Transom mount vs jackplate bracket power poles

OldestCityLocal

12 hours ago, OldestCityLocal said:

worried about weight on the transom

The brackets are not all that heavy.

I have always thought a transom mount has a much cleaner look to them and if all things the same would go with a transom mount.  That being said I currently have a jackplate bracket for the reason Hurricane mentioned. Between the stringer knees and trim tab pocket I would have had to mount high up or on the outside of the tab pocket which I could not reach without some cutting of the hatch. 

I did mine a little different by having Quality T-tops in Tarpon Springs make my brackets onto my poling platform. I had an idea and made a cardboard template and took it to Travis. He said he had never done one like that. We had concerns about how much stress it would be and I agreed to be the guinea pig . It has been on for several years now and I don't see any cracks.

o9mv7q.jpg

b6dj0x.jpg

5n2bl.jpg

I just added dual 10ft blades to my 02 MA 21 and it's a fairly straight forward install with the brackets on the jack plate except for two things.  I have a bobs jack plate that didn't have the predrilled holes so I had to drill holes.  second the bobs jack plate needs a spacer which I got from power pole and well it doesn't fit the recessed area on the jackplate.  According to power pole tech in his words, the spacer fits more caddywompous than either in the recess or outside of the recess.  I was a little turned off by this but overall the install went great.  I would highly suggest avoid drilling through your transom if you have the ability to go with jack plate mounts.  Plus when the poles are deployed they go out on an angle which 1. looks bad to the bone, and 2. I feel like it gives a bigger footprint which may add a little stability but who knows.

If you want to get the spacer to fit you can trim the back edge.  I took a bit off the spacer and it fit right in. 

7 hours ago, mminassian said:

Plus when the poles are deployed they go out on an angle

Power Pole does have a wedge you can use with a transom mount to kick them out on an angle, I have one sitting in my shop if anyone needs it.

15 hours ago, OldestCityLocal said:

That's a nice set up. I don't have a platform on my boat so it's wide open. 

Not having a platform should free up some transom space for mounting. I didn't think about that in my previous post. But I still like the jackplate mounting, its keeps the poles tighter to the motor and more outta the way. 

Archived