98 Hewes LT 18 Rehab

Reel Loco

Finished the bilge wiring today. I left extra wiring coiled up for future repairs/pump replacements. I still need to mount the battery switch in the rigging compartment and attach the battery & fuse holders for the bilge pump & fuse block. Only thing left will be to wire the all around light when I get the poling platform done.

P1080457_zps88cde7e8.jpg

RL

I would use the biggest rim you can get, less revolutions, less heat, faster speeds. If I ever am lucky enough to get a trailer new, I will not have anything under 15", *** doing 65 everywhere.

Thanks buddy! :) When you starting your rebuild...?

Ahhh! Rough subject. I have my first little one due in November and a move to N. FL after the first. So basically in the next 6 mths I have to have my first child, sell my first house, move across the state, start another job, and buy my second house...let's just say it's gonna be a minute. It IS going to happen, I have been drawing some stuff up what I want to do, I imagine I will be picking your brain quite a bit when the time comes.

Bilge wiring looks great! I can't wait to see that thing screaming!

I would use the biggest rim you can get, less revolutions, less heat, faster speeds. If I ever am lucky enough to get a trailer new, I will not have anything under 15", *** doing 65 everywhere.

Thanks buddy! :) When you starting your rebuild...?

Ahhh! Rough subject. I have my first little one due in November and a move to N. FL after the first. So basically in the next 6 mths I have to have my first child, sell my first house, move across the state, start another job, and buy my second house...let's just say it's gonna be a minute. It IS going to happen, I have been drawing some stuff up what I want to do, I imagine I will be picking your brain quite a bit when the time comes.

Bilge wiring looks great! I can't wait to see that thing screaming!

OMG, That's five major life events in the next six mos.!!!!!!! You must have nerves of steel! I can only wish you alot of luck with all those new adventures & congratulations on the soon to come baby :)

I'll be more than happy to help out however I can when you decide to rebuild her.

RL

Reel Loco, thx, my nerves are shot to heck and I can barely sleep.

I have decided to rebuild her, no question about it. There will have to be some life changing event for me ever to get rid of this boat. I plan on my daughter and her friends, none of the male persuasion using this boat in the future.

I'm looking into some type of storage solution for my motor during the rebuild, still haven't figured that out yet.

Reel Loco, thx, my nerves are shot to heck and I can barely sleep.

I can only imagine. No wonder you can't sleep! What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger! And more thankful for what we have. Hang in there!

New running gear ; spindles, hubs, wheels & tires plus a spare.

P1080459_zpsb70a68d1.jpg

Oldsalt helped me pickem out.

RL

• 1 month later...
this entire project was very interesting to me. I just purchased a 97 bayfisher that is in great shape, but I was intrigued by the detail and amount of work you put into your beautiful new boat.... great project. mike

Thank you Mike. Glad you enjoyed the rebuild. It was the type of project that evolved from doing some repairs and touching up the paint to a complete overhaul. I'm extremely happy with the outcome. :)

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the purchase of your bayfisher. I'll be posting more pics soon as I've done more upgrades to the trailer. Definitely thinking of a splash party when she's 100%!!!

RL

Today was a "lets change out those rusty u-bolts on the front bunk supports" and replace them with SS u-bolts. This was the last project for the trailer that I could see. Was I in for a surprize!

While crawling under the side rails I noticed rust on the bottom of the tongue tube steel where it attached to the first trailer crossmember. I was able to put a hole in the tube steel with my finger. I'm so glad I found this before rocketing down Rte 75 at 65mph and have the tongue seperate from the trailer. The trailer is a 2005 Rocket.

Trailer tongue removed from the trailer.

P1080475_zps10cffb41.jpg

This bucket of rust came out of the tongue after removal. It was disintegrating from the inside out!

P1080473_zps9d105f4e.jpg

Hopefully I can get a new piece of tube steel tomorrow and get this trailer back together! :susel:

RL

Now you know what I meant, Gary! Start with one little fix or up grade and find two or three things that need attention.

Like today, I had a professional spider monkey install my new bilge pump. While he was in there he found that both of my trim tab connectors were shot. No big deal, but if I do need them, I would like the option. I have had the boat for seven years and probably used the tabs three times. And, I had to replace the anchor/nav switch on the console too!

Good thing I work at a marine and tackle store :)

Now you know what I meant, Gary! Start with one little fix or up grade and find two or three things that need attention.

Like today, I had a professional spider monkey install my new bilge pump. While he was in there he found that both of my trim tab connectors were shot. No big deal, but if I do need them, I would like the option. I have had the boat for seven years and probably used the tabs three times. And, I had to replace the anchor/nav switch on the console too!

Good thing I work at a marine and tackle store :)

Bob,

You are 100% correct! I'm just hoping I've found all that can go wrong for the moment anyway. Glad to hear you got the bilge pump fixed.

The tongue and the axel beam are all the galvanized that remains on mine. And the axel is new. Hope the tongue lasts.

Mine was done at the Continental Trailer place in N. Cape Coral. Used 3x3 aluminum stock for the other cross members.

Good catch!

Steve

Steve,

I have one more item than you that is still galvanized and that's the staunchion that holds my winch and spare tire carrier. And I had to have that re-welded as it had a crack just above the weld on one side. Of all the things I've caught on that trailer this was the most likely to end with disastrous results!

....I had a professional spider monkey install my new bilge pump. While he was in there he found that both of my trim tab connectors were shot......

dang, i was wondering where he was... can you please mail him back to me?

please be sure to punch a few holes in the box, and throw in a cup full of dog kibble and a pack of camels.

....I had a professional spider monkey install my new bilge pump. While he was in there he found that both of my trim tab connectors were shot......

dang, i was wondering where he was... can you please mail him back to me?

please be sure to punch a few holes in the box, and throw in a cup full of dog kibble and a pack of camels.

NO WAY you're gettin him back BUSTER!!! :) :susel:

• 4 weeks later...