Transom savers

Okay folks, what exactly do these ywedges do?  I cant see how they protect the transom, since they simply replace the tilt trim piston support.  I hate trailering with my engine tilted up, but for the price I want to know how these are better than the normal set up.  Thanks in advance!

you would be right, they don't protect the transom, it's more of the trim/tilt support which you can use a block of wood or pvc for. You have to keep the motor from flexing at all to save the transom, which means isolating the lower unit. You can google transom savers, I use a MyWedge also but all it really does is act as a shock absorber,

• 4 months later...

Can you keep your motor in an almost upright position?  My HPX 15 fter can trailer in the upright stance and has no need for anything. My Hewes  20ft LT can be trailered in an almost down position so I just put a block to take pressure off the tilt trims.  Been doing this for more than 10yrs and no issues. 

• 1 month later...

I use the "m-y wedge" motor support, but I was warned (depending on what motor you have) to look out for any grease zerk fittings that might be near the trim pistons. On my Yamaha, I use the m-y wedge on the left side to avoid damaging a fitting on the right side. Your motor may be different.

Archived