Venice area and south- Redfish

rubble

Have a trip in Sept/Oct planned to stay in Venice on a floating house to do some hardcore redfishing. Have two friends we are staying with that have done this for a couple of yeara now and they have had a lot of success. They may help us some But I dont want to be too dependent in them getting us in fish. Where do we need to focus on fishing (river/creek mouths in the main river?,offshore?, marshes? Etc), best bait, where to eat, all other suggestions???

we do it every year on the last week end of July. google the area on google earth and look for the wagon wheel and Benevieu(sp?)Pass. we take that pass off the river to the left, where the 3 big white tanks( you can see the tanks on google earth) are and follow it to the gulf, the turn left and follow the shoreline going up into the different cuts and passes. we kind of just bass fish the cane untill we get a hit, then concentrate on that area for about 30 min or untill the bite quits. dead shrimp under corks and spinner baits work good. also just offshore from that coastline are many little 4 pile platforms called chairs. on calmer days we run from chair to chair chunking up under them for reds and black drum. that cane is a maze, so keep an eye on the gps and don't lose your track. good luck.

In my opinion one would be better off to hire a guide for the first time out, then go from there. There are so many variables in fishing there that there is no substitute for local expertise.  You can find fish lots of places but look for life first and moving water next. You will have a blast.! Closest place to heaven on earth.

• 3 months later...

SW Pass is the place to be. You can fish the spillways going into West Bay. The rock jetties hold a tremendous amount of reds. The bulls will be in the pass. On outside of the jetties you will find the smaller fish . Joseph bayou will hold a lot of fish.  Remember to run down the river on the east side. Hug the shoreline about 20 yds off. This will be the smoothest  ride and it also cuts down your trip by at least a mile or so.  Stay away from Pass a Loutre, the sand bars can't be seen and will do a job on your boat.

If the weather is bad you can run down Red Pass, which is the pass that Venice marina opens up into. That will take you to the Sandy Point area. The rigs there are a short distance from the mouth of the pass. They are loaded with Bull Reds. You will be sick of catching them. 

I can give you more advise on the area if you like.

Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...

If you see this boat around the Mississippi Delta in the next week or so, give'em a wave and some hot tips. First trip to Venice. 

Big Sassy- The first trip with this boat in the salt was last Dec. this trip was to include my Dad but he died a few months before the trip. His favorite thing in the world was catching snook. He talked about it for years and we got to make three trips with guides to catch snook. We eventually purchased a boat so we could spend more time doing it on our own. We had originally named her Snookered but we found that there were similar names out there so we never made it official. We never got to make the trip in our boat. Last Dec my Son and I, while on our first trip on the Everglades Wilderness Waterway, decided to name her Big Sassy. For some reason, that is what my Son called Dad when he was first able to speak and it stuck.  It was the perfect name. Ecause he was a big man and sassy was an understatement. IMG_4515.thumb.JPG.03a980c9b1eec25cd747ede42365dff5.JPG Now, Big Sassy gets to make all of the fishing trips and that is pretty dang awesome for me. 

• 2 weeks later...

Nate ran us out 3 days early but we were somewhat successful finding fish. Winds were out of the East most days at 12-15. We tried to get down to the SW Pass and go around to the west bay side of jetty but half way down the pass jetty I decided to head north for cover. Waves were breaking over the east jetty at what looked to be 8-10 footers. 

Spent a day in S Pass near Port Eads. We limited out down there fishing the main reed lines. Bait of choice each day out was spinnerbait with purp/char plastic. We also targeted rocks with moving water. Usually at main river cuts. We tried back in the passes but they were usually covered up with other boats. Everyone was teying to get out of the wind. 

Look forward to making this trip again in the near future. 

IMG_4579.JPG

IMG_4583.JPG

Roy.  Appreciate the info you provided.  We didn't get to hit many of those areas but I think we should have.  Our other boat had spots they wanted to hit so we hung with them most of the time.  

The only other thing that would be of great help is a good Redfish Recipe.  We took some fish to the restaurant at the marina and had them do some fried and some blackened.  Both were really good.  The fried batter and the blackened seasoning were not overwhelming.  As a matter of fact, there wasn't a ton of flavor so it didn't overpower the fish.  I think part of the reason that made both so good is that we cleaned them and went straight to the marina.  I've never had redfish that good.  I have some House Autry and some other cajun type bag batter.  Those will probably do fine.  I also have some good cajun blackened spices I picked up in Pcola back in the Spring.  

• 3 weeks later...

Archived