98 Hewes LT 18 Rehab

Reel Loco

• 1 month later...

Wow, it's been 2 months since my last working post. I didn't realize it had been that long. I've been keeping an eye on the 80 Bonefisher project and that is going great! Best wishes to that father and son team!

I would not call today a setback for the 98LT but things did not proceed as planned. The plan was to shoot three coats of Fighting Lady gelcoat on all the bare gl*** areas using Preval sprayers. Since I had never used them prior I did not know what to expect. My project ended up being waaaaay too large for that type of sprayer. I ended up with an extremely thin first coat as the gelcoat could not be applied fast enough using the preval. I was mixing 4oz gelcoat, 3/4oz styrene & 2.5cc of MEK-P. The spray was very fine and took forever to apply which ended up with 1/2 the material kicking in the jar.

Makeshift tent to keep direct sun off the gelcoat.

P1070035_zpsa50c4df3.jpg

Some pics after the first shoot.

[P1070031_zps8caa777e.jpg

[P1070032_zps73058f39.jpg

[P1070040_zps118fa491.jpg

Realizing this was going to take forever with the preval sprayers I decided to apply the second coat with a foam roller. Gelcoat is definitely nothing like paint!

Some pics after the second coat.

[P1070036_zps19860a20.jpg

[P1070038_zps16aac1fe.jpg

[P1070039_zps105bcc55.jpg

For the second coat I added an 1/8oz of sanding aid to the mixture. After sanding this new gelcoat I'll determine if I'll be doing any more coats. I mainly decided to gelcoat the bare gl*** areas as a waterproofing and UV deterrant since the hull is going to be painted. Here's hoping I don't sand off all the gelcoat I just applied!!! }:( :susel:

Hey BF,

Dejavu! I thought I was looking at my driveway when I checked out your last post(LOL). I can't imagine what my neighbors really think :) . I actually had a visit from the city when I first built the structure to lift the cap off. Guess I wasn't breaking any laws as that was over a year ago.

One of the problems that I'm experiencing is that fishing KEEPS getting in the way :content:. Oldsalt and I are scheduled to go out again on the 7th of July. I have a couple other fishing buddies also so at times it's hard to find time to work on the LT.

Anyway good luck with the topcoat tommorrow. Can't wait to see the pics!

Gary,

You should spray the bottom with a couple coats of white gel coat and only paint the sides. That way if you scratch the bottom, you won't have to be matching and blending paint and can just use a gel coat to touch up scratches, plus a scratch won,t show up so much as if the paint is scraped off.

I have a couple spots that could use some touching up while your at. It :)

• 2 weeks later...

Gary,

I can't wait to see you finsih this awsome project. I recently bought the same model from a gentleman that rarely used it, it was a garage queen. It's a great boat, you will love it. I wonder what power options you may be considering.

If you have any question that you feel I can give you some insight, feel free to ask.

Yoel,

YRod38@yahoo.com

yrod1 & Flaton,

Thanks for the compliments. I'm having gelcoat issues at the moment. The second coat of gelcoat I applied did not totally kick like it should have. }:( Tried to sand it but it totally gummed up the the sand paper. Luckily I was able to remove alot of it with acetone and rags. I was also having a problem with the gelcoat adhereing in some places. I found out that was being caused by wax residue that I had not completely removed. I'm in the process of resanding & removing ALL the old waxes with naptha & maroon scotchbrite pad. I bought more gelcoat and will try again. This time I'll add more catalyst. :susel:

I'm really considering a 150 for the LT. I may have to go with a rebuild but that's what I'm seriously thinking.

yrod1, you lucky dog, finding a gem like that. WTG! I may have to contact you. Have any pics?

• 2 weeks later...

After a week of visiting family up north and then returning to five straight days of work I finally found some time to work on the LT. I applied two coats of gelcoat to the repaired areas on the hull on monday. Things went better than my last attempt at gelcoat. I almost doubled the amount of catalyst this time. I started sanding today in preparation for painting and found that the gelcoat was not 100% cured yet so I backed off of that.

Da***** it's hot out in full sun. The city caught up with me and I had to remove my sun shade. I may have to give up working on the hull until cooler weather sets in (october?) unless I find a place indoors out of the sun.

Time to work on the smaller projects. Guess who's going to be doing a rewire when I flip the hull back over.

P1070428_zpsb9ded136.jpg

Made a new cheese grater today in the shade of my garage. As you can see the old one was worn out.

P1070431_zps7be64cc1.jpg

P1070432_zps73d53bf3.jpg

Next up will be a new switch panel. I'll order the new piece of black acrylic plastic cut to the dimensions of the old one. I'll have to do the cutouts for switches, etc. I'll keep an eye on FLDXT's post first to see how he makes out with his new panel. :)

It's also time to start sanding and buffing my center console. I think I can find some shady area to work on that.

Next up will be a new switch panel. I'll order the new piece of black acrylic plastic cut to the dimensions of the old one. I'll have to do the cutouts for switches, etc. I'll keep an eye on FLDXT's post first to see how he makes out with his new panel. :)

Save yourself the headache and order a pre fabbed switch panel.

Too late. Panel is on its way.

It's also time to start sanding and buffing my center console. I think I can find some shady area to work on that.

Start sanding with a orbital sander and wet sand with 320, 400, 600, 800, 1000,1200 and 1500 sand paper. Once completed, polish off with a premium compound/polishing paste and a vari speed buffer.

Thanks

Squidmo,

Actually at $140 bucks including shipping I did not think that was too awful bad to rewire the whole boat. Now the connectors are a different story although I got the ones with the solder insert and heat shrink.

Reel Loco, where did you buy your wire from? We are at the same point, starting to wire up the console.