98 Hewes LT 18 Rehab

Reel Loco

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement to "get er done"!!!

Reel Loco has been plenty busy ordering all the rigging (contol box, control cables, oil lines, safety switch, key switch & harness, smartcraft system monitor). Those,along with a new battery, should get the boat on the water.

I took a long hard look at the gauge options (digital)available thru Mercury. I actually was leaning towards no gauges and going with a "gateway system that converts engine data to NEMA 2000" that would be displayed on the GPS/Sounder combo. It would require a backbone be in place with the GPS/Sounder unit. I studied what I would gain over the cheapest option (system monitor) and found I was only gaining one piece of data (remote oil tank data) that does not display on the system monitor. I could not justify the added expense as the merc has a reserve oil tank that alarms when that level starts dropping.

Oh, and yes Steve, adding labor costs to the LT would definitely put it "over the top" value wise! :)

With the jack plate you need a water pressure gauge.

It is handy to have, it gives you a general idea of cooling system health.

Gauges are information, more is better.

The System Monitor I ordered gives the following info: RPM, Engine alarms, speed and sea temp, oil temp, oil pressure, battery voltage, depth, water pressure, coolant temp, coolant pressure, engine hrs, trim pop-up, engine trim, fuel used, fuel flow, & fuel range. Not all of these are applicable to the two stroke and some might require additional equipment or be redundant with a GPS/Sounder combo. Only drawback I could see is the unit only displays one function at a time.

The water pressure function is the only one I considered I would want to be able to see at a glance without scrolling to find it. I might have to add that gauge once I see how the system monitor performs.

I'm also considering the Garmin 740s as my GPS/Sounder unit and thinking I would want to flush mount it so I'm trying to save real estate on the face of the console.

Good point on the grounding of the fuel tank.I returned my wiring to the factory configuration which included the above.

Thanks for the input :content:

RL

Batteries and battery tray will be ready when you are. Any leaks in the splash test?

Goods news on the batteries. Thanks :)

Splash test went well. No leaks that I could find. Tried out the livewell pump and did find a leak where the hose attaches to the outlet side of pump. I have to check that out today.

Yesterday I received the system monitor along with the oil hose. Today I'll be receiving the top mount binnacle control. Tommorrow, the key switch & engine harness (and safety switch w/lanyard) should arrive. Thursday I should get the onboard charger and control/shift cables.

Yesterday I picked up a Garmin 740s & ordered a BlueChartg2 Vision card to go with it. Did I forget anything? Oh, I did forget a power pole, but I think that's going to have to wait til next Christmas!! Anyone have a lonely stickit needing a new home...?

Needless to say I'll be busy on the LT for awhile :):):)

RL

You need a 10' Blade on the back.

No stinkin anchor rode going in that clean hull!!!

Get that black motor spinning so you can buy a few props to play with.

I recommend having 4 so you have a choice.

2 3blades and 2 4blades that way you have a spare. :susel:

BR,

I like your thinking!!! But I'm not sure if you p***ed math in school (LOL LOL LOL) No wonder your garage is full of props!

It's looking alot like Christmas at Reel Loco's! FedEx and UPS are arriving daily with new goodies. I challenge Mrs. Loco to tell me "you don't have enough fishing equipment" again (LOL)

What a wonderful wife!!!

P1080511_zpsf7e57373.jpg

RL

If you have a spare your primary will never break!

If you disagree take take the spare tire out of your car and see how long it takes to have a flat!

I have tried this theory and found it to be true.

Math and logic are relative.

Just bought a reel at a good price. Now i can have a custom rod built instead of an off the rack one.

Logical, maybe but you can't put a price on happiness and i am happy.

Happiness is healthy, money not spent on doctors can be used for fishing. Fishing makes me happy so we have come full circle.

What could be wrong with that? :susel:

My 3 blades are for my need for speed.

The 4 blades are for my wife, she likes slower, better handling and grip in the turns running up the creek.

Had to buy the 4 blades for her. She liked the ride and said i spent her money wisely.

"I" do not have a fishing problem.

Early boat christmas presents = happy

you are living right!!!

If you have a spare your primary will never break!

If you disagree take take the spare tire out of your car and see how long it takes to have a flat!

I have tried this theory and found it to be true.

Math and logic are relative.

Just bought a reel at a good price. Now i can have a custom rod built instead of an off the rack one.

Logical, maybe but you can't put a price on happiness and i am happy.

Happiness is healthy, money not spent on doctors can be used for fishing. Fishing makes me happy so we have come full circle.

What could be wrong with that? :susel:

My 3 blades are for my need for speed.

The 4 blades are for my wife, she likes slower, better handling and grip in the turns running up the creek.

Had to buy the 4 blades for her. She liked the ride and said i spent her money wisely.

"I" do not have a fishing problem.

Early boat christmas presents = happy

you are living right!!!

Reel Loco could not agree more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (LOL)

Installed new fuel line from seperator to engine including new priming bulb (went for the expensive one).

In middle of cutting out the dash to install the control module(measure twice/cut once method).

Reel Loco IS happy :):):)

RL