Boca Grande questions

I used to make this trip often but it has now been a few years since I have brought a boat down and have a few questions:

what is my best ramp to use while staying on the island as far as overcrowding and cost? 

Are there any gas stations with marine/non ethanol?

How has the fishing been?

Where are you staying on the Island?

Eldred's Marina, just before the bridge going onto the Island is a good spot. They have everything you need, and its a safe place to leave your truck and trailer. There's a public ramp just before Eldred's, but it gets pretty crowded. There are a few "pay for" ramps on the Island as well, but trailer parking can be tough. Boca Grande Marina, and Whidden's Marina on the Island have gas, and Gasparilla Marina on the mainland has gas as well. 

Snook fishings been solid. Tough to find the Red's but they are there, and Tarpon are thick on the tides.

Off shore Ln

I've used Henry's before but I just kept the old tower boat in a wet slip. Is it cheaper/easier to use eldreds/public launch and pay the toll or to find somewhere on the island and pay there?

I catch plent of reds and trout in SC and really want to stay on tarpon and snook.

I usually fish the beaches in the morning and avoid fishing the pass, are there any general areas close by (don't need specifics) that are worth looking for tarpon once it gets rough off the beach?

The problem with the ramps on the Island is parking. Call The Innlets, and see if they will let you use their ramp. If they are not crowded, sometimes they will. You can also call Widden's and see if they have room.

The snook are all over the mangroves. Live bait is the way to go, and you gotta fish them when the waters moving either in or out. The wind's blowing out of the east right now, so the beaches are pretty smooth. Check the point at Cayo Costa, the beach, and the points at North Captiva, and Redfish Pass. Early morning fly fishing on the beach for snook has been good as well.

13 hours ago, SouthernWake said:

Uncle Henry's is $50 a day to use the ramp and opens at 8...was blown away when they said that but somone must be paying it.

How much was dockage?  We stay at the Innlet once or twice a year and I think they charge a $50 ramp fee as well if you aren't docking your boat, but not if you are staying and keeping your boat there, I think dockage is something like $45.  So they clearly want to discourage use of the ramp apart from dockage.

It's been a couple of years now but kept my boat at Uncle Henry's while staying at a condo up on the north end with no slip, and I'm pretty sure it was less or at least not much more than $50 a day for dockage.

Eldred's is $8 for ramp and parking.  That plus toll may be cheapest.  But if it were me, I'd want the boat in the water, just so much easier (and can come in and take a nap, then go back out when it cools off).

Very important to leave the receipt on the dash at Eldred's!!! Don't ask my buddy what happens to your truck and trailer if you don't!! :P  If you are staying for a few days you will probably park around back, very secure and worth the $7 per day. I usually keep my trailer and truck there when I go to Cabbage Key for the weekend. Nice simple boat ride down there.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived