Wtb redfisher 16 or 17 hpx any thoughts? Need to sell my 20zx skeeter bay first

keyslife2781

I dont but can. Basically want something can pole and take family out to little islands to swim etc..when fishing I fish no more than 2 other people..love the skeeter but want to go little less boat for towing, putting in and out, storing etc..had a b2 before family and absolutely loved it. 

Just my 2 cents ... I recently just test rode the 17hpx-v.. I have a 2010 16 Hewes redfisher... I really thought I wanted that hpx, until I took it for a spin.. its a great boat, don't get me wrong, but my Hewes rides better and is more stable when walking around.. It also has more room if you are doing the family thing.. but If you pole a lot, that might be a deciding factor for the hpx.. I was also very surprised how well a 70 moved that hpx boat, but it is 400lbs lighter then the Hewes.. I don't pole a lot and mostly use a trolling motor.. and that Hewes handles chop really well.  So I basically decided I was just going to buy a new model Hewes and sell my 2010 model.. once again.. just my 2 cents.. hope this helps....

I recently fished the salt marsh flats for redfish aboard a 17 HPX-S.  I have a new Redfisher 16.  Both boats are great for what they were designed for, but they are very different.  My Redfisher is a wide-beam fishing platform that is very stable and has enough vee for a smooth ride in a chop.  The Redfisher 16 is a BIG 16 footer that works well for fishing shallow waters and bays as well as freshwater lakes for bass.
On the other hand, the Maverick 17 HPX-S is the ultimate, lightweight technical poling skiff for fishing very skinny water.  With a 70hp 4S Yamaha and three persons on board, the HPX could be poled into the shallowest of places on the salt marsh flats as soon as the tidewaters covered the oyster beds and the redfish moved in.  And, the hull was dead quiet.  Seriously, I tried to hear any kind of noise while the hull moved through the water, but could not!  The HPX is narrower and less stable when you move around in the boat, and the ride was not as soft as my Redfisher when the wind kicked up and the waters were choppy.  So, it all comes down to what your needs are.  The good thing is that whether you want a light tackle backcountry boat, or a skinny-water technical poling skiff, or you want to haul the family to the Sand Bar in the Beautiful New PF 25 Hybrid...  MBG has got you covered!

thanks for your reply geeviam!!  For selfish reasons I really want the maverick hpx-v but for family and what my boss says (lol) need to get in something little bigger with more room.  I had the B2 beavertail and absolutely loved it but the days in getting in 5 inches of water are not in my near future I think.  Really torn between the two.  I have been in a maverick hpx and performed great havent been in a hewes redfisher yet.  NEED the SKEETER GONE!!

The Skeeter looks great!  GLWS.  IMO, if I were to trade my Redfisher for a new Maverick, and I needed more room and the best ride, I would go for the Mirage 18 HPX-V with a Yamaha 115 Vmax SHO or Mercury 115 Pro XS.  However, I love the Redfisher and the price of the 18 HPX-V was more $ than my budget could handle at that time.  No matter which way you lean, make sure you take a test ride in ANY boat, regardless of the reputation of the boat company, before you make the final decision to buy!  Just some advice and opinion.

I know i am going in every different direction but wanted a little info on the mosquito skiffs out of orlando..im just keeping options open and you guys have so much advice which is been very beneficial. Saw a 2011 today on way home and looked pretty sweet. Alot of room

3 hours ago, keyslife2781 said:

I know i am going in every different direction but wanted a little info on the mosquito skiffs out of orlando..im just keeping options open and you guys have so much advice which is been very beneficial. Saw a 2011 today on way home and looked pretty sweet. Alot of room

The Mosquito Bay Skiff is a good looking boat and the folks who build it have a reputation for quality work. They've been building and repairing boats for many years.  The only problem I have with their boat is that it does not include a fuel tank.  Not even an option, last time I checked.

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 6:47 PM, keyslife2781 said:

Is a 115 2 stroke yamaha to much for a older model 17 hpx

NO.. It runs great with that power as long as you like to go fast.. I love my HPX but it is not a family boat...

After much debate I am going to keep the skeeter.  Looking to simplify it by taking off power pole and i pilot trolling motor. Will put in accessories and props secrion. Looking to trade for 80lbs minn kota with handle or a gheenoe. Thanks guys for all your input and advice much appreciated. I will own a poling skiff again one day but for now bayboat.

Archived