98 Hewes LT 18 Rehab

Reel Loco

Hey FLDXT,

Thanks for the heads up. I do have that website in my favorites but didn't realize that they carried the colored heatshrink. I ended up using a combination of airbrush paint and colored electrical tape to identify my wires. The only ones needing additional colors were the wires from the fuse block to the switches. I ended up super gluing the ends of the electrical tape so they would not unravel in time.

I've been out of business working on the LT and my bike due to contracting some type of poison on my hands and leg. DROVE ME NUTS!!! I had to get up two to three times a night to treat it. I've never had poison be so dang persistant! Today is about the first day in a week and a half I did not have to coat my hands with Aveeno and take an antihistamine.

I'm getting serious now about looking for an engine. I'm still considering all makes but pretty sure it'll be a 140/150HP. I still have to finish painting the outside of the hull and flip her back over but I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Hope we have an early fall so I can get back on the hull.

Again, thanks for the heads up. :content:

RL

Reel Loco has been at it again since he got rid of the Oak poison or whatever that nightmare he had went away. :)

I've been wetsanding and compounding the center console. I put about 6-8hrs in the wetsanding and about 2hrs in the compounding/waxing. I started with 320 grit and worked all the way up through 1500 grit. I used 3M's Marine Fibergl*** Cleaner and Wax to finish off. The center console was rehabbed & gelcoated almost entirely by Crawfish (I did some patching and grinding before he took over).

Before pic (actually had more holes before this picture)

med_1320070968-ConsoleBefore2_zpse46079c5.jpg

Some photos after wetsanding and compounding

P1070614_zpsc5e2d031.jpg

P1070613_zpsdec8c607.jpg

P1070617_zps1d6eabf4.jpg

Coudn't resist putting some things back on

P1070619_zps6d1017d9.jpg

The door frame needed to be refinished as some of the paint looked like it had been eaten by battery acid.

P1070620_zps8ddb14dd.jpg[/url]

This one's for Skiffen!

P1070622_zps6c3536a7.jpg

Skiffen sold me the windshield and grab rail. He'll be glad to see them mounted.

This is the tag on the windshield if anyone needs that for future reference.

P1070623_zps01806699.jpg

FLDXT,

Thanks for the heads up on the gasket material although I used Tap Plastics for my switch panel. My gasket material was in good shape and I was able to remove it. What's the website for your gasket material in case I screw mine up?!

I also ordered two of these from Boat Outfitters today. I like that the struts are made from starboard material.

Rodholder_zps4bfd0b63.jpg

Bob,

Thanks for the compliment. I'm really happy with the way it turned out. :content:

I'm going to get a couple of large thin plastic cutting boards from Wally World and install them inside the console using the bolts from the grab rail and rodholders. Then I'll mount my fuse block and whatever else that gets mounted on the cutting board material and reduce the number of fastener holes I have to drill in the console. My new wire harness is ready and raring to go!

I mounted starboard in the same manner. I used some SS. tee nuts for the screws to go into. That way the inside is smooth, no nuts in the way of mounting stuff.

The tee nuts are good to use for mounting heavy items inside. McMaster Carr has a good price/selection on the SS. tee nuts.

Custom creative plastics has starboard about as cheap as you can find. They are in Miami i think.

Tee nut is a short tube with internal threads and a flange on one end.Picture a round nut with a washer welded to one end. Drill a hole in the starboard then press in the tee nut and run screw in from opposite side.

It takes the place of a nut only it is flush with the surface. Go to Mcmaster Carr and look up tee nuts, it will explain itself.

Critters walking by, the cat lady across the street puts out food at night. 5 raccoons visit soon after dark every night. As long as they stay on the other side of the street they won't get trapped and relocated to the old lady who cooks them!!!

I checked, my console has not run away from home.

Are you planning to replace the shelf inside the console and if so what are you using. My LT came with a set of three and another set of two rod holders mounted on the port side only. I found this a bit odd at first, but as I used the boat more the "clean" side made traveling back and front easier. Don't have any grab bars and need to add a couple.

Hey Gary-

Wanted to let you know that I got the OEM windshield today thru Ingman Marine in PC. Saw that you couldn't wait to see your new console with the shield and grabrail. Gonna look great when it's all together. I'm going to replace the original rod holders as well on mine. Did you check to see if you're going to have enough clearance for your rods with the holders you got with the rail installed? I know I don't with the OEM ones on the boat now. Think you might have to space your holders away from the console? I find it a pain that the listings for the holders out there for sale don't have all the dimensional specs that you need to make a decision on what they are considering buying.