Sign in to follow this  
Hightailin18

Ideas,how to rebuild a 71 bonefisher

I just bought a 1971 bonefisher in ok condition, however it needs work and I would like to remove all the wood . I'm not sure how to go about this project and could use all the help I can get . I have some knowledge in fiberglass work , but have no idea how to remove and replace them . I've always loved Hewes boats and am so excited to finally own one !!! Thank you for any and all help . 

We have had photojournals on rebuilding various Hewes hulls from the 70's and 80's.  Look in other sections of the Hewes pages, and try the search function.

We look forward to your journey !!

Mod-1

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 9:04 PM, Hightailin18 said:

I just bought a 1971 bonefisher in ok condition, however it needs work and I would like to remove all the wood . I'm not sure how to go about this project and could use all the help I can get . I have some knowledge in fiberglass work , but have no idea how to remove and replace them . I've always loved Hewes boats and am so excited to finally own one !!! Thank you for any and all help . 

cut ! you're going to need a diamond blade on an angle grinder.

transom - "tap test" use a small ball peen hammer,tap on the transom.when you tap the transom,you should hear a sharp distinct tone,if you hear a dull thud,that means delamination.any problems,mean replacement/recore

deck: walking on it,any portions feel "soft" ?  any soft areas,that means a deck replacement.cutting the deck around the perimeter,for removal.you're able to check condition of the stringers...

composites are the way to go,however composites require a specific technique to hold fasteners - be aware of that !

• Like 1