2000 Maverick Master Angler 17 Hatch issues....

Hey all, new to the forum and also, kinda new here with a Maverick Master Angler I'm restoring.  Does anyone have any idea how to keep the rear hatches, under the seat pads, closed while trailering???  Seems odd that they open to the stern, as with one little bump, mine seem to open, which stresses the stop cables and breaks them off, which then pops the cushions off and makes me stop!  I know I should probably take the cushions off, which I've done, but the hatches still lift up while driving and as soon as the wind catches underneath it, the flies open and busts the cables, which I've replaced 3 times already.  Any help?  I'm figuring one of you guys have had this problem and will get me to a better place!

Thanks in advance!

Bryan

Hey Searobyn -

Both of my MA's had straps that secured the hatch lid.  My 87 used cloth straps with metal holes embedded in them that were attached to the hatch.  They hooked over oblong buttons that twisted and held them in place.    

My 2000 MA uses a rubber strap assembly.  I'll see if I can get pics.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 6:36 PM, searobyn said:

Hey all, new to the forum and also, kinda new here with a Maverick Master Angler I'm restoring.  Does anyone have any idea how to keep the rear hatches, under the seat pads, closed while trailering???  Seems odd that they open to the stern, as with one little bump, mine seem to open, which stresses the stop cables and breaks them off, which then pops the cushions off and makes me stop!  I know I should probably take the cushions off, which I've done, but the hatches still lift up while driving and as soon as the wind catches underneath it, the flies open and busts the cables, which I've replaced 3 times already.  Any help?  I'm figuring one of you guys have had this problem and will get me to a better place!

Thanks in advance!

Bryan

I had the same problem on my 2000 17' MA, mine had some plastic catches that continually broke.  I finally broke down and had locks installed, Bob at Inshore did a really nice job, on that install.  You can do them yourself and I think for the costs it's well worth it.

IMG_0829.thumb.JPG.91085c14e351ca0b090bcc74289351c2.JPG

Archived