Brutal Day - But better than the honey-do's

On Saturday, DonH and I headed for a trip to Choko and points south....forecast was 10-15 from the E/SE, so I was game....Donh was hearing15-20, and his weather was correct.

After trying to find something on the low in Storter on the outside, up near clam pt - NADA, waited for the incoming down South..Bird Key, NADA, Seminole Pt - NADA, Wood Key - NADA and even our double secret handshake with pinky spot - NADA...it was brutal...I think DonH had a few small jacks, one lady fish.....I found a lost trout and a few meow's....after 7 hours, we made our way back to ramp.....not a stellar day, but, on the water with my bud - enjoying the porpoise,  gulls, pelican and other life you don't see in the city....

How did anyone else do....or did y'all stay home ???

Until the next time......

dc

I haven't received reports from my Choko neighbors all week which means that fishing must really stink right now!

After I saw the wind forecast last Friday I decided to give my hull sides some polishing since I'll be down there almost half of May.

Dino- When we get together I'll give you some ideas of areas your boat can fish very close to Choko so you & Donh won't burn much fuel or fight the Springtime winds. Many days when it's windy I'm only on a plane for a few minutes then I putt from spot to spot and run a few minutes back to CIP at the end of the day. Fishing those areas can be just as good as any of the rivers or bights down south.

On 5/1/2017 at 8:10 AM, Wanaflatsfish said:

On Saturday, DonH and I headed for a trip to Choko and points south....forecast was 10-15 from the E/SE, so I was game....Donh was hearing15-20, and his weather was correct.

After trying to find something on the low in Storter on the outside, up near clam pt - NADA, waited for the incoming down South..Bird Key, NADA, Seminole Pt - NADA, Wood Key - NADA and even our double secret handshake with pinky spot - NADA...it was brutal...I think DonH had a few small jacks, one lady fish.....I found a lost trout and a few meow's....after 7 hours, we made our way back to ramp.....not a stellar day, but, on the water with my bud - enjoying the porpoise,  gulls, pelican and other life you don't see in the city....

How did anyone else do....or did y'all stay home ???

Until the next time......

dc

I went Peacock fishing in the canals.  Too windy.  

IMG_4698.JPG

13 hours ago, conocean said:

Dino- When we get together I'll give you some ideas of areas your boat can fish very close to Choko so you & Donh won't burn much fuel or fight the Springtime winds. Many days when it's windy I'm only on a plane for a few minutes then I putt from spot to spot and run a few minutes back to CIP at the end of the day. Fishing those areas can be just as good as any of the rivers or bights down south.

Always willing to learn...

i've actually caught some nice reds within sight of Choko....and yes, we probably should have just stayed close and explored around Rabbit Key, Jewel Key, Jack Daniels, etc. and roamed around the back.....

I'll come over and visit in May in a few weeks and grab a trailer for the weekend....I'll see if I can drag along DonH....as promised, the first bottle of rum is on me for recommending the MA17 :)

dc

1 hour ago, whichwaysup said:

Wannaflatsfish - that 15-20 mph wind really makes you love on that MA doesn't it?  We're getting that nasty wind up here too, driving me nuts, but at least I'm staying dry and not doing spinal compressions!

Yep, I have been very very impressed on the ride.....

Amazing....

dc

Archived