Starbrite fiberglass stain remover - WOW

whichwaysup

Hurricane posted a note a while back about using the Starbrite Fiberglass Stain remover.  I'd used Bar Keeper's friend before and had to get under the boat to scrub the yellow off, plus watch out for it getting on the trailer, then deal with the residue.  It did a good job, but when I saw Hurricane's post, I thought I'd give it a shot.  My 2000 MA was getting some yellowing on the bottom that was spreading quickly.

All I can say is WOW - that was easy!   I sprayed the stuff on, waited about 5 minutes, and sprayed it off with a hose.  It definitely tells on you when you miss a spot - you go back and it is perfectly white except where you missed in the first application!   Here are some before and after shots.   Highly recommend!  

20170428_104844.jpg

20170428_081146.jpg

20170427_101806.jpg

Boat looks great.

I had the same tannin stains. I try to buff them out with compound, and that didn't get it done. As Gus said I used it with the same outstanding results, its as easy as spray on an rinse off. I also kept the trailer wet, didn't see any etching on the trailer.

I have used "Iron Off" which is for removing rust stains on porcelain tubs and sinks....it works great. Bought it a Ace hardware store in a quart container in powder form. Mix an ounce to gallon of water in pump up sprayer. I've never tried the star brite but I'm sure it's a good product.

Be careful with Mary Kate On Off, it is acid based and will harm aluminum.  I used it to dissolve some barnacles residue from leaving my old boat in the water too long.  It will irritate your eyes.  Looks like that StarBrite product may be the ticket.  

Starbrite has oxalic acid  

Oxalic acid (CAS No) 144-62-7 8 per cent  Acute Tox. 4 (Oral), H302

Hydroxyacetic acid
(CAS No) 79-14-1
3 per cent

Sulfonic acids, C14-16-alkane hydroxy and C14-16-alkene, sodium salts*
(CAS No) 68439-57-6
0.5 -1.5 per cent

Oxalic acid seems to be the ingredient of choice in almost all products

Strength and other acids may vary but good old oxalic acid is there to do the job.

The SB Fiberglass Stain Remover does indeed work awesome! I didn't use the gel that comes in navy bottle but the spray in white bottle worked just fine. Hit up my moderately tanic stained hull with that stuff, let set 2minutes then hosed off. Followed-up with coat of Star Brite cleaner wax and finished with coat of SB polish for the win!

Confused ... 😬

Sooooo I find out that research shows , if one maintains his trailer , it is doomed and on its way to MIA .

I just bought some of this product , so I can maintain my boat , as well .

Guess I am screwed ????

Whatever .

FISH ON 🇺🇸☠️😜

Still LMFAO

Outlaw - 

You are clearly confused.   Out of the goodness of my heart, I will 'splain this to you:

1) You can either clean your trailer, or you can feed poor people.  

2) Shiny trailers get stolen by poor people

3) Ergo, if you clean your trailer instead of feeding poor people, they steal your trailer.

4) So, if you are going to clean your trailer, go ahead and install a mini-fridge on it and keep it stocked with sandwiches so that anyone who is thinking about stealing your trailer can instead get a free meal and therefore leave your trailer alone.

Obviously, cleaning the staining off of your hull has nothing to do with any of this since poor, hungry, trailer-stealers only steal trailers.   When your clean boat is on the shiny trailer, it serves as a deterrent.   When your boat is not on the trailer, you are usually on the boat, which serves as a deterrent from them stealing your boat.

Do you understand this now?  Seriously, it isn't that difficult.

Archived