98 Hewes LT 18 Rehab

Reel Loco

• 1 month later...

Well, not to be out done by Bever or Squidmotion, Reel Loco rode the LT high & dry on Charlotte Harbor today. Found out she won't run in 4". Knew I was in trouble when I saw the tops of the gr*** bent over. Two of my grandkids will have a good story to tell when they go back north. :) Thank God for SeaTow!

P1080779_zpsa0907727.jpg

RL

LOL, you guys are funny :o:o:o ! I'll know NOT to blast thru there at a .7' tide :crazy:. I definately had alot more throttle left but with two of the grandkids on board I'm hesitant to use more. I'd estimate I hit the bar around 28 to 30 mph. Live & learn. I'll crawl under tommorrow & check how much gelcoat I removed :blush:

RL

CHARTS!????????? I thought they were for the fainthearted (lol). I was actually running a track laid down by a guide friend for rough water days. This was the third or fourth time I've run this same track but totally forgot that low tide was 1/2hr before. Fatal move was attempting to read the water more instead of exactly following the guides track :blush:

Lesson learned: Pay WAY more attention to tide charts when running skinny :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

RL

Gary, just curious but when you insured your boat did you insure for depreciating book value or

Agreed Hull Value?

If Agreed Hull Value, did the insurance company demand a survey and appraisal?

How bad did that rotten sand bar eat the boat of the boat?

I insured with Charter Lakes for Agreed Value without survey or appraisal.

Looked at the bottom this morning & really did not look too bad. Took off some of the gloss but lot less than what I expected to see.

RL

I called the same company and they insisted on a survey and appraisal before they would even give me a quote. :confused:

I ended up insuring with Sea Worthy who gave me a very reasonable rate.

And yes they wanted either a survey or a Declaration of Rebuild, copy of ALL receipts and portfolio as well.

That ***s you ran her aground, but hey its a flats boat its bound to happen. Im glad I found your thread because it was what gave me the courage to restore my flats boat. I plan on finding the first sandbar and running mine over it to get it over with.

Glad to hear my rebuild adventure encouraged you to do yours. Looks like you are moving right along . Hope you enjoy yours as much as I'm loving mine :)

RL

• 3 months later...

Update

Tried out my new to me Stiletto Bay Pro 111 4x17 prop the other day.

Conditions: Light chop, 88deg air temp, 82.5deg water temp, SSE 5-10mph wind, two men(450lbs) loaded for fishing(no cooler or ice) front baitwell full with 25 gals of fuel.

Result: 52mph(gps) @ 5700rpm with jackplate raised two inches and trimmed. Hole shot= on plane in boat lenghth with touch of tabs. 30mph @ 3200rpm. Could not break the prop loose in tight turns. Was not squirly at all at wot unlike the Ultima4 4x19 I had tried previuosly that reached 52mph but scared me with the way it chine walked.

I'll be testing the prop in skinny water friday.

Prop slip calculators say the speed with this pitch is impossible but I'm thinking the cup & progressive pitch may account for that. :)

RL

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Time To make new cushions.

This was the old benchseat backrest cushion. It was so skinny that it offered no support when the backrest was closed and we sat on top.

P1080976_zpsbltr3blz.jpg

Next is the new backrest cushion I made @ 3" thick so it supports the backrest when closed.

P1080977_zpscizrx4qg.jpg

Last but not least is the new top deck cushion I made to replace the old ratty one. Gotta do something on these cold windy days! :)

P1080978_zpsjtjuo94v.jpg

I'll add more pics when I get them installed. Right now the LT is sitting at a friends house in Port Charlotte. North Port made me get the LT out of my driveway (not thrilled about that)

RL }:(