'04 HPX 18 shark eye lights

SthurmanFW

Experts,

I had a shark eye light fall out, no idea where it is(bottom of the bay somewhere), the main missing piece is the colored globe cover but I'm not sure even if I had that the whole thing would go back together. The bulb and base are still intact and wired up

Any tips on replacing? where to get parts etc? I tried a "dealer" in TX as they have to order from Maverick I think but nothing has happened for awhile now.

Boat is a 2004 HPX 18

thanks

7 hours ago, whichwaysup said:

Hurricane did you do yours?   Was the link above the right size?  (Sorry OP for hijacking, I can take this offline if needed).

Yes. Those appear to be the same ones I used. Everything was the same, fit prefect same screw holes. I just sliced the wires chalked the opening and screwed then in.  They are super bright.

• 3 weeks later...

Just when you thought this thread was dead

so I have searched and searched and ordered multiple lights including (supposedly) what Maverick recommended through a certified dealer...and NOT ONE fits the old screw holes. So I'm cool with tinkering here and there and I know it's way up on the sides of the boat and no where near the waterline...but...drilling a hole in something that is built to float makes me nervous, even if just a little.

but I see no other option at this point

so

what do you guys recommend for a)drilling(standard bit etc) b) screws(nut and bolt or the self tapping type that were in there) and c) best/safest sealant

thanks again

The good news is you probably only have to drill one hole per side, I'm assuming one hole will match up with the light. This is really easy stuff here. Assuming it's a #8 screw, the pilot hole for a #8 screw is 1/8" per below link. Use a counter sink to take off the edge on the gel coat, 5200 or 4200 the screws and the back of the light and screw in place. Clean any excess 5200 with xylene and let cure.

https://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-information/Wood-Screws/Wood-Screw-Pilot-Hole-Size.aspx

When I had to drill a  3 1/2" hole through my hull to mount my flush mount transducer that's when you get real "pucker power"!! O.o

If you are still worried check out some youtube videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxCTUf6izPk

Archived