale's couch.

You guys are to much!! Haha

I called the folks at seastar and yes, like mentioned above,  the baystar has the smaller footprint and it suited for my 115 hp motor so I ordered it as well as a new turn signal lever for my Jack plate. Hopefully get it Wednesday  (amazon prime baby) and can get started on it this week.

• 1 month later...

Archived