18MA Upfit and few questions

palmetto1

OK ,finally got the boat out on the water after adding an Ipilot, Simrad GO9, stereo, rod holders, TM batts back to front, new cushion (found in local upholstery shop already made!) and some misc repairs and maintenance items.  Boat is sweet!

Questions:

1) Anyone use transom tie down on yours on the trailer?

2) Where do I get the short little bungees for the rod box to hold rods?

3) Had not noticed but there is only a popup cleat in the front for tying boat to dock. Tie up rear to platform leg?  What about bumpers?

4) Porpoising - get a little porpoise at mid to high speed but tabs knock it down quickly.  Same for others?

IMG_4511.JPG

IMG_4513.JPG

IMG_4514.JPG

IMG_4515.JPG

Dang,,,,,,,your boat looks great!

1) Anyone use transom tie down on yours on the trailer?

I use the Boat Buckles. 

2) Where do I get the short little bungees for the rod box to hold rods?

I took out the rod racks in the locker. I found it too hard to put in and take out rods. I put all my life jackets and umbrellas in there. I would assume you could make them with some small bungee cord. My local boat house sells bungee cord by the foot.

3) Had not noticed but there is only a popup cleat in the front for tying boat to dock. Tie up rear to platform leg?  What about bumpers?

I use the the platform, I have a 6ish ft rope with eyes on both ends, and it just hangs on the platform all the time. 

4) Porpoising - get a little porpoise at mid to high speed but tabs knock it down quickly.  Same for others?

I get some when I have more than just me on the boat sitting on the back, and little tab stops it. I think its just the result of that much weight that far back. What prop are you running? I have a Power Tech OFS19 3 blade. Been a great prop, has a few dings could stand a rework. 

Yeah I bet I could make the bungees with bungee cord and some kind of crimped ring on the ends.

Running the Yamaha 19M I think.  Not great.  48mph at 5500.  From what others have said can do better than that.  Going to track midrange numbers and then put out there for y'alls thoughts.

Good looking boat!

- Boat Buckles as stated above works great.

- I made new rod locker bungee straps at West Marine.  They have the hardware and crimping tool to make them in store

- Needed a few more cleats and added 2 pop ups mid ship in front of the rod lockers

- my 21 needs a touch of tabs most of the time to keep her settled down.  I think a 4 blade would fix this but I like the performance of the 3 blade

Palmetto 

DROOL.  

You have a good looking MA.  You make me think dirty thoughts.  I love my fighting lady yellow, but MAN that blue/green is a head turner!

And you should be getting mid-50 MPH with that set up - that's what I'm getting on mine.  Don't ask me what prop I have though, I would have to take it off to find out.  

I don't use boat buckles, but need to.

I do porpoise a little as Hurricane said at low-to-mid range throttle, never at higher end RPM.

Same as Hurricane on using the rope on the platform, though I don't leave mine on there.  

UNLIKE Hurricane, I do use the heck out of my rod locker for rods.  I find that if you turn half of them backwards - reel end towards the bow - you can get a LOT of rods in that little space and the reel handles don't get in the way.

Looking good

I have an 18 MA that I am just about to finish with some major repairs and upgrades.

I used to run a 130 Yamaha and almost never porpoised. That's one of the things that I really loved about the boat. I added a 150 XS Pro and JP with 6 inch set back. Now I need a couple of degrees of tab pretty much all the time.

I started out with a 21 laser on the new 150 and was getting 49 and only 5600rpm. It was real slow out of the hole. I was just out with my new power tech 19 4 blade and had some significant improved performance. 52 mph at 6000 rpm and jumps on plane. With the 4 blade I though I would lose mph but with the increase rpm I guess it really made a difference. very happy with new performance.

yea I just started using transom straps, much more convenient.  got them off amazon not sure the brand

I use the platform for the rear tie up.

I have 90 degree angled bumpers that I tie to the grab bar on the console. they work fairly well but very limited on anchor points.

I don't have rod lockers on my 92 but rod racks under gunnel. I got bungie parts (stainless hooks) from west marine. but the bungies wear out pretty quick I final gave up trying 

Archived