Tarpon setup

gambler1

So I made an impulse buy on a spinning rod/reel combo for Tarpon this weekend. Not sure I made the right move on setup.

I bought a TFO 7'11" Mag XH 2-8 oz - 20-40# braid ;Paired with a Shimano Thunnus 8000 that will hold 290 yds of PP and weighs 19.4 oz w/20# drag

I plan on pitching crabs and thread fins in Tampa bay near the Skyway and in open water as well. My concern is the softness or should I say "stiffness" of the tip

of the rod for casting distance. Have not used it yet but balance seems "off" for that combo.Don't know if the rod is to stiff or reel is to big. Any experience on this combo or others you are happy with?

Tackle dealer said this was a great setup for that and a lot of guys that were previously using the 8' XH Terramar and similar reels are using these now.

This year, my goal is to land a Tarpon. I, too, needed a rig, so I asked everyone around here what I should buy. I ended up reading a CCA magazine article which I again passed by the local guides to critique. They all said "....that will work!"

A 30 pound rod with a soft tip and stiff enough to apply pressure to a 60 to 80 pound fish.

A 6000 series spinning real loaded up with 30 pound braid. Although it holds less than the 8000 reels, you have to chase the fish to get line back in the flats anyway. The 6000 easier to control.

Double a few feet of the main line and tie on a few feet of 50 pound braid. Add 20 feet of 60 pound mono, followed by 5 feet of 100 pound mono.

Match circle hooks to bait size.

Being a Tarpon rookie, I'm now learning the advanced knots, FG, Albright, modified Albright, etc. to put everything together. I'm pretty sure if I am lucky enough to hook one, one of my knots will fail, but the prep to get to that point is a lot of fun.

The two most helpful guides I communicate with, both tell me that the tackle is a system and all the parts can be modified, but I've got a place to start.

I hope I'm not over complicating this! I could use input, too! I'm fishing the Homosassa, Crystal River area.

If you ask 10 people you'll get at least 7 answers, this is true with everything as you know, especially fishing. When I have friends and family visit that want to catch, hook anyway, a tarpon I have 15-30lb rod and a 6000 spinning reel / 30 lb braid that has always performed well. Shimano Teramar / Cabo PT 60. Probably have $300 in the whole setup. 

FG knots are the business! I tie 10'-12' of 40lb. mono to the braid and a couple feet of fluorocarbon as a tippet. Saves money on fluorocarbon and with circle hooks it seems the leaders don't take such a beating. 

I'm a convent guy for all the big fish I go for, but I do use Shimano saragossa 6000 for many applications if casting lighter plugs or baits. I personnally like a heavier tippet floro to prevent chaffing through on a long fight. 80lbs if the fish are over 100lbs.                                          

Archived