98 Hewes LT 18 Rehab

Reel Loco

Hey eveyone. This is my first post to the forum. I've enjoyed watching from the sidelines. The folks on this forum really try to help one another. A little over a year ago I decided I wanted to try my hand at a project flats boat. I had followed a thread on The Hull Truth forum in which a guy cut the stern end off his boat & added 5ft to it with all new stringers etc. I had no prior experience with fibergl*** or boat construction. I found many helpful websites dedicated to both. Sooooo, here I am a little over a year into my flats boat project!

I found a 1998 Hewes Light Tackle 18 in St Petersburg. I purchased the boat without the motor as I wanted to possibly rig it with a new or almost new motor. I suspected there was going to be some hull damage to the boat. The seller stated that there had been some hull damage but that it had been repaired. Wait til you see the photos! The floor also felt spongy in spots but hey this was supposed to be a project boat.

A short time after purchasing the boat I made the trip to Ft. Pierce to tour the Maverick factory. We were given an impressive tour by Charley Johnson and took alot of notes as I had zero experience at repairing boats. Charley and the factory folks took the time to answer all my questions and offer their insite on how to proceed. Thanks again Charley & company!

Well, I hope you enjoy the photos and the adventure I've been on. I hope someone else can benefit from this post as I have benefited from following this forum. I still have a long way to go before splashing the LT but at least I can see the light at the end of the tunnel!

1st photo: Lt with the top removed

2nd photo: Lt before I bought it

3rd,4th&5th photos: Photos I took thru an access panel that had been installed in the floor next to the center console. These photos show seperation of the cross members to the hull and stringer to the hull. These photos convinced me that the floor needed to come out.

6th photo: LT with the floor cut out. Notice all the foam, foam board, etc that someone stuffed under that floor.

7th photo: Someone cut the botton out of the port forward storage compartment and poured foam over the forward end of the port stringer. Only problem is the liquid foam got between the stringer and hull and literly tore the stringer loose from the hull.

8th&9th photos: damage done to the stingers from pouring the liquid foam thru the storage compartment.

!0th photo: A glob of rubber that I pulled from between the front of the port stringer and the hull. I found everything except the kitchen sink in there!!!

Well,enough for tonight. I need to figure out how to put the text between the photos.

Loco

1314828145-P1040183.JPG.087548b53289fb35

1314827965-P1040171.JPG.3699eeb163bc4e64

1314827941-P1040170.JPG.0342abbea0526f91

1314827674-P1040172.JPG.bf5dcd00e29ccb33

1314827394-P1040157.JPG.46d60d4084e9a50b

1314827186-P1040145.JPG.74c54c0e92cec826

1314827174-P1040143.JPG.09a0c07326587855

1314827167-P1040142.JPG.b8f38d363dd5fd2f

1314826530-Hews_Light_Tackle_2.jpg.fc5b3

1314826027-P1050049.JPG.409c621eb1488e15

Very ambitious project, but you will have a first cl*** flats boat. My son is trying to convince me to get a project flats boat to build or rebuild. I have two sons that are flats rats. One used to live in St. Johns and spent all his free time in the Mosquito Lagoon. They love the ride of my MMA 21 but, keep trying to make it go in 6" of water :content:

Keep the picture coming we all learn from each other and there are a couple of members who are doing pretty much what you are doing. Crawfish's rebuild is amazing.

Thanks for the pictures and welcome!

Thanks, Oldsalt, for the encouragement. I've learned alot about boats and fibergl*** in the past year. I really enjoy the challenge.

Might see you sometime as my friend Bob and I put in at the county ramp at Bokeelia once in a while. Something told me you had a Hewes flats boat and I thoght maybe the one sitting on davits at the end of the canal might be yours.

Loco

No, I live near the turn of to Pineland. I keep my Maverick on a trailer. I have seen the boat you are refer to. There is one on a lift on Buccaneer too!

There is a new boat gl*** repair place on Pine Island road about a mile east of Matlacha. I don't know if they sell supplies, or give advice, but it may be worth the stop to see.

Good Luck! here is my ride.

1314833990-Maverick_makeover_2011_1_001_

Sweeeeet ride Oldsalt! Bob and I use the Pineland Marina also. We like to fish that area.Is that a Michigan plate on your trailer?

My LT is alot further along than the pics I posted indicate. I'll be posting more pics but I need ti figure out how to insert text between the photos. Any ideas on that? Hey, I checked out Crawfishes restoration job. I was impressed with his work and knowledge.

Loco

Hey Crawfish,

I was admiring the work you've done on your LT. I was really impressed with your console work. I started gl***ing in all the old holes on mine but it got too hot out to suit up and grind. So, I just finished making new seat cushions. I never did that kind of work before but they came out beautiful. I got the material at the marine surplus in Sarasota by the airport. I have about $45.00 in that part of the project. Same goes for you. Nothing like a beer after fishing or fixin the boat! Are you taking the top off yourself or did you farm that out? I'm fussy as hell myself. That's why I do most of the work myself.

Loco

Very ambitious project, but you will have a first cl*** flats boat. My son is trying to convince me to get a project flats boat to build or rebuild. I have two sons that are flats rats. One used to live in St. Johns and spent all his free time in the Mosquito Lagoon. They love the ride of my MMA 21 but, keep trying to make it go in 6" of water :content:

Keep the picture coming we all learn from each other and there are a couple of members who are doing pretty much what you are doing. Crawfish's rebuild is amazing.

Thanks for the pictures and welcome!

Reel Loco,

Sounds like you and Crawfish are close enough to help each other and compare notes, over a good cold one.

My sons, the fishing ones, both live in Michigan. All of them (4), fish but, two are certifiable. They will be down this fall at some point.

Get those boats in the water by Spring and I'll show you where the Tarpon hang out when there not in Boca Grande.

Hi Gary,

Thanks for sharing those pic's -

A coupe of questions for you

- Was it much trouble getting the cap off your hull ? ie was the job a lot more than removing the outboard, wiring, controls, console etc, remove the rubrail and screws and then pry the cap off ?

- Is there any reason you cut the floor out and then removed the cap ? or was it a case of cutting the floor out and seeing what was there and then deciding the remove the cap ?

- what are the two pipes in the 6th pic ? are they the drains for the front to coolers/compartments ?

Thanks for your time.

Snelly

Hi Gary,

Thanks for sharing those pic's -

A coupe of questions for you

- Was it much trouble getting the cap off your hull ? ie was the job a lot more than removing the outboard, wiring, controls, console etc, remove the rubrail and screws and then pry the cap off ?

- Is there any reason you cut the floor out and then removed the cap ? or was it a case of cutting the floor out and seeing what was there and then deciding the remove the cap ?

- what are the two pipes in the 6th pic ? are they the drains for the front to coolers/compartments ?

Thanks for your time.

Snelly

Snelly,

Removing the cap was not as dificult as I had anticipated. After removing the floor I could see that maybe 75% of the stringers and cross supports had broken loose from the hull. The motor and controls had been removed by the PO. The center comsole was removed before cutting out the floor. It was a matter of removing the rub rail and screws holding the cap on. Using a 1 1/2 wide putty knife I worked the knife between the cap and hull the entire way around. The factory must have used 4200 vs 5200 as it was still pliable. I had to make a grinder cut between the deck and transom as the deck area between the livewell and battery compartment were one solid peice. I have not seen this configuration on any other LTs I have seen. I'm not sure if it came from the factory as such or was modified later. The area I cut can be seen in the photo just above where the jack plate had been. Also in the photo you can see 2x6 lumber that I inserted between the trailer and hull to give it support once the cap was removed I used ratcheting straps to keep the sides from bowing out. Stretching a string line from one end of the 2x6s to the other I used wedges to keep the chines nice and straight while I worked on the stringers.

Picture #6 does show drains from the forward cooler compartments that drain into the bilge compartment. I've converted the starboard cooler compartment into a livewell for shrimp as you'll see in posts to come. Hope this answers your questions.

Loco

Oh, I also had to remove the two pvc garboard drains and the pvc livewell drain before removing the cap.

1314882563-P1050037.JPG.68bd326548fabbfb

Reel Loco,

I know this suggestionis early in your process, but I may foget and you may not think of it. Your conversion of one hatch to an additional baitwell made me think of it. If you want to have lights in the hatches and/or bait wells, you have the perfect opprotunity to reach those almost impossible areas with the cap off. I just put oznium 4chip LEDs in my console and am going to add some to the hatches and wells. Some can be reached relatively painlessly, but the stern ones are going to require a skinny, midget that can fit through the access or JG's trained spider monkey. The lights are cheap at $4.00 each and come in white, blue, red and green. They use almost no power and are only 3/8 diameter, and yes they are "waterproof".

Even if you don't fish at night, they come in real handy. I usually set my boat up the night before and then double check things before heading out in the morning. Allot of the year this is before sun up and poking through my hatches with a flash light in my mouth is a pain.

Your welcome. While I don't envy you your job of a total rebuild, now is the time to put in anything you may need, want up dated or install some extra wires for things you haven't thought of yet!

Stereo? Speakers, a bow mounted fish finder, poling platform light, new battery selector under the console, etc.

More pictures, please :content:

Picture after removing the fuel tank.Note condition of the fuel tank supports.

[lightbox]http://www.mbcforum.com/fbbuploads/med_1314918537-P1040178.JPG[/lightbox]

Pic of the rear fuel tank support which appeared to have been repaired at some point.

[lightbox]http://www.mbcforum.com/fbbuploads/med_1314918815-P1040179.JPG[/lightbox]

Photo of the next fuel tank support broken in half

[lightbox]http://www.mbcforum.com/fbbuploads/med_1314920962-P1040181.JPG[/lightbox]

Picture of the same fuel tank support showing the forward end of the port stringer seperated from the hull. This is where I dug out the blob of rubber! Just beyond is the front fuel tank support broken loose from the hull on the port side.

[lightbox]http://www.mbcforum.com/fbbuploads/med_1314921022-P1040182.JPG[/lightbox]

Your welcome. While I don't envy you your job of a total rebuild, now is the time to put in anything you may need, want up dated or install some extra wires for things you haven't thought of yet!

Stereo? Speakers, a bow mounted fish finder, poling platform light, new battery selector under the console, etc.

Pictures on the WAY! I'll keep all your suggestion in mind Oldsalt. Now is the time to plan for all those things as the pocketbook allows.

Thanks again

Don't get greedy Oldman, I mean Oldsalt, there in the mail. LOL

Hey, atleast you said please.

Fret not, RL is in good hands, we will be bashing brains soon to see what we can do to the ole LT to make him a happy camper.

I have a m***ive link collection for just about everything he could possibly want or desire to finish her off.

Crawfish you are one crazy dude!! That list you sent is AWESOME! I finally figured out how to get text with every photo. Good we had a slow day at work so I could work on it. I'd post more pics tonight but I am exhausted and have to be up early. Later

Loco

What tank supports :( Before you lift that cap have a port to starboard support ready for the hull. The cap is the only thing holding that hull together. Those pictures should be displayed next to the expanding foam in all stores. That stuff has always scared me for just this reason.

Good luck!

I will keep looking for your up dates.