98 Hewes LT 18 Rehab

Reel Loco

RL,

On your trim switch, I would think about moving your trim switch for your jack plate to the other side (180 degrees). That way you can throttle and use the engine trim with one hand and use the other hand for the jack plate.

I looked at doing that the other day but the way the switch bracket is made I don't think I can rotate it 180 because the bracket has a cutout for the helm fill cap. I'll check it out again tommorrow because I do agree it would be better on the port side. Thanks guys.

RL

RL,

Let me get this straight....you rebuilt this boat and made it better all around and you are telling me that you can't move that little old stalk to the other side????? LOL

HAHAHA, yeah right? Didn't look at it that way. I did check out TH Marine this morning and they sell an ambidextrous switch. Like Oldsalt says "hey, it's only another hundred bucks"! :susel:

RL

While you are spending money, i have found a very good br*** anti-siphon valve made by OMC.

Works much better and longer than the aluminum ones.

Don't want to lean out that motor.

It's less than 20 bucks, very cheap for a boat part!

Hey BR,

Are you gonna give up the part# & where you got it?

Thanks,

RL

Now you are questioning my memory and record keeping skills!!!

It is a OMC/ Johnson/ Evinrude branded part.

My Yamaha dealer had them. He has found they are the best, long lasting with no issues.

Try a Johnnyrude dealer.

The br*** ones seem to work smoother.

From my cardboard box/file system i found a recept, the part # 00765654 3/8"

No idea if that is actual part# or their billing control #

• 2 weeks later...
Mr. Reel Loco...up-date! Did you wet test? Battery tray is in my truck. Second TM battery in Wednesday.

Bob,

It was a Great day on the water (vs in my driveway)!!! I finally splashed the LT today around 1pm at the Charlotte Harbor Beach complex on the Charlotte Harbor. To say things went well would be an understatement! After 3yrs and two months my stomach was in knots hoping everything would go well. The ProXS performed flawlessly.

At Fisherman's Village Marina

P1080529_zpsc883aaa6.jpg

I did expect to see more speed at WOT (48.1mph @ 5600rpm) but one of my crew reminded me that the three of us together went 705 lbs and there were 30 gals of fuel aboard. The harbor was flat. I was spinning a 14.5 x 17 pitch four blade by Turning Point props. The hole shot without trim tabs was good and it was super with some tabs. I need to drop the motor one hole as the motor could not be trimmed much even with the jackplate all the way down without breaking loose.

My crew (Cape Coral Bob & Capt Bart Marxx of Alpha Omega Charters)

P1080536_zpsdb31f8dc.jpg

The hydraulic steering was punky and needs some more bleeding. There is still a small leak at the hose connection to the livewell pump and my trim tabs port to starboard are operating backwards. Bow up & bow down are fine.

The hole shot didn't seem much different with or without the livewell & baitwell filled.

After some tweaking this LT is gonna be ready for some fish slime :susel: :susel: :susel:

P1080545_zpse752fa96.jpg

Guess I'm gonna have to make some changes to my signature & Avatar :content:

Hope your day went as well as mine!

RL

Yes sir! Beautiful to see her rigged and under power. A little tweaking of the prop and engine mount and we need to go fishing. I am going to Burris on Thursday. I could meet you there with the battery and tray. BTW Burris is a Powertech dealer and has Marcus on speed dial.

Had to be a strange feeling to be on the customer side of the Fisherman's Village dock. :)

Thank you all for the kind words! I just sent a check to Charter Lakes (read of them on the forum) for my insurance. I took their quote to my insurance guy and he could not come close to what they offer and suggested I buy from Charter Lakes!

Bled some air out of my helm, found that my livewell pump housing was cracked (old style Rule) and am going to replace with the tournament style.

I ordered the lifting eye and adapter for dropping the motor. That should arrive by the weekend. Meanwhile I'm studying the Garmin 740s.

Oldsalt has my second troller battery & battery tray so rigging them will be the next project.

RL

The 740s is a great unit and on sale.

Get some H5606 hydroholic fluid of the steering. It is the same spec. as seastar and factory approved. It is aviation fluid and has red dye for leak detection. Much cheaper than Seastar.

Now we need to get a prop on that thing so it will jump out the hole and fly!!!

With the right prop you will be on the fish 5 minutes before they hear you coming.

Get some slime on her!

The 740s is a great unit and on sale.

Get some H5606 hydroholic fluid of the steering. It is the same spec. as seastar and factory approved. It is aviation fluid and has red dye for leak detection. Much cheaper than Seastar.

Now we need to get a prop on that thing so it will jump out the hole and fly!!!

With the right prop you will be on the fish 5 minutes before they hear you coming.

Get some slime on her!

BR,

Thanks for the heads up on the steering fluid. The Seastar fluid is expensive. Any idea who carries the H5606?

I have another four blade x 19 pitch prop to try out. The 17 pitch did great for holeshot but was blowing out at WOT when trimming. Gonna try the 19 pitch on Monday. Bought a lifting eye and adapter in case I need to drop the motor.

Had to work on the tow vehicle today as I had a RF brake cylinder hanging up. Good I checked as I was missing one lugnut & the other four were only finger tight! This truck is history in another 8-10 mos.

Soon as I get this tweaking done I'll be sliming her up. Promised the first fishing trip to the wife (my momma didn't raise any dummies :) ).

Oldsalt is welcome to come along or he can go on the second trip (his choice).