Cracked Bottom

mminassian

On 5/14/2017 at 5:27 PM, mminassian said:

I was out in the boat today and I just had gotten a new switch panel installed that lights up when the devices are on. Anyway I happened to notice that my bilge pump kept coming on and staying on and then shutting off and repeating. 

So I headed back to my marina and had them yank my boat out of the water asap and low and behold my worst fears.

boat is a 2002 MA 21 and on that boat I guess it has a center section that looks like a ridepad that runs 3/4's the length of the boat. Well both sides of this ride pad are cracked and one side has movement if you push on it while the other doesn't. The cracks run almost the whole length of this ride pad.

surprisingly its no where near the sea chest.

has anyone had this happen and if so any info on how much work is involved to fit it? I'll be having a professional do it as I don't mess with fiberglass.

thanks for the help.

Any updates ???

dc

On 5/14/2017 at 5:27 PM, mminassian said:

I was out in the boat today and I just had gotten a new switch panel installed that lights up when the devices are on. Anyway I happened to notice that my bilge pump kept coming on and staying on and then shutting off and repeating. 

So I headed back to my marina and had them yank my boat out of the water asap and low and behold my worst fears.

boat is a 2002 MA 21 and on that boat I guess it has a center section that looks like a ridepad that runs 3/4's the length of the boat. Well both sides of this ride pad are cracked and one side has movement if you push on it while the other doesn't. The cracks run almost the whole length of this ride pad.

surprisingly its no where near the sea chest.

has anyone had this happen and if so any info on how much work is involved to fit it? I'll be having a professional do it as I don't mess with fiberglass.

thanks for the help.

Any updates ???

dc

On 5/16/2017 at 11:53 PM, bigsnook35 said:

The boat doctor in Tampa is one of the best. It is where Shaeffer bay boats are built. 

These guys are legit and Shaeffer has been doing new and refurbs for decades. I would strongly recommend at least talking to them. They may be one of the most expensive, but I assure you it would be done right. 

Well I ended up making a claim against my insurance and they ended up covering the claim so I'm still in the process of getting estimates and actually selecting a company to do the repairs. It's been somewhat over whelming between how everyone wants to do it a different way. I was going to take it to ingman marine since maverick recommended them but now ted over there isn't calling me back so I may scratch them off the list.

really stinks I just want to be out on the boat 

• 3 months later...
On 5/16/2017 at 10:36 PM, mminassian said:

I do have insurance, I will be calling to see if I have any claim but I don't know how that works.

I talked to one guy today and he is working on giving me a price for a full refurb with removing the deck etc.

I am trailering the boat to another guy tomorrow who is going to take a look at it and give me his opinion.

And tomorrow I will be calling MBG to see if they are still doing refurbs and what my options would be.

If anyone has a good shop, I'd be willing to trailer it to somewhere in Tampa.  I live in Largo currently but not afraid to drive.  I want someone who is going to do it right the first time and charges a fair market price.  Already decided that if I do cut out the deck, I'm going to be doing some replumbing, replacing the gas tank etc.  Boat was just rewired in 2012 if I remember from when flipping through the receipts from old owner.

Any other suggestions?  Really was planning on doing trolling motor and gps instead of this LOL

Durite Boat Works in Stuart.  I know it's a haul from where you are but, if you want it done right based on the pics and all the reviews that people in that area have said...There is a thread on hear and they are currently in the process of refurbing billythekids Berg/Maverick Hull.  Just search Billythekid.  

On 5/26/2017 at 11:19 AM, mminassian said:

Well I ended up making a claim against my insurance and they ended up covering the claim so I'm still in the process of getting estimates and actually selecting a company to do the repairs. It's been somewhat over whelming between how everyone wants to do it a different way. I was going to take it to ingman marine since maverick recommended them but now ted over there isn't calling me back so I may scratch them off the list.

really stinks I just want to be out on the boat 

Call Bob at Inshore Marine in Pompano....he was a glass guy for many years before he moved to more technical work...he did some glass work on my boat which was incredible

dc

Got it back about a month ago had Stewart at Reliance Marine here in st pete do the work. He did an awesome job, there was way more damage to the bulkheads and stringers than we originally thought so it ended up costing double what I thought and took twice as long  but had the boat out this past weekend and it ran like a champ. Gonna really put it through its paces on Sunday going fishing with a buddy! Good to be back on the water now I just gotta find the fish!

12 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

yeah....but, for those who love the hobby....there is no other feeling than running the shallows, no one around for miles out in the ENP or Fla Keys...hard to buy....or even have that experience anywhere else....

dc

Hey I'm with ya, you seen the bottom of my boat;) I didn't move to the Redlands because I like cutting 2.5 acres of grass and horrible drivers. 

Archived