2000 hpxt refurb

SaltySouth

Looking for info to help with my new to me hpxt.  I'm planning on a rewire, topside paint, new nonskid, new rubrail, and different push pole holders!

Is there anything I am leaving out?  Or anything I need to know about before I start?  All opinions welcome.  

How should I go about seadeking the under gunnels?  The liner is cut right above the floor and the under gunnels right now are bare Kevlar.  There is about an 1/8th of an inch difference between the Kevlar and the liner.

Thank you for your wisdom!

I had a 2000 HPX-T that I bought new back then. Used it for seven years. They're bad to take on water through the seals under the rub rail, especially back toward the stern. Those rails can be underwater at time when you're running, especially if you trim the boat to one side or the other to lessen the effect of a chop. When you remove the rub rail, inspect the seams carefully to make sure there are no gaps in the connection. Seal everything very thoroughly before installing the new rub rail.

Hope you enjoy your "new" boat.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have sanded and sanded and sanded.  Still more sanding to come, but I am getting close.  As I tried removing the rub rail, about 60% or the gelcoat came with it (and small amounts of glass).  I sanded it down, mixed up some gelcoat with cabosil and filled all the voids to help seal the glass.  Unfortunately the gelcoat did not harden 100% so I had to scrape off the excess and then sand smooth.  That's all for now!

image.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

A recommendation while you have this apart, something I've been trying to figure on my 17MA, you may want to see if there is anyway you can make it so the fuel tank is easier to get in and out if the need arrises to replace. It would stink to do all thay work then have to cut the deck to replace a fuel tank.

42 minutes ago, whichwaysup said:

Nice work!  Love watching these rebuild threads!  Thanks for taking the time to post up the pics and keep us informed!  Can definitely help in your resale, too!

LOL

the value can go nowhere but up from where he's at now.....

Great thread...you'll have a vessel that 100% yours by the end...enjoy the process...

dc

Thanks gents!

FLDXT, I thought the same thing.  My conclusion is that since I run short distances with that little 50; if the tank goes I will flush it, chop it up, and go to a smaller tank.  Possibly even two removable tanks in the bow. 

Has anyone gone that route yet?

11 hours ago, SaltySouth said:

Thanks gents!

FLDXT, I thought the same thing.  My conclusion is that since I run short distances with that little 50; if the tank goes I will flush it, chop it up, and go to a smaller tank.  Possibly even two removable tanks in the bow. 

Has anyone gone that route yet?

Not a bad idea at all, practical solution.  I believe I read somewhere that the Bahamian guide boats prefer the removable tanks due to the gas stations being in the city center versus the lodges being in remote areas so a removable tank is easier to pull and fill rather than loading up the skiff or transporting several gas cans.  

• 2 weeks later...

Salty South,

I've found that using fresh MEKP hardener from a reliable source is a necessity when doing glass work. Since my MEKP spends it's life

in a hot garage here in Miami, I put a date on the container and never use any MEKP that I've had for more than 60 days. MEKP is a lot

cheaper than my time, and I've eliminated the problem of glass/gel-coat not setting properly by doing this.

Hawg

Well, I have one more round of fairing to do before she goes to primer.  The charter schedule has been nuts so my progress has slowed significantly.  I'm hoping my buddy can shoot some primer this week and then see what's up. I did order a new rubrail that may be a little small.  So it's either do more prep work or send it back again and get the 1.5" rail.  

Hawg,

Great thinking.  You are right.  Hardener is cheaper than our time.  For now on I will put a date on that stuff!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived