98 Hewes LT 18 Rehab

Reel Loco

Good but windy day on the water. Dropped the motor one hole and borrowed a friends Turbo 4 blade x 19 pitch. Two men, 25gals fuel & livewells empty we did 52mph (GPS) @ 5700rpm. Prop did great. The steering did get a little dicey. Hole shot was in about a boat's length w/full tabs and maybe twice that without (alot of bow rise without tabs). Could not attempt turns as waves were 3-4. Prop did not break loose with motor trimmed all the way out.

Happy with the 19 pitch!

RL

What is the max. RPM for that motor?

Somebody said Turbo Ultima 4 in the past.

The bow rise may be from the setback of the JP.

Trim all the way in and raise the JP a little to see if the nose stays lower on blastoff.

Now the fun begins, fiddlin with the controls, tweaking props, going fast and burning dinosaur juice!!!

Being on the water and catching fish will feel good too!

Gary,

Brave or desperate? Had to be more than a little chop out in Charlotte Harbor today. Did you get the TM batteries installed and test them too?

Bob,

Capt Bart knew where to take her out of the wind & rollers to open her up. Never would have done it out in the open harbor(not today anyway).

TM batteries w/charger are next on my adgenda. Might start that tommorrow. :)

What is the max. RPM for that motor?

Somebody said Turbo Ultima 4 in the past.

The bow rise may be from the setback of the JP.

Trim all the way in and raise the JP a little to see if the nose stays lower on blastoff.

Now the fun begins, fiddlin with the controls, tweaking props, going fast and burning dinosaur juice!!!

Being on the water and catching fish will feel good too!

BR,

WOT range is 5250-5750. We were right at the top end of the range & I beleve it was the Ultima 4.

"The bow rise may be from the setback of the JP.

Trim all the way in and raise the JP a little to see if the nose stays lower on blastoff." I'll give that a try when I pick up a 19 pitch of my own( may be awhile before I can do that. For now Ill run the 17 pitch).

I'm hoping the wife can land the first fish on her. She certainly deserves to after three yrs of waiting!

RL

There are a few Turbo 4 blade models.

The Ultima has good bow and stern lift, good overall lift.

The turbo flats model has more stern lift i think.

Get the TM. and batteries on it. The TM will effect the bowlift some at speed. TM. and batts. will drop the RPMs a little.

Get the TM on it and see the difference then prop selection begins.

Sounds like you have plenty of motor.

Wives will outfish you!!!

My wifes first Redfish was 46 to 48" long buts thats another story.

There are a few Turbo 4 blade models.

The Ultima has good bow and stern lift, good overall lift.

The turbo flats model has more stern lift i think.

Get the TM. and batteries on it. The TM will effect the bowlift some at speed. TM. and batts. will drop the RPMs a little.

Get the TM on it and see the difference then prop selection begins.

Sounds like you have plenty of motor.

Wives will outfish you!!!

My wifes first Redfish was 46 to 48" long buts thats another story.

It was an Ultima 4 I was trying yesterday. The trolling motor is already installed and I'm in the middle of installing the TM batteries today. Had to take a break and get something in my stomach. I was sick as a dog last night. I don't usually stop for lunch but I thought I'd better stop. :(

• 2 weeks later...
Fantastic job on that boat!

Thanks Steve! I'm really happy the way this project turned out. :content:

The wife, myself & Capt Bart gave the LT her first fishing trip wednesday. Needed to slime up the decks!

Not exactly a 46" redfish but officially the first keeper fish to come across her gunnels! (won't mention the first fish brought to her side was a stinkin hardhead catfish :susel: )

IMG_3901_zps11c8f824.jpg

Catch for the day

IMG_3936_zpsa486ab04.jpg

Dinner was delicious last night! Have to find Boca Dave & see where he's haulin in all these reds & snook :)

Still tweaking the LT little by little. The 740s performed great on the flats with the routes I created on google earth & transferred to the Garmin via Homeport. Til later

RL

• Like 1

When are we going to start buying and trying Props???

Let's see. Christmas (16 grandkids), car insurance, homeowners ins., motorcycle ins., and about three thousand of electronics, rigging, etc to pay off on CC between this and next month. I think we'll hold off on a new prop search until ,say......, February?!!!:)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Reel Loco has been too busy lately either fishing or working on the "honey do list" to be able to work on the LT. That has changed with the upcoming Spring Get Together. That has motivated me to finish loose ends. Yesterday I took care of some loose connectors on my switch panel & added four more screws to the panel itself to keep water from working it's way between the panel & center console. Late yesterday & today I installed the gunnel carpeting.

Installing carpet

P1080719_zpsf0fb9315.jpg

Decided to go with snaps vs adhesive.

P1080725_zpse7d3cd6f.jpg

Finished product

P1080722_zpsd25e17fb.jpg

Back to fishing!!! :)

RL